What can I do with extra pie mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Can I freeze pumpkin pie mix? I didn't realize that the recipe made 2 pies. Can I freeze it, if so, how long?

I have an apple and cranberry pie that called for a double batch. It froze very good. Mine was more of a crumple topping, but crusts do freeze very easily. Just make sure you wrap it up tight in plastic and then foil.

other options

you probably don't want to serve two pumpkin item at one meal, but here are some other things you can do.

- pumpkin soup: thin to nice soup consistency using either/or/and milk, cream, chicken stock, yogurt, etc.;season to taste with salt and pepper. a grate of fresh nutmeg generally goes well, but pumpkin lends itself to many flavorings and additions. i'd suggest poking around your condiments and leftovers and imagine how they would be. for example, maybe leftover brocolli chopped small and some dijon mustard.

- use it instead of mashed banana and you get pumpkin muffins/bread

- just go ahead and make the double recipe, then just bake the filling in a casserole or custard cups. no need for a crust(less fattening too). the oven's on anyway, so may as well throw them in at the same time.

- you can make a nice crepe batter with pumkin. very tasty, but a bit difficult to work with. you'll definitely need to use a spatula to turn them over.

- come to think of it (and i've never made it before) but pumpkin pancakes sound like they could be pretty good. maybe bump up the baking powder by a teaspoon or so, then combine the pumpkin mix with your milk before adding to the dry ingredients. topped maybe with some sourcream or whipped cream and fresh berries.

philso, thank you. I actually still have the mix in my freezer:blush: I should get it out and see if it's okay. Thank you for ideas!! The pumpkin bread/muffins sound really good. I may have to try that one!!

Back
Top Bottom