Coffee Press?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mackeeg

Cook
Who uses a coffee press? How do you use them? How do they work? Where do you buy them?

I guess its a French Press, they just said coffee press, but it sounds like your reply?

Last edited:
Are you talking about a French press? I have used those before. Mainly I use it when camping. Basically you put the coffee in the French press then fill with water. After a few minutes you put the plunger in and press down to the bottom. this will move all the grounds down and leave you with just the liquid. They are a great and easy way to make an excellent cup of coffee. You can buy one just about anywhere.

As GB said, you can pick up a french press in a lot of places. They sell them at all the kitchen stores, online at places like Amazon and Fantes, and at a lot of the houseware chains like Bed Bath & Beyond. You can get them in a variety of sizes - 3, 8, and 12 cup.

I have the 3 cup and usually let the coffee steep 3 maybe 4 minutes before plunging. Makes a good cup of joe.

OHHHHHH, that's what a French Press is! We use the term cafetiere in the UK!:) FP sounds like a wrestling hold!:LOL:

While I very much prefer coffee from a press, you must be aware that there is a texture difference. A small amount of what can be best described as "sediment" will be in the bottom of the cup. I got used to it in a couple of cups.
I have read that using paper filter can filter out certain oils that contribute to the good taste of the coffee....I've no proof but do tend to agree.
Also, I buy my coffee from a local roasting house (Petaluma Coffee and Tea Company), and they grind my coffee specifically for a press. If you gring your own, use a burr mill. A blade based grinder makes some of the coffee too fine and increases the sediment in the bottom of the cup.
It doesn't take any longer to make coffee in a press than a drip system. I can clean up my press in a minute of so.

My vote is for the press!

Mark

Very good point about the different grind size Mark! You would not want to use coffee that has been ground for a drip machine in a press unless you like drinking grounds :LOL:

I love my French coffee press. It is good for when you only want 1-2 cups of coffee. And when the electricity goes out you can still make coffee, :cool: if you have a gas stove. I have an insulated sleeve for mine to help keep the coffee warm longer.

Back
Top Bottom