Gnocchi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lsutiger

Assistant Cook
About to try and make gnocchi for the first time. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or anything regarding said dish. I have heard/read different ways to prepare the potatoes, boiling vs baking. I went with baking. I've only had gnocchi a few times, and, at first, I was suprised by the texture; I expected it to be a little more firm. I plan to boil them, then pan fry them real quick to try and get a bit more firmness on them. Also going to stuff them with a ricotta/mozarella/basil mixture. Anyways, any tips for before I begin this culinary endeavor would be awesome.
Thanks

You're going to stuff them? I have never made them but I am having trouble with the "stuffing" concept. How will you do that?

When I went to SF this summer, we went and ate at some restaurant in north beach that did it. I googled it to see how they did this, you know since they're such small objects. Anyways, the literature I found said that you could do it two ways. One way was that when you make it into the roll/snake, make a little indentation the length of the roll with your finger, put some of the stuffing mixture inside, then fold it over making sure it is sealed all around by the potato mixture. Another way said to make little balls, flatten them, put a dollop of the mixture on there, then roll it back into gnocchi form. I have no clue if this will work, but that's what I've read, so I'm going to try it and see what happens.

and I really love ricotta.:)

My thoughts are the same as Kitchenelf's. I have never heard of stuffing them. I can't even begin to think how you would do that.

You might just want to serve the ricotta/mozarella/basil mixture over top instead.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out. I have seen many a gnocchi go down the drain by friends who wanted to try to make it - if yours works I want you to give me detailed instructions. I love it! I just don't want to make it! So any hints will be appreciated. I, personally, cannot imagine doing the stuffing but everything is worth a try at least once. What's the worst that will happen? The stuffing will leak out and you'll have a sauce instead. :LOL:

Potato gnocchi are very simple to make, you just need to have a light hand when mixing the potato and flour, and make certain you work with HOT potatos. Ouchies!!:)
I put my potato's thru' a ricer, and I dont use egg.
I am interested to hear how you get on stuffing them also. Sounds like a very fiddly job but hey... they could be a real winner.:chef:

There are some good tips (re the flour, using a ricer, and filling ideas) here:

http://www.starchefs.com/events/studio/techniques/HSmith/index.shtml

You mentioned you prefer a ricotta stuffing. This ricotta, mozzarella, basil and walnut filling, looks delish:

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/31/6366

If you would like a recipe using the stuffed gnocchi in a gratin, check this one out: (It might be a little rich, if you're stuffing them.)

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/mushroom-gnocchi-gratin-18719.html#post218877

Edited to add: the fois gras, pears etc., are fillings I hadn't thought of, but sure you could come up with dozens. Good luck. Keep us 'posted' on the stuffed gnocchi.

Last edited:
I'm a little late getting in here, but I just wanted to add that I have never had any trouble using leftover potatoes to make the dough. Just mashed 'em up and added flour til I got the consistency I wanted. My kids quite enjoy helping me roll dough "snakes" and cutting the gnocchi etc.

I've never tried to stuff them (they're fiddly enough for me without that!), but my tip would be to keep a glass of water on hand and dampen the edges of the gnocchi to get a good seal around the stuffing. Good luck and keep us posted!

lsutiger said:
When I went to SF this summer, we went and ate at some restaurant in north beach that did it. I googled it to see how they did this, you know since they're such small objects. Anyways, the literature I found said that you could do it two ways. One way was that when you make it into the roll/snake, make a little indentation the length of the roll with your finger, put some of the stuffing mixture inside, then fold it over making sure it is sealed all around by the potato mixture. Another way said to make little balls, flatten them, put a dollop of the mixture on there, then roll it back into gnocchi form. I have no clue if this will work, but that's what I've read, so I'm going to try it and see what happens.

and I really love ricotta.:)
why don't you make them unstuffed first before you try something complicated? None of us have ever heard of them stuffed... not to say it can't be done, but they are so good plain with some brown butter and sage! :)

Just finished rolling them, I ended up using ricotta, fresh basil, fresh rosemary, and fresh oregano. I made them into the snake, made a little indentation with a really small spoon I found in a drawer, then put the filling in. There is not a lot of filling in there, hopefully enough that I can taste it though :D. On to the boiling part. Thanks for all the replies, too.

1st batch finished. I had to replace the water after a couple because 2 or 3 o f them did end up falling apart. You can really taste the basil and oregano in them, but the ricotta taste didn't come through nearly as strong as I was hoping for. Like I said though, I did not use very much 'stuffing' since I've never made gnocchi before. I would say making a sauce would probably be a lot easier and just as effective tastewise. Trying to get enough stuff into them to make a really big difference would probably require making the gnocchi much larger than normal. *shrug* good experiment

Just pan fried like 5 of them to see what it tasted like. Really good, nice and crunchy, which is how I like them, although I'm sure once you do that, they technically become something other than gnocchi. Anyways, good thread, thanks for everyone's help/comments!

Glad they turned out! Pan frying I think is quite common.

Alix - I may have to try these one day - with you "right beside me" :chef:

Haha, yeah you really should try it. I used two potatoes and made no less than a PILE of them. I'm going pan fry the rest of them later tonight, and make either some pesto or some kind of sauce to throw on top of it. BTW, they are really filling.

guess im late, but heres my two cents... using a ricer or food mill is the best way to process the potato.... also, when i make the dough, i take a pinch off, make one or two, drop in boiling water til it floats and then try it for texture and decide if the dough is right at that point before i roll them all out... also, i worked in a restaurant that made the gnocchi without potatoes, they were made from a mixture of ricotta and mascarpone plus flour and tossed with butter, grape tomatoes, and basil - sorry but i dont have the recipe.... the restaurant was "Al Di La" in Charleston, SC

I really prefer gnocchi made with ricotta. They don't seem as heavy as those made with potato. I think they're easier to make, as well.
I have a batch in the freezer which I will cook on Friday.:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom