Chicken Rolls/Devon Chicken questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foodnoob

Assistant Cook
I am an absolute noob ( newbie) to cooking.

I bought these meat slices which you put on sandwiches, called "Chicken roll" and "Round Devon ". Both are round circular discs in shape.

I have kept them in the freezer, but I am not sure how to prepare them to place in a sandwich.

Do I just defrost it? do I have to cook the meat?

13 views and no one has an answer?

Is this really a cooking forum?

I am not sure they freeze very well because of the possible fillers used in making it. If I am visualizing the "cold meat/deli meat" you are describing (I don't know "round Devon) it is a chicken mixture which is then formed into a roll for uniform slicing and making a sandwich.
Are the slices very thin, as you would stack in a sandwich? Or are they maybe 1/4" thick? You might be able to shred/chop them and make a sauce for pasta a bit like tetrazini.
What purpose did you purchase it for?
As I said, I'm not clear on what this is--and it was only 6 US nighttime hours since your first post which may account for no replies. Hope others will be along to help.

If you bought these at the deli counter for sandwiches, you can make a sandwich with the chicken roll as you would with sliced chicken from a roast.

I haven't heard of round devon.

The meats should be defrosted and are already cooked.

Welcome to DC. I would never freeze coldcuts for sandwiches. Most of the coldcuts come in a package which can be sealed from the top. I think you should throw away the Chidken Rolls and Deven.

Chicken and turkey cold cuts freeze and thaw out better than ham cold cuts. What you have should be fine for sandwiches or even for use in a casserole dish.

Thanks thats what I wanted to know. If they were already cooked or not.

I am just going to use them on sandwiches.

Not sure what Devon consists of but I am from Australia. I tried google but only got links to the Devon (city/town) in the UK.

foodnoob said:
I am an absolute noob ( newbie) to cooking.

I bought these meat slices which you put on sandwiches, called "Chicken roll" and "Round Devon ". Both are round circular discs in shape.

I have kept them in the freezer, but I am not sure how to prepare them to place in a sandwich.

Do I just defrost it? do I have to cook the meat?

Welcome to DC, foodnoob. I think the lack of immediate response, was because this is not a 'product' everyone may be familair with. I would think there would be instructions on the package -- if not do a google - not under Devon a local, but a recipe.

Slice them up thin, slap them on a sandwich with some fresh butter lettuce and some Mango Chutney, a paper-thin slice of red onion and nothing will matter except how GOOD they taste!

PS - you may not have got a reply yesterday because the server for this site was down. no-one could answer!!

foodnoob said:
I bought these meat slices which you put on sandwiches, called "Chicken roll" and "Round Devon". Both are round circular discs in shape.

Yep - just take out of the freezer and put in refigerator for about 12-hours or so ... until thawed. Since you bought "meat slices which you put on sandwiches" - it sounds like "cold cuts" or "lunch meat" or "deli slices" - cooked and ready to eat meat.

What sandwich meats are called in Australian grocery stores is a mystery to those of us who do not live "down under". What you call "Chicken roll" could be what we call "rolled pressed chicken" ... and your "Round Devon" could be nothing more than a cooked rolled boneless Devon chicken - of course Devon chicken could be the breed, or a trade name.... (there is a Devon chicken from California).

Last edited:
Sounds like what I used to eat as a little girl - it was called "chicken loaf" - it was processed as all "get out" and I LOVED it!!!! LOL I could eat a pack of it while walking home from the corner store!

Yep - stick on some bread with some mayo and ENJOY!! Welcome to DC!

Back
Top Bottom