Calling all Computer experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
I'm afraid I'm not very computer savvy and run windows 98, as you may know Windows no longer supports this system and Nine MSN along with Yahoo 7 now require Multi media 11 to run their movie links but Windows 98 is not compatible to installing it. I'm also now unable to open some links mailed to my hotmail account and I'm assuming it's because of my 98 system.
I have been thinking about [a] Buying a new PC or Or upgrading my system which is what I would prefer to do.
If I buy a new PC I'm up for about $1000 and then start again. Although my PC is old it is the top of the range, however, someone has told me that it could be to slow to run any new system but I tend to disagree, and this is one reason for this post.
In my search for a solution I have come across the site below which offers upgrades at very cheap rates, maybe to cheap ???????
If I was to download an upgrade would I loose all my work or would it just take over the day to day running of my PC, and do you think it would be safe to do so.
Many thanks
Wayne
http://www.live-ware.net/index.php?target=manufacturers&manufacturer_id=9&OVRAW=windows%20xp&OVKEY=window%20xp&OVMTC=standard

I'm not familiar with the website. I'd want to have some assurance that they are legit before I download and install anything.

Also, check the system requirements for any upgrades you buy before doing so. If you have an older system, it may not be able to handle the new software.

bullseye said:
What is your current system? (i.e. processor, memory, hard drive, etc.)
Uh oh! Now that's a hard question for me. Just looking at the machine - It says - Diamond data 36X - Intel inside Pentium 11 - OCT
I know that it has a huge memory bank, does 40GB sound right. I have been unable to use more than 25% with all the work I have stored on it.
Does any of that make sense?

I've just had a browse through the site, Pentium seems Ok but I found this :- "
Technical Support Information: Since this is an OEM operating system it does not come with any free technical support. Telephone technical support is available through a paid service via a toll-free number and a charge per call. The phone number is included on your packing slip when you order." mmmmmmmmmmm?

Last edited:
Some. The 40 Gb is the hard drive size. Try right clicking on the "My Computer" icon and choosing "properties." What does it say below where it tells you the version of Windows? That should tell you the processor speed and the amount of RAM.

bullseye said:
Some. The 40 Gb is the hard drive size. Try right clicking on the "My Computer" icon and choosing "properties." What does it say below where it tells you the version of Windows? That should tell you the processor speed and the amount of RAM.
I've found :-
128 OMB RAM
System resources 67% free
File system 32 BIT
Virtual memory 32 BIT

Good wife thinks 80GB hard drive Bullseye

Last edited:
Well, Attie, your system (though I still don't know about the processor) should support Windows 2000, and be better with a minor RAM upgrade--just a snap in module. Most things that are compatible with Windows XP will work fine on Windows 2000, which has less "overhead," that is, it requires less in system resources. 80 Gb hard drive is enough for most people, myself included. As you start to install the Win2k upgrade, it will tell you what on your system is incompatible, and you can then find out if there is an upgrade that is if the incompatibility is with something you care about. I would strongly recommend that you do the upgrade/install from a CD so that you have the disk in case of future problems. And, backup, backup, backup, first!

Thanks for your help Bullseye, I won't download from that site, to dangerous I think. I might go check out a new machine, Santa might buy me one for xmas with a bit of luck.

I showed what you have to Cris, who is an IT expert. His opinion is "just get a whole new thing". Upgrade won't be worth it with your computer. (it is Pentium II, not 11 btw) These days you will get quite decent whole package, with much more power/capacity at much less than $1000, and with the brand new Windows system (Windows Vista) is about to premiere, I would say install this one.

Do a little more in depth research, if you don't go for all the fringe luxuries, getting an entire new set of computer may not cost as much as you think.:cool:

urmaniac13 said:
I showed what you have to Cris, who is an IT expert. His opinion is "just get a whole new thing". Upgrade won't be worth it with your computer. (it is Pentium II, not 11 btw) These days you will get quite decent whole package, with much more power/capacity at much less than $1000, and with the brand new Windows system (Windows Vista) is about to premiere, I would say install this one.

Do a little more in depth research, if you don't go for all the fringe luxuries, getting an entire new set of computer may not cost as much as you think.:cool:
Didn't tumble to the Pentium 11 = Pentium II! Urmaniac is right; if you can afford the new system, do it. If not, and the PII is at the upper range of the scale, you can still do the upgrade I described. Bear in mind that, if the new system comes with WinXP Home, you cannot restore from a Win98 backup. With WinXP Pro, no problem.

bullseye said:
Didn't tumble to the Pentium 11 = Pentium II! Urmaniac is right; if you can afford the new system, do it. If not, and the PII is at the upper range of the scale, you can still do the upgrade I described. Bear in mind that, if the new system comes with WinXP Home, you cannot restore from a Win98 backup. With WinXP Pro, no problem.
Gotcha! I think most come with XP home installed here. I saw an Acer for about $700 but not enough storage, 250mb?. So I should go for the XP pro to transfer my stuff? Good advise.
I guess, like most things, you get what you pay for. Money isn't a hassle, apart from a bit of cruising around here and the news sites I don't do much except a lot of home designing and drawings. I use less than 1 GB a month.
Thanks again good people
What are your thoughts on Acer? Del is pretty popular, don't know much about any others

Attie, these people are so right in their recommendations to you. My computer is almost 3 years old and it is a Pentium 4 with 80 GB and 512 in memory. I think you will be amazed at how much faster a new one will be and they are very right in the fact that it will not cost quite as much as you fear. Unless you add a bunch of bells and whistles to it. And since all of you are being so kind with your better knowledge of tech stuff; what do you all think about me possibly adding and external hard drive? I do try to burn back-up discs each month (especially of the pics of my grandkids!!) but I was told that an external hard drive would be extra insurance for this; especially if my computer got a bad glitch. The one I am thinking about is 250 GBs and I can get it at a decent price. I really appreciate your advice!!!! TIA!!!!

Designing and drawing take a bit of RAM. Between Acer and Dell, I'd go Dell. The 250 Mb is likely 256 Mb RAM. With Win XP, go with at least 512 Mb, preferably 1 Gb. If you know someone technically savvy, you can temporarily install your old hard drive and transfer the data that way, even if it is is WinXP Home.

bullseye said:
Designing and drawing take a bit of RAM. Between Acer and Dell, I'd go Dell. The 250 Mb is likely 256 Mb RAM. With Win XP, go with at least 512 Mb, preferably 1 Gb. If you know someone technically savvy, you can temporarily install your old hard drive and transfer the data that way, even if it is is WinXP Home.
Just ducked down to a warehouse that has computers on special and I think $900 to $1200 AU would do everything I need. Anything under the $900 is to light. They had Acer but I'll check out Del, we can buy them only over the net but at least they will build them to suit. This is where I went, grand opening day, noisiest joint in town.
http://www.wowwicked.com.au/

Oh I wish I had seen this last weekend. Dell had their big pre-holiday sale last weekend instead of this one and we picked up a brand new laptop with 1Gb of memory, 15.4" screen, 60Gb hard drive and CD/DVD RW for $499.00 (with taxes and a warranty upgrade $624.00 delivered) .

I have to agree, my first comment when I read the original post was "It'll be cheaper to replace it than to upgrade it". Win 2K alone will cost you about $200.00 (USD) then figure at least another $100.00 (USD) for a memory upgrade if not more. Heck, with brand-new desktops hovering at about $400.00 (USD) You 've already spent 3/4 the price of a new system and you still have an old machine. Definately check out Dell.com. If you have $1,000.00 AU ($778.00 US) set aside for a new machine, you can get a really nice system for that.

Happy Holidays
~ Raven ~

Last edited:
Do look for a computer with a DVD burner. It'll make archiving photos easier- you can even burn two copies and store one at another location for safety.

attie said:
Uh oh! Now that's a hard question for me. Just looking at the machine - It says - Diamond data 36X - Intel inside Pentium 11 - OCT
I know that it has a huge memory bank, does 40GB sound right. I have been unable to use more than 25% with all the work I have stored on it.
Does any of that make sense?

I've just had a browse through the site, Pentium seems Ok but I found this :- "
Technical Support Information: Since this is an OEM operating system it does not come with any free technical support. Telephone technical support is available through a paid service via a toll-free number and a charge per call. The phone number is included on your packing slip when you order." mmmmmmmmmmm?

An easy way to do that on Windows XP (not sure if it works on Win 98) is open the start tab, and click run.
Then type in dxdiag, and that should open a program that shows all your computer details.... or alot of them.

Back
Top Bottom