Garbage disposer odors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
When I clean my disposer I use a product call, "Disposer Care". It is a packet you put down in the disposer and let a little stream of water run. The cleaning cycle is complete when the foam disappears and you hear a swish sound. Well, within about a day or two I still smell an odor. I do have a double sink. Could the smell be coming from the other side? What do you use to clean the pipes out with in your double sink? Thanks.

I had read many many times that putting a slice of lemon or orange would freshen the garbage disposal. DO NOT DO THIS!!!!! It caused me major bucks! I had to replace the disposal.

I have been using some Dawn Dissolver for spring cleaning and I have noticed that my drains seem clearer. I would not recommend putting the stuff full strength down the drain.

The odor is probably a combination of things so not one thing is going to cure it all. My old faulty water heater used to cause a stink. Rotting tree roots stink too. My old washing machine was not totally draining and the water left in the drain was really bad smelling.

If it is overpowering, you may have to call a plumber.

StirBlue said:
I had read many many times that putting a slice of lemon or orange would freshen the garbage disposal. DO NOT DO THIS!!!!! It caused me major bucks! I had to replace the disposal.

I have been using some Dawn Dissolver for spring cleaning and I have noticed that my drains seem clearer. I would not recommend putting the stuff full strength down the drain.

The odor is probably a combination of things so not one thing is going to cure it all. My old faulty water heater used to cause a stink. Rotting tree roots stink too. My old washing machine was not totally draining and the water left in the drain was really bad smelling.

If it is overpowering, you may have to call a plumber.

The smell is not to bad, it is just when you are standing over the sink. Is the Dawn Dissolver you are using, the stuff you do dishes with or is it a cleaner?

I regularly put cut up lemon and lime peels through my disposer, first of all to get rid of them and secondly to freshen the smell. Never had a problem.

JoAnn L. said:
The smell is not to bad, it is just when you are standing over the sink. Is the Dawn Dissolver you are using, the stuff you do dishes with or is it a cleaner?

Dawn Dissolver is a dish & pan cleaner. I found it in the same section as the dish washing detergent at Walmart. It is even dishwasher safe when you spray it on a stubborn problem and then wash it in the dishwasher.

As for the lemon/orange wedges, they became imbedded under the grinding wheels in the disposal. The blades were bent with the force of the motor. What size was the wedge? Probably an 8th of the lemon.

JoAnn L. said:
When I clean my disposer I use a product call, "Disposer Care". It is a packet you put down in the disposer and let a little stream of water run. The cleaning cycle is complete when the foam disappears and you hear a swish sound. Well, within about a day or two I still smell an odor. I do have a double sink. Could the smell be coming from the other side? What do you use to clean the pipes out with in your double sink? Thanks.

My disposall only smells when something is in it. It is also important to let it run long enough to get all the stuff through and out to the trap/line/etc.
I don't have a double sink but I would suggest using some drain cleaner in the other one to get it clean/free.

again, VINEGAR!!!! It wont get stuck and will rinse through,neutrilize the odor and do some disifecting at the same time and only costs a $1.50. per Gallon

I am sure there are products on the market to flush the drains. This could be the problem not the garbage disposal. Try some and if that doesn't help I would call a plumber.

I'm another regular citrus grinder.
Been doing it since day one and never had a problem.
One thing that I also do on a regular basis is to pull the rubber piece from the top of the disposal and wash it. It seems to collect gunk around the bottom edges which kinda smells funky:rolleyes:

I would be tempted to put about a cup of clorox down the OTHER drain and leave overnight. It sounds like maybe you've got some gunk built up in the pipes.

Edited to add - Professional Strength Liquid Plumber that foams up works good too.

Last edited:
Renee Attili said:
again, VINEGAR!!!! It wont get stuck and will rinse through,neutrilize the odor and do some disifecting at the same time and only costs a $1.50. per Gallon

I am glad to know that I am not the only person who buys white vinegar by the gallon for multi purposes. It is a great window cleaner. I also use it to clean the shower doors. I add a cup to the washer when I wash towels. I put it in my rinse mop water when I am spring cleaning my floors. It is good for cleaning children's plastic toys.

What are your other particulars for using white vinegar RA?

(raw potato juice cuts grease.....when in a bind, I have used it to clean my stove.)

Renee Attili said:

I have a booklet called The Heinz Vinegar Almanac. (I forgot I had it). For the drain it says. There are two methods, first boil a cup of vinegar and pour into drain. Cover drain tightly for a few minutes and flush with cold water. The second method: pour a handful of baking soda into the drain and add 1/2 cup vinegar. Cover drain for several minutes, then flush with cold water. Hey, I guess it is worth a try. Thanks.

I Cut up lemon or orange into small pieces, do it regularly, never had any problem, never have any smell from disposal. I have 3 of them in the house, that is because I have 3 kitchens, ok, 1 is only used 1-2 weeks per year, but other 2 are used regularly on the daily bases. Chemical products for disposal is kind of waist of money in my opnion, because smell could come back at any moment no metter how long ago you cleaned the disposal.
But to tell you the truth the disposal is not a good idea for pipes anyway. Anything that you can dump in the garbage is better anywway. Just ask any profecioanl plumber.

pour a handful of baking soda into the drain and add 1/2 cup vinegar. Cover drain for several minutes, then flush with cold water.

This is the method I use to freshen drains and it really does work.

Jabbur...that works but a word of warning..Don't do it after you clean your sink with Comet Clenser..I did and later we heard a loud POP. I blew up my bathroom sink :LOL: A piece of the yellow enamel about the size of a silver dollar was missing and it was black. Oh well, i got a new sink out of doing that..:)

Ice cubes will clean to blades and sharpen them too

Last edited:
Dove: Overdoing it in the lavatory. Did you think you were back at Camp LeJeune? & Dove says....hehehe just practicing for the big one!

I put vinegar down there after I toss baking powder down there. Works well.
As far as lemon or any other peel, I use the disposal for that and any other tearable foodstuffs.

Back
Top Bottom