I love my salt pig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
All this talk about salts reminded me of the wonderful salt pig I inherited from a friend.

It's right next to my stove, with an easy-access hole so I can stick my hand in for a pinch, and it never clumps or hardens. It's invaluable to me!

Here are a bunch of pictures of salt pigs (among other things) from a Google image search, for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about: salt pigs - Google Image Search

Mine is closer to Nigella Lawson's, on the second page of the search results.

Lee

I love the idea of a salt pig, but it would never work for me. I have a thing about bugs and having an open container like that, while fine in the winter, would bug me out (sorry couldn't resist) too much.

I have something similar with a flip lid though that I keep my salt in and I find it invaluable.

got a salt box with easy slide lid right by the range. also have a salt pig for large crystal sea salt.

GB said:
. I have a thing about bugs and having an open container like that, while fine in the winter, would bug me out (sorry couldn't resist) too much.

I have something similar with a flip lid though that I keep my salt in and I find it invaluable.

Could bugs live in salt? Wouldn't it kill 'em? I use one of the Alton Brown kosher salt flip top thingies, yeah, I'm a nerd.

Geez, you guys are high tech :neutral: I keep mine in a small, lunchbox size, round Tupperware container that I pull out when I'm cooking and put in the spice cupboard when I'm not.

I simply use a big glass shaker that "lives" on a shelf over the stove. Couldn't use a salt pig because our house is not air-conditioned and it's very, very humid here. I also worry about little creepy crawlers.

I have a neat little bowl with lions on the side (DH is a Leo and it was a gift for him since he's a great cook too). I've had it for years and never seen a bug in it. I think one sniff and they would know better than to crawl into a salt bowl.

Linda

I live in humid Missouri, and the salt in my salt pig never gets damp. Don't ask me why--I understand it has something to do with the shape.

Shakers clog, but the salt pig does not. I never see a bug in it, but I don't have many bugs in the house anyhow.

h2oct said:
I just use salt right out of its original blue box Why do you guys transfer your salt into another container?

I transfer mine to a small container because I don't open the box enough to reach in and grab a pinch. Also, if I get a pinch with wet hands or otherwise get the salt messed up a little, it's not the whole box that gets ruined (so to speak). I can carry my little Tupperware thingy outside and leave it by the grill too, as long as I snap the lid back on. I admit though, I never forget it... not with the peppermill setting right beside it :rolleyes:

h2oct said:
I just use salt right out of its original blue box Why do you guys transfer your salt into another container?

So easy and convenient to reach in take a pinch or two. I use it every time I cook, and I cook a lot.

Bugs? There are no bugs. Why WOULD there be?

Lee

It's pretty safe to say that our common household pests (roaches, fleas, flies, ants, beetles, etc.) are going to give the salt pigs a no-go. Feeding on salt or even falling unsuspectingly into the salt would cause them to write out their wills as they would "mummify". Sal****er creatures are what you'd have to worry about and if owning a salt pig will cause shrimp, crabs, and lobsters to visit my house they are most welcomed. :):) BTW where does one purchase one of these?-----Been cooking for 30 years and have learned something new.:)

OMGoodness--I tried to print the words "salt" and "water" as one word and the filter bleeped out the letters--that's why you see the **** and if you spell out the missing letters you can see why. Sorry for any confusion!

I have a shaker jar meant for grated cheese or red pepper flakes. It has very big holes and never clogs with my kosher salt in it. I can easily get a lot of salt fast and distribute it evenly over a food item.

I have an issue with using hands that have touched raw meat dipping into a container of salt that would also season other items.

Andy M. said:
I have an issue with using hands that have touched raw meat dipping into a container of salt that would also season other items

Ick!!!!!I would never stick my nasty, raw-meat contaminated hands into my salt box (I don't have a pig--I like a lid on things), nor would I handle my pepper mill or spice jars with nasty contaminated hands!

foodstorm said:
Ick!!!!!I would never stick my nasty, raw-meat contaminated hands into my salt box (I don't have a pig--I like a lid on things), nor would I handle my pepper mill or spice jars with nasty contaminated hands!

That's those preppy people on TV who rub meat and then wipe their nasty hands on a dry towel and then use the towel to remove the moisture from lettuce leafs and then wipe their hands on the same towel and go on to making dessert! PBS had a husband/wife couple presenting a food show in which they did not even wipe their hands on the towel! After some viewer comments, they tried to remember but were not always successful. We at home wash our hands frequently when cooking.

I have a salt pig (red one) out all the time. When I need to salt lots of chicken or anything raw I put the salt in a small bowl and work. Then toss the salt in the little bowl and wash. - that way my salt pig does not get contaminated.

Back
Top Bottom