My DNA Search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I cannot remember if I shared with you guys that my wife a few years ago bought me a Ancestry DNA kit? I was adopted at birth.
Well I got back my test results and looked over the site for a few days. Then since I did not get any personal hits I gave up and forgot about it.
I really did not know how to utilize their web site properly.

Two days ago on Facebook a lady was searching for her twin brothers and that sent me back to the Ancestry site.
I find a message sent to me from 2019 by someone thinking she was my half sister. The site said she was a 1st cousin or 1/2 sister. I couldn't believe it and sent her a message right away. I even found her Facebook page and left a message there. I was pretty excited as I have not known any blood relatives.
I did not hear back so I Google her name.
I found her obituary. She died last September.

I guess I'm telling a cautionary tale. Don't wait, do it today. There may not be a tomorrow.

I was adopted too, and you are very right about not waiting. I found my birth mother through paper records with the help of some very lovely volunteers. She had been recently diagnosed with lung cancer and passed less than 3 months after I found her. I did get to meet her in person, flew to where she was living and spent about a week there.

I was adopted too, and you are very right about not waiting. I found my birth mother through paper records with the help of some very lovely volunteers. She had been recently diagnosed with lung cancer and passed less than 3 months after I found her. I did get to meet her in person, flew to where she was living and spent about a week there.

That is very cool. Had I checked sooner I might have met my half sister.
Since birth my adopted parents never held back about the adoption. However, they did not like it at all when I inquired about specifics.
That led me to believe that my biological parents very well could have been one of their relatives or close associates. Someone I might have known my whole life.
My wife and i would try and guess who it was for many years.
Turns out the DNA match I (Ancestry) found was a very close relative. Very close. She was also adopted so I am not sure how much she knew. But it would have been nice to meet at least one person that was actually related to me.

I have lived in the dark now for 65 years. I am now certain I will never know any more than I already know.
And I am just fine with that.

Last edited:
That is very cool. Had I checked sooner I might have met my half sister.
Since birth my adopted parents never held back about the adoption. However, they did not like it at all when I inquired about specifics.
That led me to believe that my biological parents very well could have been one of their relatives or close associates. Someone I might have known my whole life.
My wife and i would try and guess who it was for many years.
Turns out the DNA match I (Ancestry) found was a very close relative. Very close. She was also adopted so I am not sure how much she knew. But it would have been nice to meet at least one person that was actually related to me.

I have lived in the dark now for 65 years. I am now certain I will never know any more than I already know.
And I am just fine with that.
You should check Ancestry every now and then. You might find that there are relatives popping up once in a while. Lots of people get their DNA tested. You might want to join a FB group of people using DNA to find bio family. One of my FB friends found her bio family and has been helping other people to use the results of DNA to find theirs. I did a quick search and found this group: DNA Detectives. I think they can help you figure out how to use your DNA results to find bio relatives.

I wish you good luck finding some bio family.

Bones, If you can take the time to learn to use it, you should find a few other relatives. I do a LOT of ancestry research, and have found some surprises. At one point, I had a DNA match for a "very close relative - niece or first cousin". I did a little research, then called my brother, "Do you have a daughter somewhere that we don't know about?" His reply was, Oops! Did you find any others?

She was interested in family medical information, so I provided what she needed, but at his request, haven't been in contact since.

I have about 1500 folks tracked in my tree so far. If you want some guidance on how to use the DNA to find your relatives, DM me.

Update.
I did a little digging and found a possible niece. I sent private messages to everyone on her Facebook page that were related.
I got a call within several minutes and it was a family friend not a blood relative.
We talked for awhile and she told me many things about my half sister. She was an amazing woman. She told me she had been hunting for me. She had my name and was computer literate. So I wonder why she did not take the search outside of Ancestry DNA? I guess I will never know that answer. I'm very easy to find BTW.

She promised to pass on my information to anyone that might be interested. I have not heard from my niece as of this writing.
But either way I'm good with it.

Bones, If you can take the time to learn to use it, you should find a few other relatives. I do a LOT of ancestry research, and have found some surprises. At one point, I had a DNA match for a "very close relative - niece or first cousin". I did a little research, then called my brother, "Do you have a daughter somewhere that we don't know about?" His reply was, Oops! Did you find any others?

She was interested in family medical information, so I provided what she needed, but at his request, haven't been in contact since.

I have about 1500 folks tracked in my tree so far. If you want some guidance on how to use the DNA to find your relatives, DM me.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom