Bacardi Mojito Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I'm mostly a wine person, but do enjoy Margaritas & rum drinks. With that in mind, husband & I picked up a can of frozen Bacardi Mojito mix on a whim yesterday. While I usually make Margaritas from scratch, I've used their frozen Margarita mix in a pinch, & it's not bad.

However - I'd like to take this opportunity to steer you folks totally & completely away from the Mojito mix - lol!!!! Mixed it up yesterday & after just one sip, both of us poured our glasses down the drain, along with the rest of the pitcher. The closest description I can give you is mouthwash - bad mouthwash. And it literally took HOURS to get the awful taste out of our mouths.

So if you come across it & think to yourself, "Gee, maybe I'll give it a try" - keep walking. :LOL:

Yep - I will have to agree Breezy. No mix can compare to a freshly made mojito. It's funny how Margarita mixes AND other mixes will pass with flying colors. But there's nothing pleasant about pre-mixed mojito stuff. The ONLY thing nastier was when I went to a restaurant and their specialty was a mojito - how bad could it be, right? Well............I was certainly shocked when it was a dark green!!! They were out of mint so subbed it with......................gosh, it's even hard to write..........they subbed it with Creme de Menthe!!!!!!!!!!! GAG!

I HOPE you hadn't poured in the rum yet - that would have made me cry!

love2"Q" said:
thats a shame .. i was going to try it ..
thanks for the heads up ..

Yes, thanks here too because I may have tried it too!.

love1"Q" - instead of muddling the sugar I make a simple syrup. It's a bit quicker when you have a bunch of people drinking them. A quick stir instead of muddle, muddle, muddle, muddle, muddle.....:( I still muddle the mint and a lime but it doesn't take long at all. I make it not only with water and sugar but I add a lot of lime zest for a flavor boost.

If you ever run out of mint you can very safely use fresh basil - that's the first way I ever had them.

Unfortunately Kitchenelf, yes, I had already poured in the rum (sniff sniff. . .).

And while neither my husband nor I are snobby/picky eaters/drinkers, this was SO BAD, that neither one of us could even bear to take even a second sip.

I know above I said it tasted like mouthwash, but after using my Cool Mint Listerine this morning, I think that was insulting the Listerine - lol!!

Trust me - this stuff is WAY BEYOND AWFUL!!! (The fact that I poured all that good rum down the drain in a nanosecond should attest to that - lol!!!)

love2"Q" said:
thanks kitchen elf ...
wonder if i have any rum ..

Vodka works too - though rum is traditional and tastier IMHO.

BREEZY!!!!!!!!!! Now THAT brings a tear to my eye! But I've been there and actually, it's one of the few times I asked not to be charged for something. I guess why I felt so strongly is because I asked first if the mojitos were made from scratch and she emphatically and wide-eyed with glee said YES! - I mean how hard is it TO MAKE? limes (which you KNOW they have at a bar), mint (which they had), sugar (given), and club soda - scratch does not come out of something with the word "Mojito" anywhere on the label. And I want one now and there's no way to get my hands on some rum today :(

Yeah, I kinda laugh at those frozen drink mixes.
Fresh is best!

I don't make a traditional Mojito though, as I have a couple additions I make.
I make a simple syrup infused with mint (which I then strain out after).

My light rum I keep in the freezer.
Lime juice is fresh squeezed of course.
Then I use a carbonated mineral water like Pellegrino which lacks the sterile taste of most seltzers. It's kept in the coldest part of the 'fridge.

I roll two mint leaves between my thumb and index finger to bring the oils out. Then they go in the bottom of a tall glass. Next, a few ice cubes. Then the fluids... 1fl.oz. Lime Juice, 1.5fl.oz. "freezer" rum (sometimes 2fl.oz.), 1.5fl.oz. Mint Infused Simple Syrup (sometimes 2fl.oz.), and then 3fl.oz. or so of Pellegrino. Lime twist on the rim.

Actually drank a few of these Saturday sitting on my friends front porch along with some tortilla chips and a salad. Then she'll make White Russians with melted Vanilla Bean Haagen Daaz, and it's all downhill from there... (especially after a couple bottles of sweet red wine come out as the sun burns the horizon) :LOL:

I love summer.

Good to know Breezy! That sounds truly awful.

Kitchenelf, The simple syrup sounds interesting, but I count on the sugar as an abrasive when I am muddling. It really helps break up the mint to release all the oils.

I use cachaca instead of run when I have it. It is very similar to rum, but made from sugar cane. For me, the flavor just seems to go better. Rum is great too though. I can't wait to try it with basil!

Nicholas - that's not so far off I would call it "not" an original version. It's just a more "efficient" version!!! :chef:

You certainly know how to celebrate those summer days!!!!!!! :LOL:

I can switch between mojitos and mint juleps almost interchangeably this time of year. I make up the simple syrup infusted with mint for the mint juleps.

Add lime and rum instead of bourbon and viola! Mojito!!! (Again not perfect, but hey...)

John

Hey, Breezy, mojitos are easy enough to make from scratch. From everything you've ever written, you are more than capable of muddling a bit. You'll be so pleased if you do it yourself.

ronjohn55 said:
I can switch between mojitos and mint juleps almost interchangeably this time of year. I make up the simple syrup infusted with mint for the mint juleps.

Add lime and rum instead of bourbon and viola! Mojito!!! (Again not perfect, but hey...)

John

I came across a recipe from a bartender from NOLA who uses peach syrup instead of simple syrup in his juleps. We had it that way on Derby Day. The difference was superb. The peach and mint went together like hand in glove. You gotta try it.

mmmm...mojito's are my favorite! Making simple syrup ahead of time works great too. Nothing like a Mojito on a hot summer day!!!

Even though it's only supposed to be in the 70's today, I might have to pick up some fresh mint later! YUM!

well its going to be about 90 today .. so i think i
will gett the muddler out ..:cool:

I know I could make them from scratch, but frankly, am not a HUGE mint fan (which probably makes me an idiot for trying this in the first place - lol!!). I do like rum, however, & we just bought the mix to see why everyone was so hot about Mojitos.

I should have known better, since I'm not a Mint Julep fan either.

Nicholas Mosher said:
Yeah, I kinda laugh at those frozen drink mixes.
Fresh is best!

I don't make a traditional Mojito though, as I have a couple additions I make.
I make a simple syrup infused with mint (which I then strain out after).

My light rum I keep in the freezer.
Lime juice is fresh squeezed of course.
Then I use a carbonated mineral water like Pellegrino which lacks the sterile taste of most seltzers. It's kept in the coldest part of the 'fridge.

I roll two mint leaves between my thumb and index finger to bring the oils out. Then they go in the bottom of a tall glass. Next, a few ice cubes. Then the fluids... 1fl.oz. Lime Juice, 1.5fl.oz. "freezer" rum (sometimes 2fl.oz.), 1.5fl.oz. Mint Infused Simple Syrup (sometimes 2fl.oz.), and then 3fl.oz. or so of Pellegrino. Lime twist on the rim.

Actually drank a few of these Saturday sitting on my friends front porch along with some tortilla chips and a salad. Then she'll make White Russians with melted Vanilla Bean Haagen Daaz, and it's all downhill from there... (especially after a couple bottles of sweet red wine come out as the sun burns the horizon) :LOL:

I love summer.

Being a Mojito lover, I tried your recipe here just now and WOW! So super yummy! Pellegrino was such a nice touch over soda water, I used simple syrup and fresh mint, next time I will try mint infused syrup. Very tasty, thank you for sharing!

Now, back to work....drinking Mojito in the garden!!! :cool:

BreezyCooking said:
I know I could make them from scratch, but frankly, am not a HUGE mint fan (which probably makes me an idiot for trying this in the first place - lol!!). I do like rum, however, & we just bought the mix to see why everyone was so hot about Mojitos.

I should have known better, since I'm not a Mint Julep fan either.

I'm not a Mint Julep fan because of the Bourbon :sick: - try a mojito with basil instead of mint. It's QUITE tasty.

Katie E said:
Sounds like a plan, Vera. We had "regular" juleps for the Derby. In silver cups, of course.

Where does one find peach syrup or how does one make it?

You can get the peach syrup on line, naturally ( you can get everything on line, I believe). It's the same syrup you'd find in a coffee shoppe for flavouring coffees. Not having the time to order it, or able to procure any from a coffee shoppe, we opted to make our own. I blended equal parts of peach nectar (from the ethinc foods aisle in the supermarket) and the juice from a can of cling peaches in heavy syrup:chef:. It worked like a charm.

I want silver cups.

Back
Top Bottom