Fork as a cooking tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use tongs rather than any kind of fork when cooking meats. The fork pierces the meat and lets juices out.

Goodgiver...

I had to google the fork. It looks like a nifty fork for cutting in shortning, stirring spaghetti etc. Like Andy I prefer tongs, but sometimes I cheat!:LOL:

Enjoy!

I used to use a granny fork or tongs for that task but have been using a pigtail turner the last several years. Can't say enough good about this tool. I also use it to dredge my food in flour, egg, etc. I never get my fingers goopy when I use it. Buck gave it to me for a gift a number of years ago.

Here's a link to what they look like. At least it's the best link I could find, but you'll get the idea.

I've used my granny fork so much it's slanted on one side.:LOL:

Thank you, Uncle Bob. Aren't they great?!!! I wouldn't be without mine. I have 2...one short, small one and another much larger one that is great for using on the outdoor grill.

The large one is great for scaring grandchildren into behaving.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Just kidding.

I've stuck a fork in my hand (acidently of course) and watched the 'juices' run out, but I sure didn't bleed to death.

I must live a sheltered life. I've never heard of either of these.

Thanks to Katie, I now know what a pigtail turner looks like and how it's used (pretty clever), but what the heck is a granny's fork?

During cooking, bundles of muscle cells in the meat contract, forcing out liquid from the spaces between them. As the meat cools, those cell bundles relax, reabsorbing the liquid.

It's probably called an "old wives tale" because "he" couldn't admit "she" was right :LOL:

Forks are great for turning bacon, sticking into boiled potatoes to see if they're done and perhaps piercing the casings on fatty sausages and baking potatoes (so they don't explode in the oven).

BTW anybody notice how sharp and thin the tines were on old-time eating forks compared to most modern ones?

justplainbill said:
Forks are great for turning bacon, sticking into boiled potatoes to see if they're done and perhaps piercing the casings on fatty sausages and baking potatoes (so they don't explode in the oven).

BTW anybody notice how sharp and thin the tines were on old-time eating forks compared to most modern ones?

This is exactly what I use mine for !!

Back
Top Bottom