Authentic chili con carne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
Hi i have recently got into mexican food . Coming from the UK its prob the least known cusine. Does anyone know an authentic recipe for chili con carne i can try.

Thank you

Nick:

Chili is s Southwest American food that has as many versions as there are cooks. Here is a website which includes championship chili recipes. Just click on a champion's name and their winning recipe will pop up.

you can adjust the heat in any recipe by the type and amount of chiles used. Just reduce the amount of hot peppers and add more mild peppers.

As to which one. I can't say. Read over a few and pick one that sounds good. Try them all.

Why is it called chili con carne??? I have been searching for chili con carne in the grocery store and wondered why I have never found it.....

Chili refers to the peppers (chiles) and con carne is spanish for with meat. That describes the basic dish. Peppers with meat. Chili can be found canned. Also, and better is chili mixes which contain the spices and you add meat and tomato (or whatever).

Andy M. said:
Chili refers to the peppers (chiles) and con carne is spanish for with meat. That describes the basic dish. Peppers with meat. Chili can be found canned. Also, and better is chili mixes which contain the spices and you add meat and tomato (or whatever).

Thanks Andy... I for whatever reason thought it was something different than chili that you could make or buy in the stores. I never even thought about trying to look up a recipe for chili con carne to make this discovery on my own!! :rolleyes:

I don't know anyone that doesn't enjoy chili con carne.
The carne means beef in Spanish I believe. {feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm Norwegian after all:neutral: }
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/ChasenChili.htm
this is a wonderful chili.
it's tried and it's true. my mom made it every year for her very famous New Years Eve party and it was always gone in 30 seconds.
also on this page where you'll find the Chasen's chili recipe is a history of how chili con carne came to be.​

The ICS in its cookoffs recognizes two types of chili, red and green. The recipe requirements are not that strict, but one cannot ever, ever add beans or pasta.

The pasta ban I personally agree with, but beans are another matter. There are many who believe that a decent pot o' red cannot be prepared without frijoles, OK, beans. I was getting carried away with the southwest origins of the dish.

If you would like a very entertaining introduction to some of the deeper philosophical aspects of chili, I recommend picking up a copy of H. Allen Smith's "The Great Chili Confrontaton". Long out of print, you can pick up a used paper copy from Amazon or ABEbooks.com or almost any used book monger for less than five bucks. It is a fun read.

Most folks who make chili in this great land do not adhere to rigorous standards, no, not at all. It is totally free style but it usually includes, in addition to the obligatory chiles, meat, preferably beef, and tomatoes (in some form).

Are they mostly great? You betcha. And they can include everything from chocolate to cinnamon to crushed pork rinds.

The best bowl of red I ever had was in Brooklyn, forty years ago, in a little hole in the wall on Atlantic Avenue. The place was caught between meat packing places and most of the workers had gone home by eleven AM. So it was empty.

I ordered the red.

Maybe it was the fact that I was out of the cold January bitterness, or maybe I was just hungry.

But to me that was the ultimate chili.

I kinda sorta remember what it contained. And am working to reproduce it.

One of these days I may do so, but I hold out little hope.

One can never recapture a memory.

But I can turn out some darned good chili trying.

Cincinatti chili has the pasta, and the sauce is plain...onions beans cheese etc is added on top of the bowl. the meat is not browned but cooked in the tomato and chili sauce from a raw state. spicing includes cinnamon. Whiloe it is not a southwest chili, it is yummy in it's own right!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom