Wedding Theme Cake - Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kickchick32

Assistant Cook
Hopefully some of you will be able to give me some ideas here...

I'm getting married in 6 weeks and honeymooning in Alaska. I had a hard time finding a cake topper I liked until yesterday - I found a bride and groom moose set! I know, not very classy, but it's fun and I like it. So, I am trying to think of what I can do - keeping it pretty simple because a friend's mom is making my cake and she's not a professional, but does nice work. I want to add something else alaska-ish to the cake.

Example - I saw a cake with a monkey topper and they used a stand of leaves and wrapped it around the tiers of the cake to make it look like a jungle theme.

Any alaska ideas? I'm really a left-brainer and need some creative help.

My other idea is to skip the big cake and do baked alaska, but I think that would be way too much work.

kickchick32 said:
Hopefully some of you will be able to give me some ideas here...

I'm getting married in 6 weeks and honeymooning in Alaska. I had a hard time finding a cake topper I liked until yesterday - I found a bride and groom moose set! I know, not very classy, but it's fun and I like it. So, I am trying to think of what I can do - keeping it pretty simple because a friend's mom is making my cake and she's not a professional, but does nice work. I want to add something else alaska-ish to the cake.

Example - I saw a cake with a monkey topper and they used a stand of leaves and wrapped it around the tiers of the cake to make it look like a jungle theme.

Any alaska ideas? I'm really a left-brainer and need some creative help.

My other idea is to skip the big cake and do baked alaska, but I think that would be way too much work.

For cake topper ideas/themes, I would do a google search, or go to a bakery etc that specializes in wedding cakes for topper ideas. I have seen some sites that sell toppers only. Good luck & congrats. :)

Alasak theme? Put some sea-related animals and birds around the tiers of the cake, then pour something that looks like crude oil all over them. Molasses maybe?

:) A flat cake with mountains made from another cake iced green and white icing for snow on peaks .blue lakes maybe some pine tree toppers and some other animals put moose couple on the highest peak with royal icing flowers around moose and so on.I think it would be alot of fun if you cant find other toppers make them with cookie cutters and sugar dough cookies also decorated with royal icing make extra cookies as party favors.Just make one fair size wedding cake and make several sheet cakes to serve the guests.

Last edited:
You could get her to sprinkle the cake with edible glitter so it looks like ice crystals on top of snow.

And there's gotta be some cute little figurines of huskies out there somewhere...

The Alaskan state flower is the Alpine forget-me-not, which isn't that hard to reproduce in frosting. The state tree is a spruce, so you have scope for some cones in the deoration. According to Enchanted Learning, the state mineral is gold and the state gem is jade, so that might give you a colour scheme.

great ideas! I didn't even think of the huskies - And we're even going to visit the Iditerod headquarters!

I found a picture of a cake online that I like - it's classy and outdoorsy. It's got a chocolate transfer on it to look like birch tree bark and then using greenery between the tiers, and placing my little animals on different tiers, along with chocolates mmmm...

I'm going to look into the huskies and the forget-me-nots, and gold or jade..

I always think of moose, fish, wilderness, bear, and eagles...and lots of snow and mountains. Maybe some northern lights?

Back
Top Bottom