Chocolate-Mayonnaise Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I had a recipe given to me by a good freind, about 20 years back. She has since passed on. Somehow, I lost this recipe and have regretted it. It was a chocolate-mayonaise cake that was rich and delicious. I've been searching for a great recipe of the same for a number of years now. Happily, I've found one. It produces a light, extremely moist, and rich cake, with a hint of walnut flavor. I'm not quite sure how that happens, but it does. Here's the list of ingredients and the technique, given in my own words. It is a truly delectable find and I'm happy to be able to share it with all of you, my freinds.

Chocolate-Mayonaise Cake
Dry Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (Clabber Girl or Calumet brand)

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup mayonaise
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350' F.
Whisk to gether the dry ingredients in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Mix the vanilla extract with the water. Add the water mixture and mayonaise to the dry ingredents and whisk with a balloon whisk until all is smooth. Pour into a greased and floured 10" cake pan or a 9"X16" rectangular cake pan and bake for 30 minutes. Test by inserting either a clean butter knife or toothpick into the cake center. If it comes out clean, remove from the oven and cool as it is done. If it needs more cooking, increasae the time by 10 minute intervals until the cake is done.

This is a wonderful cake to serve with a white-chocolate frosting, or a milk-chocolate frosting as the cake is very rich and chocolatey. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

This recipe reminds me of the time my mother went to bake a cake but realized she didn't have any eggs. She substituted mayo for the eggs and some of the oil. It actually turned out very well. We didn't tell my sis about it until after she ate it - she's squeamish about stuff like that. Even to this day if you mention it, she'll turn a bit green around the gills. :D

GW,
your recipe for the cake sounds wonderful I have the 4 grandkids and parents coming tomorrow as usual and they all love anything chocolate...I have been trying to decide since yesterday on what to make for them..Thanks you just saved the day...
One question, is the cake a white cake or chocolate? I don't see measurments for chocolate, just a mention of the chocolate frosting...
kadesma:)

Last edited:
Never knew of a cake made with mayo GW. I will give it a whirl. I have eaten and made cornbread using it with delicious results. So the cake will be interesting.

Enjoy!

This sounds great. The kids and I are making chocolate cupcakes and we might just incorporate your recipe for them today. Thanks.

gw, i'm not a fan of mayo, but upon your cachet, i will print this one for a try someday.

My grandmother used to make a chocolate cake with mayo as an ingredient. She called it a millionaire cake. I have no idea where that name came from. It was very good, but I, too, am a bit squeamish about mayo in a cake. I'm not a mayo hater, but use it very conservatively. If I made one and my family found out, they wouldn't eat it either. I'd have to call it "the secret cake".

My aunt always made a chocolate mayo cake and it was wonderful! Even those who didn't like mayo loved her cake.

I have made that cake too but not for a good many years. Thanks for the reminder. I will make it again soon. It is a very moist cake as I recall.

It does call for cocoa. Didn't notice it was missing but remember the mayo part. Good call Breezy.

I just dug out my aunt's Mayonaisse Cake recipe. The ingredients are roughly the same as what Goodweed posted, but roughly doubled. Here is my Auntie Evie's recipe for Mayonaisse Cake:

4 c. flour 1/2 t. salt
2 c. sugar 2 c. mayo
8 T. cocoa 2 c. water
4 t. soda 2 t. vanilla

Mix all in bowl. Blend well. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min, in a 16 x 20 pan.
Frost with favorite frosting. (I'm sure the pan should be greased or else use parchment paper)

The flavor was wonderful. I always thought the mayo brought out the flavor of the cocoa.

Well, the cake is really a nice moist, feather light cake..I'm not much of a baker, so I just grabbed some nice unsweetened dark cocoa and added half a cup to the sugar and flour gave them a whirl mixed in the rest of the ingredients and prayed real hard.. If I can bake this cake and not get a door stop, your all of you are gonna love it...It is a really nice cake even without frosting:LOL:Both a dab of whipped cream and/or ice cream work beautifully here.

kadesma

Made your recipe into cupcakes for the kids. They enjoyed them topped with green peanut butter/cream cheese frosting as the witches' heads and chocolate coins with chocolate covered candy corns for the hats. Very cute and tasty treats. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions. Goodweed did say that the "cake is very rich and chocolatey", but doesn't mention adding any chocolate at all. Maybe he'll see this & amend the recipe? I'd love to try it as he described it. : )

We make a chocolate snack cake that uses mayo and I am continually amazed at the flavor. Like goodweed said, it is rich so we bipass the frosting for just powdered sugar ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom