Grinding coffee beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I just bought a coffee grinder and I am clueless as to how much beans to use and how long to grind. I bought a Breville grinder and it has a dial as to how long the grind should last. If I want to make about 6-7 cups of coffee, how much beans should I use and how long should they be ground?

It depends on what you're making ~ auto drip coffee or espresso? If auto drip, use 1 tablespoon for every 6 ounces of water (unless you like it lighter then use about 2 teaspoons coffee for every 6 ounces of water). Altogether, I'd use 6 tablespoons of coffee for the 6-7 cups. If making espresso then you should refer to your espresso maker. As far as how to grind the beans, I'd also refer to the instructions manual that came with your grinder. Good luck.

Crankin, are you in Australia? I looked online and an instruction manual can be sent if you are there. Didn't yours come with one?
I don't know what model you have. It looks like there's at least two. But if you have a smaller one, you may have to grind in 2 batches.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Post when you do figure it out to tell others if you are happy with it. Good luck and enjoy your new toy. What kind of coffee are you enjoying?

My coffee pot came with a scoop for the beans...and I use one scoop per cup of coffee. It's probably about a tablespoon's worth. You grind it as fine as your pot requires. Drip pots need a pretty fine grind, while percolators can use a coarser grind.

A tablespoon per cup is what I also use. If you find it's too weak you either have a grind that's too big or you like yours stronger i.e., just use a heaping tablespoon. I have found that the larger grind is usually the issue...just grind for longer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom