Salmonella

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
i read that in the US chillis and tomatoes where affected in the summer. I was wondering if everthing was ok now.

Agree with pdswife... I think it was all traced back to Mexico. I'm still eating my own maters and chilis that I grew myself.

maybe i should ask where the chillis i am buying come from as your FDA have not filed any updates since end of july.

But i guess if one cooks the chilli its ok.

Actually, nick, the last FDA update on Salmonella Saintpaul Outbreak was 28 August 2008.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has lifted its advice to consumers to avoid eating jalapeño and Serrano peppers grown, harvested or packed in Mexico.

The FDA has taken this action consistent with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) announcement that the Salmonella St. Paul outbreak appears to be over, and that jalapeño peppers and Serrano peppers grown in Mexico and associated with the Salmonella St. Paul outbreak are no longer in circulation in the U.S. market.

In July, the FDA lifted its advice to avoid raw red round, red Roma, and red plum tomatoes.

The FDA continues to work with CDC, Mexican authorities, state regulatory agencies and food industry groups to ensure that Americans continue to enjoy one of the safest food supplies in the world.

Dried chillis were never identified as being a problem that I could see.

Dried chilies were never implicated in the US outbreak, only fresh, raw Jalapeño and Serrano peppers - not ancho or mulato chilies. The FDA tracked down the sources of the contamination, followed the distribution chain, and got them all removed. Had any been sent to another producer who made "dried" chillies from them - they would have been identified and removed from the food chain, also.

I sincerely doubt any got shipped to London. Had there been any concern in the UK I am sure the FSA (your version of the FDA) would have issued warnings about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom