Pumpkin cheesecake trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

javelinpr

Assistant Cook
so im working on perfecting a pumpking cheesecake so i can bake it for Thxgiving. I could be called a noobie on this, i love cooking but ive never taken any clases, i havent read books on it or havent been teached by someone. I love cooking meat though(i think im good at it) but im not te best baker.

So i started by using this recipe:

joyofbaking.com/PumpkinCheesecake.html

since i wanted to try i did it today. used half of everything and i made my own pumking puree. for the rest i used the recipe but i overdid the cloves a little bit and now its a little too strong. That i can adjust the next time. What i dont seem to like much is the topping they used. i know i can sweetened it more but then it wouldnt be sour cream topping.

the pumking puree i made is not as strong as i would like it to be. i can seem to find much of pumkin taste on the cheesecake. Im thinking i should use canned puree for a stronger taste.

the texture of it is weird. i have on in the freezer and i will try it in a couple minutes but i just dont find it puffy llike other great Cheesecakes ive tasted. It isnt what i wanted it to be. either way im practicing so i can improve on it.

also i have cottage and ricotta cheese. if i were to add these would i improve the taste of the Cake??

Is there other way i could improve it so it can steal the show(maybe not, the turkey is expected to do that)?i definetly want to impress with it.

im having thanksgiving at my parents with several other family members and my wife.

Thanks!

The reason why Nick Malgieri prefers canned pumpkin is that it is consistent. Pumpkins can change from year to year, some have more liquid, some are more fibrous. He feels it is better to use the plain canned pumpkin without the spice.

I have had good success using the recipe on the back of the Libby canned pumpkin label. In fact, I often substitute pureed persimmons and adjust my spices accordingly for persimmon cheesecake. Someone just gave me about a dozen persimmons today, so I'll be letting them soften to develop their full sugar, and bake a couple of cheesecakes for thanksgiving.

One thing most people will tell you about baking is that they follow the recipe as it's written out, without changes or substitutions. Baking is a science, with ingredients reacting to heat differently, beating times differently, and the addition of ingredients at certain times differently.

A pumpkin cheesecake shouldn't taste overmuch like pumpkin. It should have a subtle pumpkin flavour. If you wanted more, make a pumpkin pie. Using fresh pumpkin is fine, just make sure you've squeezed out all the excess liquid before you proceed. A bit of sugar could be added to the sour cream, but too much could make it watery as it heats.

There are many pumpkin cheesecake recipes on the net. If you don't care for the one you're using, find another before you continue to spend so much money on the ingredients.

One thing most people will tell you about baking is that they follow the recipe as it's written out, without changes or substitutions. Baking is a science, with ingredients reacting to heat differently, beating times differently, and the addition of ingredients at certain times differently.

A pumpkin cheesecake shouldn't taste overmuch like pumpkin. It should have a subtle pumpkin flavour. If you wanted more, make a pumpkin pie. Using fresh pumpkin is fine, just make sure you've squeezed out all the excess liquid before you proceed. A bit of sugar could be added to the sour cream, but too much could make it watery as it heats.

There are many pumpkin cheesecake recipes on the net. If you don't care for the one you're using, find another before you continue to spend so much money on the ingredients.

at least i had everything except the pumkin and the cream cheese. what i want to do next is use more cheese and less spices. I do care for the recipe, i just want to see if theres ways i could improve on it.

Thanks a lot for the replys.

Back
Top Bottom