How to make the best savoury pelmeni from scrach without beef or pork?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My understanding is that pelmeni is specifically a "meat dumpling". If there is no meat I would just call it a dumpling or ravioli. What do you intend to fill it with? Cheese, vegies, fruit?

Sorry, my bad, assumed any meat.

Do you have a favourite chicken or turkey recipe? If you don't start with something savoury in the first place the wrappings aren't going to change it.
Start checking out your pot pie or stew recipes.

My understanding is that pelmeni is specifically a "meat dumpling". If there is no meat I would just call it a dumpling or ravioli. What do you intend to fill it with? Cheese, vegies, fruit?

I had to look up pelmeni, and I found that is is pretty much a small, spiced meat or mushroom version of a pierogi.

I've not made either of those, but if I were to use chicken in a pelmeni, I would use thigh meat. That has more fat, so it will have more flavor and more juiciness.

CD

. . . I've not made either of those, but if I were to use chicken in a pelmeni, I would use thigh meat. That has more fat, so it will have more flavor and more juiciness.

CD
This is the secret to a moist filling. Use dark meat, thighs for example. Also, the tip in the video to use home made stock made from bones will provide internal moisture and a better 'mouth feel' because of the naturally occurring gelatin. Replacing home made stock with purchased chicken broth can work if you include some gelatin as she suggests in the video.

These tips will produce the more moist filling you desire.

Last edited:
This is the secret to a moist filling. Use dark meat, thighs for example. Also, the tip in the video to use home made stock made from bones will provide internal moisture and a better 'mouth feel' because of the naturally occurring gelatin. Replacing home made stock with purchased chicken broth can work if you include some gelatin as she suggests in the video.

These tips will produce the more moist filling you desire.

I'd love to use homemade stock, but storage is an issue. I don't have freezer space for scraps and bones, or for finished stock. Perhaps if I get a garage freezer, I can do that.

I use Better Then Bouillon. It has good flavor. I'll have to try adding some gelatin.

CD

can you explain the procedure with the gelatin and better then boullion? [please include amounts too]..

i'm not sure if she explained it..

She tells you how below in her video...

Alternatively, sprinkle ¾ tsp powdered gelatin over ¾ cup of cold water. Let sit for 5 minutes to hydrate, then heat until gelatin is completely melted and put in the fridge until cold.

Can you not see what she has written below her video? I believe you are to use it in the broth that you add. But you had best just watch the video again and read her instructions down below.

Edit: What do you mean "what about the boullion"?

you can try using a combination of ground chicken and mushrooms for the filling

ok
so i've tried to prepare helen's pelmeni today but with chicken thighs instead of the meatloaf mix....
the filling came out to be very runny even tho i've used a scale to measure the chicken.

i ended up making patties with the filling and froze the dough. can a dough with raw eggs can be frozen?..

next time i'm planning to make this recipe and use a pelmeni mold..
i will also convert the pork for fatty grounded beef..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom