Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   How long does buttermilk last? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/how-long-does-buttermilk-last-5713.html)

GB 12-17-2004 07:16 PM

How long does buttermilk last?

I made Audeo's Best Banana Bread the other day. The recipe called for buttermilk (or yogurt). I made it with buttermilk, but now I have most of it leftover. I would like to make fried chicken with the rest, but here is my dilemma. I have never made fried chicken. I have actually never deep fried anything other than when I have used my fry daddy. I never had a vessel or thermometer that would work for deep frying. Well now I have a LC dutch oven, and I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be a fry thermometer under the tree. I think I opened the buttermilk at the beginning of this week. Do you think it will still be good after the holidays? I am not a milk drinker so I have no idea how long it usually lasts.

DampCharcoal 12-17-2004 07:55 PM

I believe buttermilk lasts about two weeks in the fridge after opening. Maybe a bit longer but better safe than sorry!

Michael in FtW 12-17-2004 11:49 PM

I'm with DC - like most milk figure on a 2-week shelf life. Just look at the expiration date, which is usually a sell-by date, and add 5-7 days.

Since you're going to use the buttermilk to marinade the chicken overnight ... just toss it in the freezer until the day before you're ready to use it. Since it's really the acid in the buttermilk that does the "magic" for fried chicken - I don't see where freezing it for a couple of weeks would make any difference.

Otter 12-18-2004 11:59 AM

GB, I used to have the same problem, but I've started using SACO powdered buttermilk substitute and it tastes the same to me. Now, I just mix up exactly the amount I plan on using. It is usually found in the baking isle. Also, you can make buttermilk by adding 1T lemon juice to regular milk (let stand for five minutes).

mudbug 12-18-2004 12:15 PM

That only works with whole milk, right, Otter?

Audeo 12-18-2004 06:08 PM

Hmmm...I'm with DampCharcoal there, in that I thought cultured buttermilk had a significantly longer shelf life than regular milk, but I'd have to check the carton. I do know that my buttermilk is always still very good a day or two after the expiration date. And spoiled food, of any nature, is something I would never risk!

Otter and bug, thank you for reminding me to get some of that stuff and try it out! I'm going to put that on the shopping list right now before I forget again!

Otter 12-19-2004 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudbug
That only works with whole milk, right, Otter?

Actually, you mix it with water, after combining with the other dry ingredients. I'm a little ingredient sensitive (don't like hydrogenated this and poly that) so was pleased to see that the ingredients were "A cultured blend of sweet cream churned buttermilk, sweet dairy whey and lactic acid." I can live with that.
http://www.sacofoods.com/culteredbuttermilkblend.html

norgeskog 12-19-2004 07:31 PM

Re: How long does buttermilk last?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB
I made Audeo's Best Banana Bread the other day. The recipe called for buttermilk (or yogurt). I made it with buttermilk, but now I have most of it leftover. I would like to make fried chicken with the rest, but here is my dilemma. I have never made fried chicken. I have actually never deep fried anything other than when I have used my fry daddy. I never had a vessel or thermometer that would work for deep frying. Well now I have a LC dutch oven, and I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be a fry thermometer under the tree. I think I opened the buttermilk at the beginning of this week. Do you think it will still be good after the holidays? I am not a milk drinker so I have no idea how long it usually lasts.

There should be a date like with regular milk. Make waffles or pancakes, or ranch dressing, green goddess salad dressing.

GB 12-20-2004 04:15 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone! I pulled it out of the fridge to check the date and dropped it on the floor. It all spilled out :( So I guess that answers my question to if I will be able to use it after Xmas LOL.

norgeskog 12-20-2004 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB
Thanks for the advice everyone! I pulled it out of the fridge to check the date and dropped it on the floor. It all spilled out :( So I guess that answers my question to if I will be able to use it after Xmas LOL.

GB it always amazes me that there are expiration dates on buttermilk, sourcream and bleu cheese, and limburger