How to make homemade tomato sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FoodAddict

Assistant Cook
Hey guys and gals,

Lately I've started to eat healthy, and I've noticed that the canned tomato sauce I've been using(Hunt's) has 360mg of sodium and 2g of sugar per serving(1/4 cup) of an 8oz can. And their "No Salt Added" version has less sodium, but more sugar(3g per serving)!

So I've decided I'm going to prepare and can my own tomato sauce. The problem is, I don't know how to go about doing it. What are the procedures? I looked up recipes, and they add things like carrots, onions, garlic, etc. Those are things I don't want in my sauce.

Basically, I want to take fresh tomato's and make them into tomato sauce. Nothing more, nothing less and no other ingredients then the tomato's. Except for a little bit of citrus to help stop it from going bad.

Could anyone direct me on the procedures on how to get this done? I've never canned anything fresh in my life so I'm quite clueless, heh.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

FoodAddict, if you are going to be canning it then you need to follow a tried and true recipe EXACTLY in order to maintain the correct acid balance to prevent nasty things growing in your sauce.

If you just want to freeze it, then all you need to do is cut your tomatoes in quarters, cut up some onion and garlic and toss them with some olive oil and salt. Put all of that on a cookie sheet in your oven for an hour or so on low heat. When everything is kind of mushy, pick off the tomato skins, toss it in a blender and buzz it. Then put it in a pot and let it reduce. You can adjust the flavors as you wish.

Likely in the recipe you mention the carrots are in there for sweetness. You might otherwise want to consider adding some sugar.

One important detail. To make sauce you will need well ripened tomatoes, otherwise chances are you are not goingto get good result. It is not as simple as it seems.

If you want your sauce a little sweeter, buy abd use some roma's. Cut them in half and scoop out the seeds unless you don't mind them. Place them face up on a sided baking sheeted large cookie sheet. slat and pepper them need drizzle with evoo. roast til the start to break don they will become soft, seet and leave of juice. Put in a food mill or blender wizz in blender and are wonderful.I blend them with dry reconstituted mushrooms chopped fine,, sauteed diced onion and crushed garlic, herbs of choice,browned and meat, I then take out the meat and put in a F/p after everything has simmered together for about 6 hrs.Grind well and re add to the sauce.
kadesma

FoodAdict, what you are asking for isn't sauce. What you are describing is tomato juice or tomato puree - little else beside skinless, seedless tomatoes. The onion, garlic, carrot, sugar, salt, etc. is what is needed in order to make a sauce. A sauce is not JUST tomatoes. And as others have mentioned, there needs to be a balance in order to successfully can your sauce in order for it to be safely stored. Tomatoes, by themselves, if improperly canned, can be a source of botulism!

Even if you don't want to store your sauce, but simply make enough to use on a one-time basis, as Alix mentioned, use a tried-and-true (TNT) recipe and simply adjust the quantities for your situation.

As someone often says, "Your patience and effort will be rewarded!" :chef:

A sauce is not JUST tomatoes.

Not quite true. Real Marinara is just tomatoes and basil and a bit of salt.

When I can get fresh Roma tomatoes in the greenmarket (late summer) I buy a bunch, cut them in halves and toss them in a pot with some basil and garlic. When it's cooked a long time, I run it through a food mill (on fine) to be sure to get all the seeds -- as well as the skin and all the other "stuff" out of the sauce. Then I cool it and freeze it in one or two-cup portions and freeze it. Then I use that as the "tomato" for any number of other sauces all year long. :)

I believe the OP wants to can fresh tomatoes for later use, not make a pasta sauce.

That being the case, freezing is the easiest option if you have the space. If not, you have to invest in canning equipment and jars and go that route.

So I've decided I'm going to prepare and can my own tomato sauce. The problem is, I don't know how to go about doing it. What are the procedures? I looked up recipes, and they add things like carrots, onions, garlic, etc. Those are things I don't want in my sauce.

Basically, I want to take fresh tomato's and make them into tomato sauce. Nothing more, nothing less and no other ingredients then the tomato's. Except for a little bit of citrus to help stop it from going bad.

Andy, he wants to can tomato sauce.

...Basically, I want to take fresh tomato's and make them into tomato sauce. Nothing more, nothing less and no other ingredients then the tomato's. Except for a little bit of citrus to help stop it from going bad...

That's not what I got from this sentence. Bolding is mine.

The problem is that a can of tomatoes all mushed up is called tomato sauce and a pot of the stuff you put on pasta is called tomato sauce.

Unless you live somewhere where tomatoes can be grown year-round, fresh tomatoes are very bland and tasteless this time of year. Unless the tomatoes come from my garden or a farmers market, I always use top quality canned tomatoes for sauce. They are much more flavorful.

Also, your sauce will be very bland if you use only tomatoes and nothing else. Consider salt at the least. Even a little bit will improve the sauce a lot.

I'd also suggest freezing rather than canning. Canning can be tricky, plus it's time consuming and expensive compared to freezing.

Chef June has given you a good method to use.

Tomatoes,(preferably roma) 1 clove garlic minced, 1 small onion minced, basil leaves torn, S&P... That's it, if you want i'll send particulars, too tired now... Have fun.. ;););)

Ingredients
Cooked carrots
Chopped tomatoes
A splash of lemon
Honey or sugar adds a nice touch to it, but not necessary
Salt
Chopped and fried Garlic
Chopped and fried onions
A few spoonfuls of wine

Chop tomatoes and cook in wine
Add carrots,Lemon, Honey, Salt, Dried herbs
Heat and then puree

Serve with pasta, fresh herbs and a sprinkling of cheese and olive oil. Freshly ground black pepper is also good to put on it too.

This is going to sound crazy, but I found a great tomato sauce recipe a few weeks ago online somewhere - I forget where off the top of my head, but boy did it turn out great. The only ingredients were 1x 28oz can of tomatos (I usually get the $5 a can Italian ones), 5T of butter, and a half a onion.

Put the tomatoes in a pot with the butter and the half of an onion. Simmer for 45min - 1hr or so (crushing the tomatoes periodically). When the time is up, fish out the half of the onion, and throw it away. Add a pinch of salt if you like, and it turns out great.

Luckilly, I don't have any Italian family, because they would probably disown me for cooking tomato sauce like that, but hey - it tastes great, is simple, and is quick enough to do after work on a weeknight.

I don't, however, have any experience in canning it, so I can't say if it would be suitable for that purpose.

Back
Top Bottom