Jelloware Edible Glassware!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollyanne

Flour Child
Jelloware...Do you think Jelloware won the Jello Competition or do you think the 2 Bullheads won? (answer below)

"On June 26th, the Gowanus Studio Space hosted the 2nd annual Jell-O Mold competition in Brooklyn, New York...to use gelatin in new and unexpected ways. A company called The Way We See The World won for sculptural/structural integrity with Jelloware – a set of delicious, squishy, colorful glasses.
Jelloware re-imagines the concept of drinking, and imparts a new experience in the way it feels, tastes, smells, moves, and is even disposed of. The cups are made entirely out of agar agar and cast in different flavors, such as lemon-basil, ginger-mint, or rosemary-beet...Jelloware is meant to be thrown into the grass after it is used, as agar agar is a seaweed extract and actually nurtures the growth of plants"
Jelloware by The Way We See The World » Yanko Design

Anyone have a recipe for this or is it strictly a science lab thing?

Answer: The winner of the competition was the Cow/Bullheads (didn't your mother ever tell you that life isn't fair?). Jelloware was a runner-up and winner of the structural division.

Attachments

• Jelloware.jpg
    Jelloware.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Jelloware2.jpg
    Jelloware2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Jelloware3.jpg
    Jelloware3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 167
  • Jelloware4.jpg
    Jelloware4.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Jelloware5.jpg
    Jelloware5.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 200
I have used Agar Agar from the asian store to grow yeast on when I was brewing lots of beer.

I also believe that Agar Agar is used in crispy kreme doughnuts for the glaze. In fact I am almost certain but I do not know what the exact recipe is.

Agar Agar is great because it holds its shape at moderate temperatures.

Thank you, dumpandstir. I didn't know much about agar so you triggered my interest and I did a little research on it. I found that agar, once ingested, triples in size and absorbs water causing the consumer to feel more full and is 80% fiber...a great diet aid! So bring on those doughnuts! Shhh...don't tell Krispy Kreme because they aren't going to want people to "feel more full" or they won't sell as many doughnuts!

Agar-agar is approximately 80% fiber, so it can serve as an intestinal regulator. Its bulk quality is behind one of the latest fad diets in Asia, the kanten diet. Once ingested, kanten triples in size and absorbs water. This results in the consumer feeling more full. Recently this diet has received some press coverage in the United States as well. The diet has shown promise in obesity studies. ~ wikipedia ~

Last edited:
Thank you, dumpandstir. I didn't know much about agar so you triggered my interest and I did a little research on it. I found that agar, once ingested, triples in size and absorbs water causing the consumer to feel more full and is 80% fiber...a great diet aid! So bring on those doughnuts! Shhh...don't tell Krispy Kreme because they aren't going to want people to "feel more full" or they won't sell as many doughnuts!

Agar-agar is approximately 80% fiber, so it can serve as an intestinal regulator. Its bulk quality is behind one of the latest fad diets in Asia, the kanten diet. Once ingested, kanten triples in size and absorbs water. This results in the consumer feeling more full. Recently this diet has received some press coverage in the United States as well. The diet has shown promise in obesity studies. ~ wikipedia ~

Very interesting MA.......thanks.

Hey, did you notice that the model in the pictures needs a wax job for her mustache ???:ninja::w00t2::brows:

:ROFLMAO: haha, kayelle, i missed that.

I think we're onto something here...a magic bullet for weightloss!

Agar-Agar is called Kanten in asian countries and has been around for literally hundreds of years. UK just had a special on TV (and an article in a British Medical Journal) that was aired in Japan and now the Kanten Diet is all the rage there. They add it to their rice for instance and soup stocks. It's non-caloric, makes you feel full by tripling in size after ingested, 85% fiber regulates you, helps eliminate cholesterol, and is good for diabetics because "A report by the American Diabetic Association also notes that fiber can affect blood sugar levels by delaying glucose absorption, thereby reducing the body's insulin requirements".

Warning: I also read that people who have trouble swallowing should not use kanten aka agar-agar because it triples in size and could block your esophagus and therefore be fatal. Thats the only negative I could find but that's a significant one for sure.

Last edited:
oops...in my last paragraph above, in the warning, I should have said, "people who have trouble swallowing should not use agar-agar without adequate amounts of water or it might block their espophogus due to expansion after ingestion"

oops...in my last paragraph above, in the warning, I should have said, "people who have trouble swallowing should not use agar-agar without adequate amounts of water or it might block their espophogus due to expansion after ingestion"

umm, MA.....how do I say this delicately? Psssst ..... The esophagus isn't the only tube I'd worry about blocking.

umm, MA.....how do I say this delicately? Psssst ..... The esophagus isn't the only tube I'd worry about blocking.

MA since there appears to be an adequate amount of liquid in those cups this shouldn't be a problem, eat, drink... :LOL: Also Molls I think the hardest part about making these cups would be finding a mold to form them... Agar is the king of geletins, so you would just have to find a flavor you like... Hmmm maybe a large plastic cup with a smaller one inserted......

Yes K her mustache forced me to go look in the "big mirror" Whew i'm of the hook this week... I'm not really sure we have to worry about any other blockage as agar has mild laxative properties... This is good stuff to know... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom