Deep frying question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afanfalone

Assistant Cook
I used to work at a restaurant where they filtered and stored their oil everynight. They had 3 different frying containers, each one for different types of foods and each day they would rotate the stored oils from container to container, adding fresh oil to one of them and dispossing the oldest. My questions would be:
1. if anyone knows the rationale behind this procedure?
2. What types of food would be best to fry in newer oil and which in older oil?
3. What oil would be best for deep-frying?

Thanks a lot!

I used to work at a restaurant where they filtered and stored their oil everynight. They had 3 different frying containers, each one for different types of foods and each day they would rotate the stored oils from container to container, adding fresh oil to one of them and dispossing the oldest. My questions would be:
1. if anyone knows the rationale behind this procedure?
2. What types of food would be best to fry in newer oil and which in older oil?
3. What oil would be best for deep-frying?

Thanks a lot!

First of all, what foods were they frying? I have participated in this ritual, but theytype of food is important to know and each restaurant has different menus. I worked in a fish place.

Oils deterioriate with heating and with the frying of certain foods. Oils used at a lower heat or for frying lower protein foods will last longer. Oils used at higher heats or with higher protein foods will deteriorate faster.

Also, oils deterioriate when reused. Withe each reheating, the smoke point of the oil drops and foods will brown prematurely before they are cooked through.

Neutral flavored stable oils with high smoke points are best. Peanut oil is the standard for home use.

Hah!

I was thinking more along the lines of potatoes>>>chicken>>>fish for a sequence in reusing oils.

Oil used for hushpuppies, never get reused for anything else!

The oil rotation is to keep the flavor from affecting the finished product.

Lard is best for frying.I remember cleaning and rotating the fryers everynight.It was the most dangerous job in the restaurant and I did it at 17yrs old.I was the only one strong enough to pick up the hot vats of oil.

I use canola at home for frying now.

The oil rotation is to keep the flavor from affecting the finished product.

Lard is best for frying.I remember cleaning and rotating the fryers everynight.It was the most dangerous job in the restaurant and I did it at 17yrs old.I was the only one strong enough to pick up the hot vats of oil.

I use canola at home for frying now.

Strange how that job is left to teenagers...:ermm:

Blanching would be done in new oil at a lower temp. Anything with meat or things like onion rings really can kill oil, so these things would be fried in teh older oil. Delicate things like lightly breaded foods would be fried in newer oil because of what Andy said. You wouldn't want them to brown too fast. Like Princess F said, it would depend on what foods you are dealing with. Three fryers is a luxury for some restaurants so most of the time everything gets bunged in together.

Back
Top Bottom