Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   TV commercials - Good, Bad and Unspeakable. (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/tv-commercials-good-bad-and-unspeakable-75212.html)

Claire 10-08-2011 12:18 AM

TV commercials - Good, Bad and Unspeakable.

OK, we all hate to hate television commercials.

But don't you have a few you secretly think are cute and clever, and some you just wish you could get to them mute button on your remote fast enough?

Claire 10-08-2011 12:25 AM

For me, the hate and hate are anything that blasts me out of my seat when I'm trying to read a book. Hubby watches TV, then takes a break during a commercial. I'm sitting there, reading a book, and am suddenly blasted out.

The worst of these are car commercials. The volumes just blast me and almost knock me over. No, they'll never get my business because I finally got my own remote and hit "mute".

On the other hand, I kinda like a lot of the GEICO commercials, and admire whatever the ad agency is for trying a lot of different tries.

pacanis 10-08-2011 05:43 AM

I think the commercial being louder than the show is a product of the station you are watching, not the commercial itself.

Katie H 10-08-2011 09:41 AM

Actually, many, I can't say all, commercials are designed to be louder than programming. It's a method to get viewers' attention. Doesn't work on me as I've always practiced effective mute button control during commercials.

If advertisers relied on commercials to get me to purchase their goods or services, they'd all be broke. I've never been one to pay attention to written ads, particularly in magazines, and definitely do not pay heed to TV or radio commercials.

As for cute commercials, nothing comes to mind right now. So many of what I see on the tube are an insult to our intelligence and it's truly amazing how complex and sophisticated many of the current ads are. It's no wonder advertising is so expensive.

Andy M. 10-08-2011 09:50 AM

There are things I hate about commercials more than just specific commercials.

The voice on truck commercials has to be gruff sounding and tough guy- like.

Any product that uses completely unrelated graphics to sell their product. e.g. there is a transformer type robot in a futuristic battle to the death with an attractive woman (in a skin tight outfit). Laser bolts and explosions all over the place. The product - wireless telephone service.

Any commercial that trashes the competition to make themselves look better.

Car ads that pick and choose features to compare to other makes. "better mileage than a BMW, more rear seat leg room than a Lexus, More horsepower than an Acura." It suggests they're better than all those brands but in reality they may or may not be.

Andy M. 10-08-2011 09:51 AM

My favorite commercial of all time is the original Beggin Strips ad. Can't get enough of it.

Now I really like the Darth Vader/VW ad.

Katie H 10-08-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 1056682)
My favorite commercial of all time is the original Beggin Strips ad. Can't get enough of it.

Now I really like the Darth Vader/VW ad.

Oh, Andy, you must be my twin. I love, love, love that Beggin's Strips ad. That goofy dog just cracks me up!! I can hear the ad now. I'm a sucker for animals.

PrincessFiona60 10-08-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 1056681)
The voice on truck commercials has to be gruff sounding and tough guy- like.

Oh that voice belongs to Sam Elliot...he could sell me a truck or a side of beef...

pacanis 10-08-2011 10:15 AM

... or a Coors beer ;^)

Dawgluver 10-08-2011 10:29 AM

The honey badger with the cobra in his mouth, cracking pistashios! I want a honey badger.

I liked the one with the dog worried about his bone (Trouble, Worry Worry Worry) until it got overplayed.