Cats, old, adoption

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
2 yrs. ago, I inhereted my mother's Old Cat..

I miss him quite a bit..

he was fun because.. he was sooo old and slow, he couldn't climb the fence and didn't Play too much, but he would come and sleep with me a Snore Up a Storm..

Can I Adopt an Old Cat like that?

I guess I should go ask the SPCA up the street, but I thought I should ask here first..

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Oh my, Eric. An old cat would love that! Please check out your humane society. Most people want kittens, but older cats and dogs are fantastic pets. Sorry about your loss....

AWWWWW! Please go to the shelter and adopt an old kitty. They are often overlooked in favor of cute kittens. Often the shelter will have the background on why the cat is there.

We have two rescue-cats. One is old now. She snores and sleeps on anything warm. She waddles and falls over rather than curls up. Sometimes, she will go over to something and give it a swat, then sleep off the effort for hours. It will devastate us when we lose her.

The other is simply pure meanness. BUT no animal is sweeter when she is hungry. :LOL: We adore her too. :)

The second one was a day from perishing. The shelter did not even bother to put her picture on the page as she was too "fussy" to be considered adoptable. They had her in a room that few went with other problematic kitties. :(

Last edited:
the only down side to adopting an older cat is that you don't get to have them as long as you would when adopting a kitten.

we've adoted 4 senior cats over the years, and they were all great pets, or should i say members of the family.

the only down side to adopting an older cat is that you don't get to have them as long as you would when adopting a kitten.

we've adoted 4 senior cats over the years, and they were all great pets, or should i say members of the family.

*points to the large, fuzzy lump laying on her power supply* But...but....LOOK HOW CUTE SHE IS! She tries to get her entire mass (which is pretty amoebic at this point) on the power supply. What kitten would have the patience for that? ;)

I've always had "second hand" dogs. Cats live a long time, and senior cats have gotten over the scratching/chewing/etc. They're just happy to have a warm spot, like your lap, to curl up!

Have your second-hand dogs had trouble acclimating to a new place/owner? I do enjoy the fact that dogs are always happy to see you. :)

Kathleen said:
Have your second-hand dogs had trouble acclimating to a new place/owner? I do enjoy the fact that dogs are always happy to see you. :)

Never, Kathleen. The current beagle curled up in the back seat of my car on the way to her forever home, and after being home, immediately knew how to "ask" to go out! All my pups have been very appreciative.

Last edited:
You can Google Austin TX Cat Rescue Groups and see what they have available if you can't find a cat you like in a shelter, but please check the shelters, especially the Kill shelters, first. Rescue groups will keep a cat of any age until they either get adopted or expire. I know because I live with two unadoptable cats, Tyrone Shoelaces and Mr. Spock, that I have had since they were kittens. So if you adopt from a shelter, you could save a life. You might also consider becoming a foster home for rescue group kittens and cats. Since I started fostering in 2002, I have had over 500 cats and kittens go through my house!

Last edited:
Our cats have all been adults. The last kitten I remember was when I was 10 and he was quite a handful! I'm with BT on this one, the only downside is not having them for as long.

Man, you guys have gotten my kitty lust up in a roar again. This talk about older cats makes me think I can pull it off. There's a $300 extra deposit for a pet, but they'll work with you, and an older cat wouldn't trash my plants.

My first cat was 2 years old when he came to live with me. He had never been outside his First Dad’s apartment,not even in the hallway, I kept him Indoors for the Summer and Jiggled a teaspoon in an empty water glass whenever I wanted to Give him a Treat. Best done if waking him from a nap. He Liked Treats. Finally I let him out. He chewed grass, went sniffing around. Whatever. We went outside playing together. He came back to the Treat Sound. I got braver,or less controlling, however a dad with like a teenager is supposed to do. Extended Curfew, I guess. One day he did not respond. There I am After Dark with a Flashlight, crawling around underneath the neighbor’s tall pine trees two houses over with a flashlight and whispering Spsst, c’mer you little rascal, it’s bed time. For one of us. I since learned, don’t let the kids out in the evening if you have already fed them supper. And Finally, I have learned, even if you do, they will come home, even at 3 am and let you know they are back by scratching or meowing at the front or back door. Unlike real teenagers, they want to sit up late and purr and tell you all about their adventure. It’s hard to be a parent.

My present cat, currently an only child, was adopted at approx Age 5. I am at least her 3rd Parent. The person who tearfully brought her to live with me had her for 3 years until one of her family developed allergies. She got her from the humane society at about age 2. She was either strayed or abandoned. Her very long hair color patches are mis matched and do not repeat in any pattern and she is a big bone gal, well over 20 pounds but is not fat. She is so incredibly intelligent and lovable if you give her the slightest attention. Which to her means, all you have to do is look at her and say Hi. Then she is your friend. She goes Nose to Nose with my DxW dog, cocker spaniel size, and they are best friends. She is not a “lap sitter”. Rather, she likes to sit beside you, like there is room on the chair, or on top of you, whichever she finds most comfortable. I kept her Name which she loves to hear you say over and over. Mademoiselle M… . I can’t spell her name and it is entirely too femme for my tastes. I tacked on Ada as a middle name (which she does not acknowledge), because She resembles a favorite great aunt; that is , her Long Hair is always askew and develops dredd locks if not brushed. I should have Re-Named her Crumbs-Chief-Been-In-The-Brambles-Again or Silent Bob ( she talks without emitting sound) or Bob Marley, because she develops dredd-locks if not brushed regularly. Any of these would have been easier for me.

Now at age 11 Missy M has lived with me 6 years. I am her longest surviving Parent. We wouldn’t have it any other way.

Well, I would. I am about to set her on about a 2 week collision course of gnarly behavior. Family Adjustments take some time to get used to.

Her older “sister” died this fall of old age, although she was only 18. One of us is adjusting well to being the Queen Bee in the house, and one of us wants to renew some of the antics and laughter and energy that siblings display. “We” are going to have a new sister sometime after the holidays!

I am going to go the route of looking to the Humane Society, Rescue organizations and my grocer’s neighborhood bulletin board. It sounds silly, but I don’t even know how to look for a new family member. This may be different from what you are looking for. All I know is, this time, we’re having a baby !!

Attachments

• Meow.jpg
    Meow.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 140
Our cats have all been adults. The last kitten I remember was when I was 10 and he was quite a handful! I'm with BT on this one, the only downside is not having them for as long.

I know what you mean! My Lucy has tested my nerves more than a few times. She's also done a number on a few of my throw rugs. She was a rescue
kitty. Someone just left her outside and took off. I would assume in a cage. I don't know the details, but a woman not far from here took her in and nursed her back to health.

Getting back to the older cat topic... I have never adopted an older cat, but my mother has. She had Thumper for quite a few years.

The last cat and dog I had when I was in NY state came from The Humane Society. I saw a lot of older cats (and dogs) waiting to be adopted. It broke my heart that I couldn't take all of them with me. The fact that you want to adopt an older cat is so sweet.

on a side note... I remember when I lived in NY, my ex-BF and I stopped in the Erie, PA Humane Society on the way home from the zoo. There was an older Australian Shepherd there named Sydney. I wanted to adopt him so bad, but I wasn't allowed dogs in my old apartment. You were just speaking of cats, but there are a lot of older pets that want homes!

Please, please, please adopt a sr! I am hoping that I will be the one to adopt a sr. 10-yr. old Rhodesian Ridgy girl...waiting to hear. As one of the vets once told me when I asked him how old he thought the sr. LabX I brought in for his vet care (our rescue group pulled him off the euth list at the shelter), "it doesn't matter how old or young they are, they all die at different ages."

Last edited:
I've had only two cats. The first lived 19 years and died of old age just a few months ago. My remaining cat is 14 and named Dinky. His full name is Dinky Doo, but he only hears that when he's being held and cuddled. Dinky was an Animal Shelter kitten when I got him at about 6 weeks of age. As a Persian, he was all fur and hisses.

When I got him home, he went inside the Florida Room couch and stayed there until everyone was in bed each night. Then he would come out, eat, use the litter box and drink water. He didn't come out while humans were present for 3 months.

Now he's like a velcro'd cat sweater. Wherever I am in the house, he's right there with me. When I'm on the PC, he lays next to me so that his nose is almost touching my hand on the mouse.

My handyman is Dinky's best friend. When he comes over, Dinky runs to him like a little kid to GrandPa and gets lots of scritchy scraches as a result.

My outside cat is named Rocket. He just showed up one day, hair all matted and ribs sticking out. He's all muscle now and seldom leaves my property. When I take him his food in the morning, he talks to me. I say something and he answers back with a big Meow. He'll do it for as long as I want to talk.

I named him Rocket because he's faster than any cat I've ever seen. Man, he can cover 100 feet in the blink of an eye! Zoom!

i never knew that they have florida rooms in florida.

i need a new jersey room. you know, where the oil tank goes, and for storing gallons of hairspray, spray tan oil and such...

If you come down to San Antonio we have The Animal Defense League of Texas, a no-kill shelter that has plenty of adoptable kitties of all ages. As far as older cats go, they have two big rooms, one for "adolescent" and the other for "senior" cats. I'd guess they have at least 15-20 in each room, and the kitten room is just pure insanity, like 30+ kittens running around free. I got my kittens there about a year ago. I really support adopting from no-kill shelters. They charge about $30/kitty. However, if I'm not mistaken, they waive the fees for senior cats. Might want to give them a call.
http://www.adltexas.org/

Last edited:
i never knew that they have florida rooms in florida.

i need a new jersey room. you know, where the oil tank goes, and for storing gallons of hairspray, spray tan oil and such...

Ha! yer killin me! My florida room is floor to ceiling windows with a bar at one end, a couch and a glass table.

It faces my front yard with it's 800 year old Oak tree in the middle that covers a full quarter acre of my property.

Florida rooms are nothing more than what is also known as a "Sun Room". Traditionally, lots of windows and sunlight. In the heat of the summer, it's not feasible to cool the room, so I hardly ever use it until evening time when the A/C unit doesn't have to work as hard to cool it.

My bar is 9 feet long and is the central talking place that everyone migrates to. Of course, drinks help too.

A guy who told me he worked for the University of Florida came to my house and did a bunch of measurements on that tree. He told me that it was split by lightening when it was only about 20 years old and that his estimate of it's age was 800 years or so. It has a trunk that is about 12 feet wide. When I bought the home, that tree was a major selling point. Its one of four huge trees in my yard and is one of about 120 of them.

I love my home. It's like having my own personal National Park.

I became officially involved with dog rescue in 1996. Many of the dogs we helped find new homes were seniors. I have had a number of sr. dogs myself--originally adopted as adults or as srs. People think that it is harder to fall in love with an adult or senior animal. I took one look at the Ridgy gal's pics, and my heart skipped a beat. I would love for her to live out her life with us. I can visualize her riding shotgun on road trips...seatbelt on. I adopted a Saint who was 4 in 1999. She died four years later. She was my soulmate. I miss her still. She died too young at 8. An adopter bought a puppy--on the way home from his 12 wk. vet appointment, they were in a car accident. The puppy died. She'd only had him for 4 weeks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom