Tapas: Fried Calamari Rings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
A favorite in Spain as well as Greece and Italy, here is a traditional Mediterranean preparation for fried Calamari.

1 pound fresh squid
1 tsp paprika sweet
a pinch of paprika or cayenne flakes piquant
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp blk pepper grounded
1 cup = 4 ounces of Chickpea flour or All Purpose Flour
2 eggs beaten
3 cups olive oil extra virgin
lemons quartered or halved

1) have squid cut into narrow rings and dry on absorbent paper towels after washing
2) place paprikas, cayenne, salt, pepper and flour in a firm heavy paper bag
3) add squid and flour lightly and evenly
4) then, one by one, dip into the beaten eggs and flour a second time
5) fry the squid in hot oil for 25 seconds
6) strain and drain on paper towels

Serve with ali oli mayonnaise or romesco sauce
and lemon.
Margaux Cintrano

Margi, one of my favorites, I make mine the very same way. Also use to go to Little Italy in Manhatten all the time for the fresh seafood and pasta, I now live in Montana, but I visited NJ & NY last March and Little Italy was my first stop! Wow , things have changed there , seems to get smaller and smaller. Its just not the same,sorry to say.

This sounds good, but why not include the tenticles? The best part!:yum: BTW, what kind of oil and at what temp?

Margi, one of my favorites, I make mine the very same way. Also use to go to Little Italy in Manhatten all the time for the fresh seafood and pasta, I now live in Montana, but I visited NJ & NY last March and Little Italy was my first stop! Wow , things have changed there , seems to get smaller and smaller. Its just not the same,sorry to say.

What? No little Italy in Manhattan, MT? :LOL:

Calamari in Spain, Italia and Greece

In the Mediterranean, we fry all with a standard olive oil from Brands Carbonell or La Española available in The USA ... Not extra virgin.

Get the oil very hot, u shall see a slight spark ( chip sa ) ... then toss them in frying pan ...

Yes, Historic Foodie is correct, do NOT overfry or the calamari shall be rubbery -- yuk-o ... Tender sweet squid, 20 seconds to 30 seconds at most in frying stage.

Peanut Oil does not exist in Mediterranean !

We only use Olive Oil in the Mediterranean.

The Chinese, only Saint James, know what they use here ... however, peanut oil is a rarity here.
Chinese cuisine in Madrid, is not highly recommended. It is alot better in Barcelona.

There are uncountable olive oils of varying olive varieties and grades. We normally use a standard olive oil verses Extra Virgin for frying squid, in Italy, Greece and Spain as well as Turkey and France -- we are olive producing ---

Last edited:
I'm in neither of those places, Craig. Just reporting what I do.

Sorry, thought you were replying to my question to the OP. I can see that a notable taste difference would occur from the choice in oil used.

Craig

Rape in Spanish is Monkfish / Angler fish in English

@ Tat Rat,

In referring to Spanish oil, I believe it might have been you --- that stated There is an oil called Rape.

RAPE in Spanish translates to Monkfish or anglerfish in English.

Spain is an olive oil producer and though there are other oils used in the canning for export industry, the foreigners who are accustomed to other product availability or for export --- however, predominately we only use olive oil and there are uncountable types for each need, salads, fruits, dressings, sauté, deep fry, roasts and thousands of olive varieties as well.
Greece, Turkey, Italia and France are also large olive oil producers.

@ Tat Rat,

In referring to Spanish oil, I believe it might have been you --- that stated There is an oil called Rape.

RAPE in Spanish translates to Monkfish or anglerfish in English.

Spain is an olive oil producer and though there are other oils used in the canning for export industry, the foreigners who are accustomed to other product availability or for export --- however, predominately we only use olive oil and there are uncountable types for each need, salads, fruits, dressings, sauté, deep fry, roasts and thousands of olive varieties as well.
Greece, Turkey, Italia and France are also large olive oil producers.

Rapeseed/canola.

I'm sure that's true to a certain degree, Craig. But I wonder how significant it would be in this case, considering the high temperature of the oil, and the short amount of time the squid is in it.

You can wonder, I'm going with the olive oil!;)

i'm not doubting you margi, but i would think many mediterranean people would use grapeseed oil for frying, so as not impart any flavour to the delicate squid. good quality regular olive oil often has a strong flavour.

I think if you grow up using different shades of olive oil you don't notice the strong flavor. Dad always used olive oil, it wasn't until I moved out on my own and began using vegetable oil (it was cheaper) that I even noticed my baked goods had an olive oil flavor.

Back
Top Bottom