Cooking French Onion Soup Kosher Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wpix123

Assistant Cook
Hi All,
I am cooking french onion soup for my wife for v-day and since we are kosher we do not mix milk and meat. I am wondering, I am using this recipe
Famous Barr's French Onion Soup Recipe - Low-cholesterol.Food.com - 607

but cutting all the ingredients/time in half.

For the broth part I have to use (as per my measurements) 3.5 cans of beef broth, since i will be using these
AllFreshKosher.com: Beef Flavor Stock Cubes - 1.5 oz - Telma

What is the proportion of cube to water if i dont want it salty etc.
1 cube to 2 cups?

Thanks,
David

no no no i will be using butter and gruyere cheese but no beef broth(instead LOL!

I see. The Telma beef cubes actually contain no beef or beef products.

Good luck with this.

I see. The Telma beef cubes actually contain no beef or beef products.

Good luck with this.

I see .... what do they contain that simulates beef flavor??

And yes. Follow the directions and then TASTE it before youuse it. If too salty, dilute with water. If not beefy enough use more of the seasoning

Why bother to try and simulate beef flavor? Why not just make a vegetarian onion soup with a veggie broth? It won't be the same, but it will be fresh whole food instead of simulated flavor......and for that reason, it may even be better.
You know, I just gave myself an idea....I think I will try this sometime....

Hi All,
I am cooking french onion soup for my wife for v-day and since we are kosher we do not mix milk and meat. I am wondering, I am using this recipe
Famous Barr's French Onion Soup Recipe - Low-cholesterol.Food.com - 607

but cutting all the ingredients/time in half.

You can cut the ingredients in half but the time remains the same as the original recipe.

Although I don't cook FO soup this way, an important element of FO soup is the very long cooking time for the onions. The long cooking time is an essential part of the mellowing of the onions.

(I start out with lots of sliced onions and saute them for a very long time, as my initial step. But that's a different recipe.)

And I've noticed I made a mistake. I read the recipe too quickly and saw the 10 minutes and missed the 1-1/2 hours of saute. Yeah, that's how I do it to. So never mind about my comment that I do it differently. My method is more or less similar to the method in the recipe linked in the OP.

Onions are sooooo good when they're sauteed such a long time and caramelized this way! :yum: In fact I don't know that there is any other way to start out FO soup.

Well, you might be able to cut ingredients in half but not time. Just use the beef powder soup to taste, bring water to boil add soup powder and taste. If you sautte onion in butter before cooking it will give a lot of flavor. I too keep kosher and That's what I do.

if you cram a slow cooker with mandolin sliced onions, cook them for about 12 hrs the onion turns into into goop with a very concentrated flavor. To make soup the flavor is better with beef stock but its ok without which means you can use cheese.

Onion Soup: Which cheese varieties do you prefer ?

@ Bolas,

Which cheeses do you prefer for onion soup ?

" The Vet " and I are in Porto, Portugal ... phenomenal small city ...
Have nice wkend.
MC.

Cheese

Well Kosher I can only use Swiss since i can't really find gruyere kosher.

UPDATE: I made it last week for Valentine's day for my wife and she loved it! I ate it once at a place called Lefty's in upstate ny(before i knew there was beef broth in it) and the taste was 1:1 the same. I cooked the 2.5 lbs onions for a hour and 15 min. then added 3 cubes of the beef cubes to 6 cups of water, boiled it. to the onions i added paprika bay leaf and black pepper. I added the liquid , reserved some mixed with wondra, added that then let it sit half covered over low fire for 45 mins(as was 920 already).

In the end i added the italian bread/some swiss , oven to broil and it came out Great! i can post some pictures as well if i can figure out how to.

The only change i would do is cut the onions after thin mandolining in 1/2 so that they werent so big in the soup?

Question: I was correct to leave the pot 1/2 covered right, so the soup didnt evaporate, it has nothing to do with the onions dispersing or not.

Dave

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom