Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Hey Good Lookin', Whatcha Got Cookin'? Monday Feb 27 (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/hey-good-lookin-whatcha-got-cookin-monday-feb-27-a-78167.html)

LPBeier 02-27-2012 12:45 PM

Hey Good Lookin', Whatcha Got Cookin'? Monday Feb 27

Today is vegetarian day.

I am about to put on a pot of broccoli soup for lunch and we are having black bean, corn and quinoa dish for dinner. The corn is from a leftover cob I cooked last night with the baby back ribs.

What have you got cookin'

FrankZ 02-27-2012 12:48 PM

I am making spaghetti and meat sauce.

taxlady 02-27-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPBeier (Post 1112800)
Today is vegetarian day.

I am about to put on a pot of broccoli soup for lunch and we are having black bean, corn and quinoa dish for dinner. The corn is from a leftover cob I cooked last night with the baby back ribs.

What have you got cookin'

I have always been leery of broccoli soup. I don't much like overcooked broccoli. Do you have a way to keep it from getting overcooked?

Andy M. 02-27-2012 12:56 PM

I grilled some Italian sausages yesterday and will incorporate them into a dish with onion and garlic, tomato and okra.

LPBeier 02-27-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 1112806)
I have always been leery of broccoli soup. I don't much like overcooked broccoli. Do you have a way to keep it from getting overcooked?

I always start my broccoli off in stock - usually chicken, but today is vegetable - and just enough to cover the bottom about 2" so it steams more than boils. I also keep it in large crowns with small amounts of stem attached. I cook it until tender crisp and then remove one medium crown per serving and set aside. I add cream and/or milk and cook until heated through. Then I use an emersion or regular blender to puree it but not until totally smooth. I want small pieces of broccoli in it. I serve with the saved broccoli crowns on top, cut into bite sized pieces.

This is just the way I have come to make it. I don't like my broccoli too soft either as it seems to change the taste. Even though I puree it, it seems to make a difference steaming it in the stock first. Also, it gives more flavour than water and doesn't contain so much milk.

taxlady 02-27-2012 01:17 PM

Thanks LPB, I'll have to give that a try. I have three broccoli heads in the fridge that need to have something done with them soon. I was planning beef with broccoli for some of it and then I got ill. I'm just not up for finding the right piece of beef to defrost, cutting it into strips and then velveting it.

LPBeier 02-27-2012 01:27 PM

I hope you are starting to feel better soon TL. This bout is pretty bad. I have to stay healthy as we can't take any bugs up to Dad. I have been downing the echanacea and Vitamin C like crazy! But I know that doesn't help with the lurgy.

Hope you enjoy your soup. :smile:

Alix 02-27-2012 01:34 PM

I think tonight will be french onion soup and some kind of sandwich or salad. I get home on the bus midafternoon so I don't have a ton of time to prep.

97guns 02-27-2012 01:36 PM

Won Ton Soup

just had the most amazing bowl of won ton soup, my mom made it :yum:

jonnyjonny_uk 02-27-2012 02:06 PM

I had some more restaurant curry gravy leftover from yesterday so just fried up some chicken, whizzed some cashew nuts in the blender with a little garlic oil added to the chicken, stirred in the sauce and added a generous helping of cream at the end, sprinkled with finely chopped coriander and red chillis and had myself a quick chicken korma:chef: