Tipping on wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Armeniaka66

Assistant Cook
Should you tip for a bottle of wine at you have with a meal in a restaurant? This question is mostly for servers.

I haven't been a server for more than 30 years, but I have to ask this: why wouldn't you tip for the wine? It's part of the meal. The server had to fetch it from somewhere, bring it to your table, open it, and pour the first glass.

As far as I'm concerned, the tip is based on the total amount of the bill, not just the food part of it.

It's true that is part of my meal but are you really telling me that if I order a 100.00 dollar bottle of wine or a 15.00 dollar wine I should tip respectfully when they just open and pour my first glass?

Should you tip for a bottle of wine at you have with a meal in a restaurant? This question is mostly for servers.
It's true that is part of my meal but are you really telling me that if I order a 100.00 dollar bottle of wine or a 15.00 dollar wine I should tip respectfully when they just open and pour my first glass?

I'm not a server (nor have ever been involved in the restaurant industry or any service industry) but...

What did the server have to do with cooking your food other than taking your order and bringing it from the kitchen? How is that any more than opening a bottle and pouring a glass? In fact it seems more to me like the server was more involved in opening the bottle and pouring the glass, than anything related to the food you were served.

You're buying $100/bottle wine and bothered by leaving a 10%-20% tip? (I'm bothered by the idea that I can't afford $100/bottle wine.)

I prefer restaurants that don't triple supermarket prices on their wines. In fact I feel like I got a bargain if they only double the supermarket.

I once paid $20 for a bottle of Charles Shaw Chardonnay at a restaurant ($1.99 at Trader Joe's). It was the least expensive wine they had and I hate eating dinner without wine. I never went back to that restaurant. The food was good, the management style was atrocious, unforgivable. Let them soak other people, not me. I recall they weren't very crowded...

I had dinner at one of my favorite restaurants tonight. They have free corkage every Thursday, bring your own wine and there's no corkage fee. Even better since my wine had a screw top! ;)

I also like restaurants that have reasonable corkage fees. If they're going to charge me only $4-$5 to let me bring my own bottle I'll take that any day.

Now if only I can find a restaurant with free wine... :chef:

Last edited:
I haven't been a server for more than 30 years, but I have to ask this: why wouldn't you tip for the wine? It's part of the meal. The server had to fetch it from somewhere, bring it to your table, open it, and pour the first glass.

As far as I'm concerned, the tip is based on the total amount of the bill, not just the food part of it.
This

I always tip on wine, don't get me wrong, but its ok to tip on corkage too. Some times I feel like I have been tipping wrong, when I feel like I can just tip the bartender more sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom