Help! Can I use rice milk in buttercream frosting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello all,

I'm a bit exhausted, as it's the day before my son's 5th and my double birthday party. I was going a bit nuts with the desserts, but I'm sad to say they both are moderate at best compared to my past cakes.

Part of my problem stems from converting a recipe from chocolate cake to cupcakes, and vanilla cupcakes to cake. (Btw, everything is gluten-free.) The chocolate cupcakes ended up burning on the bottom, but fine on top during five minutes of pure exhaustion last night. :( And now my Rainbow Spiderman vanilla cake that comes from a great source and has rave reviews is very dense, albeit fluffy, and very rainbow inside.

So... now, the frosting has to be AMAZING to compensate! I've found this recipe for buttercream frosting, but I forgot about the milk, and I don't normally keep cow's milk on hand. Can I substitute rice milk for cow's milk, or coconut milk perhaps? Or should I run to the store for heavy cream/cow's milk to make this taste great?

I need six cups of frosting, and since this makes 2.5 cups, I'm tripling it for 7.5 cups. (Unless someone wants to calculate the ingredients for 6 cups for me. =)) I'm dividing these up into six colors to dye them for the rainbow frosting.

I'd love your opinions and experience please. I have a long night of frosting (Spiderman-shape cake - in a rainbow of colors!) ahead of me. Thank you very much for your help!!!

AFAIK coconut milk is just an Asian cooking ingredient, so called because it looks like milk. I'm pretty sure it was never intended as a milk substitute.

Not so sure about rice milk.

OP, you already seem to have some problems caused by recipe substitutions and alterations. I think you should just drive to the store and get some milk or whatever you need for the recipe.

One basic rule of entertaining is to not experiment on guests. Cook only recipes that you have cooked previously with good results. The day before an occasion is NOT the day to change recipes and substitute unknown ingredients.

Thank you for your quick responses. I'm back from the store with HEAVY CREAM! (I checked with my co-ops deli on the cream vs milk - they agreed it would be thicker and more delicious with cream). Also got some organic raspberries (yay, on sale even!), and if I have time, I'll figure out some raspberry sauce to pour over pieces, and if I don't, folks can just have a couple with their piece. Either way, let the compensating begin! :chef:

I think coconut milk would be better than the rice milk. Texture wise. Would be a fine experiment on a day you are not so stressed!:)

Actually you could even substitute water in a recipe like this. You are getting most of your flavor from the real butter, the liquid is just used to thin down the icing a bit to create a good piping/spreading consistency. Cream will be richer, but isn't a make or break ingredient. I've used milk, water, cream, even booze in recipes like this with good results.

Though it is too late to answer the original question, but in the future if somebody is looking for non-dairy substitute for milk the Coffee Rich non-dairy creamer is the way to go. I cannot use milk a lot of times so I’ve tried everything. Of course nothing will really substitute the real milk or real cream. But if lactose intolerance, or kosher like in my case is an issue, it is definitely the way to go.

Though it is too late to answer the original question, but in the future if somebody is looking for non-dairy substitute for milk the Coffee Rich non-dairy creamer is the way to go. I cannot use milk a lot of times so I’ve tried everything. Of course nothing will really substitute the real milk or real cream. But if lactose intolerance, or kosher like in my case is an issue, it is definitely the way to go.
Maybe it tastes okay, but have you read the ingredients?

Water, Corn Syrup, Soybean(s) Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Contains less than 22% of Mono and Diglycerides, Soy Protein Isolate, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Polysorbate 60, Dipotassium Phosphate, Disodium Phosphate, Flavor(s) Artificial, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Beta Carotene.

http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionF...chs-Coffee-Rich-Non-Dairy-Creamer-32-oz/50600

I would rather use coconut milk or coconut cream.

Last edited:
As jennyema said, the fat comes from the butter.

The liquid is just there to thin it down to spreading consistency, it can be almost any liquid, but I'd go with something that isn't going to take over the flavor.

Back
Top Bottom