Best way to store fresh mint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I love fresh mint but it only seems to last 3-4 days in my fridge. I usually keep it in the plastic bag from the supermarket. Is there a better way to store it so it lasts longer?

Cut off the bottom inch or so of stem, and put it in a glass of water, making sure leaves aren't under the water. Change out the water every day or so. You can keep it on the counter, or stick it in the fridge.

Some might root, and you can plant it! Mint is invasive, I grow mine in pots buried in the ground.

Last edited:
Dawgluver said:
Cut off the bottom inch or so of stem, and put it in a glass of water, making sure leaves aren't under the water. Change out the water every day or so. You can keep it on the counter, or stick it in the fridge.

Some might root, and you can plant it! Mint is invasive, I grow mine in pots buried in the ground.

I love the idea of keeping it in water on the counter. I'm hoping it's not toxic to cats because one of mine eats any plant in the house!

kitchengoddess8 said:
I love the idea of keeping it in water on the counter. I'm hoping it's not toxic to cats because one of mine eats any plant in the house!

Catnip is actually a member of the mint family! And her breath should smell really good...

Leave it on the counter long enough and it will grow roots. Then you can plant it and get more mint. ;)

I did that back in April when I had two sprigs of mint left after making Margi's http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/roasted-beetroot-feta-mint-mousse-or-cottage-cheese-or-ricotta-78566.html#post1121126.

My mint plant is a half a meter tall now. :)

I wonder if you could do this with mint. I have a Portuguese friend who keeps basil in a bowl of water. She puts the leaves under the water. It works great for about a week. Most cats won't bother to fish a plant out of water, even if they nibble every other plant they can find. Guess how I know.

Wow. I didn't know you could plant it. How much sunlight does it need? I live in.a New York City apartment with poor light :(

Not much light needed. I grow mine in my shade garden amongst the ferns and hostas. Be careful, plant it in a pot and dig that into a hole. It will take over!

You could probably plant it in a pot and grow it in a window.

Last edited:
taxlady said:
I wonder if you could do this with mint. I have a Portuguese friend who keeps basil in a bowl of water. She puts the leaves under the water. It works great for about a week. Most cats won't bother to fish a plant out of water, even if they nibble every other plant they can find. Guess how I know.

I wouldn't have the leaves underwater, they rot.

Does that actually keep the mint from spreading? Mine has sent out a lateral shoot that is trying to climb over the edge of the pot. :ohmy:

taxlady said:
Does that actually keep the mint from spreading? Mine has sent out a lateral shoot that is trying to climb over the edge of the pot. :ohmy:

I have to watch mine carefully. Have peppermint, wintergreen, spearmint, and lemonbalm. I yank whatever is invading from it's pot, and eat it!

Last edited:
TL--you can use pots or large coffee cans. I saw/cut off the bottom. I do this with oregano as well because it tends to take over if given the chance.

I'd love to be able to have my own mint plant! It would save a lot of money. It's very pricey here!

Give it a shot! Lots of herbs will root from cuttings.

Another thought is to just buy a small mint plant from a greenhouse or plant store and pot it up. Mine grow in pretty shady conditions, if you grow it inside, it might get a bit leggy, but you will still have fresh mint. Have fun!

Buonasera, Buenas Tardes,

Like Dawgluver, I keep it in water on the counter ...

However, I also pot some so I have it on hand ...

No kit kats or pups or mascots at moment in house ... The 2 donkies love mint as a treat and Equis, flips for it ... He likes spearmint and peppermint candies ...

Have a lovely wkend,
Margi.

Throw a good sized bunch of that mint into a pot roast that's almost done and has been cooking in red wine,onions,garlic and some beef broth, the taste will surprise you put some of the beef/red wine jus over a thick cut of French bread, buttered if you like and then dig in...Heaven yep
kades

Square-stemmed herbs root better in water than wood stemmed (rosemary, thyme). I've had rosemary throw out a root or two when kept in water, but did not get them to actually get to enough roots re: planting. I've had lots of mint and basil root when kept in water on the counter.

You can also buy herbs like cilantro and mint at the store with the roots still attached.

CWS is correct, much easier to root succulent-stemmed herbs than woody- stemmed, though it's not impossible. Some rooting hormone and planting in damp sand or vermiculite will usually do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom