2 hobs in Amsterdam!? ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SimplyCassie

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

Me and myself are staying in a studio in Amsterdam soon, would like to cook us a nice evening meal one night but only have 2 hobs! (quite a small studio)..

Anyway got any ideas? My fiance loves meat (and lots of it), spices and garlic bread! haha

Thanks,

Cassie

Invest in a steam basket that will sit on top of your saucepan for a start. You can get good cheap bamboo ones from most Chinese supermarkets/ food shops. Into the saucepan I suggest some tiny new potatoes to boil. Into the steamer put two fresh salmon fillets lightly seasoned with pepper and salt on a bed of a few stalks of asparagus. While this is all cooking away gently prepare some hollandaise sauce. Cheat and buy a good one if you are not sure. There is your main course sorted. Chop a bit of parsley and mix with a little knob of butter to lay over the potatoes just before serving.
On the other hob, poach some cut up peaches and apricots, or pears with a little sugar or conserve that you may have in the cupboard. leave to cool while eating the main course and serve with a little Advocaat drizzled over or a good ice cream, something like that anyway.
Hope this has given you some inspiration anyway

Do you have an oven as well, or just the stove top?

Boeuf Bourguignon and Arroz con Pollo are two of my favorite one-dish entrees. Both have plenty of meat and spice. I usually make them in the oven, but they could just as easily be made on the stove top using the low simmer setting.

Stay away from behind the train station!;) Remember that the "Coffee Bars" are a great place for people observation!:ohmy: Learn to like lots of seafood and the Heineken on draft is addictive!:LOL:

Do you have an oven as well, or just the stove top?

Boeuf Bourguignon and Arroz con Pollo are two of my favorite one-dish entrees. Both have plenty of meat and spice. I usually make them in the oven, but they could just as easily be made on the stove top using the low simmer setting.

I usually make both of these on a stove top burner. Also stuffed cabbage leaves (and I usually make up extra meat mixture and toss in a few meat balls and a ring of smoked sausage to give the sauce more flavor). It is nice to be able to finish the meal in the oven, but very low heat on the hob is fine. Stir-frying is good; any kind of meat. Roasts of any kind can be seared, then braised (a little wine or water in the bottom of the pan after browning, add some onion, garlic, and veg of choice, cover and let sit on low heat for an hour or three, depending on the meat and how well done you like it). Some stoves don't get low enough, just turn it off for a little while, then back on again. It will keep cooking.

Back
Top Bottom