Cauliflower Crust - Have you tried it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JanetMlr

Cook
Recently I came across (maybe on this site?) a recipe for cauliflower crust grilled cheese sandwiches. I was skeptical, but mainly because I just don't eat cauliflower. I've made dishes with it for guests or family for holiday meals, but never ate it. I took that first bite hesitantly... then devoured the rest! Delicious! I will definitely make this again. Next? Cauliflower crust pizza. There are many recipes for these things that I've been checking out. I will make this grilled cheese again. And, although there's a recipe for cauliflower crust pizza on the same site, I've decided on one from another site.

Well, that's a new one on me. And I have to try it. My wife loves pizza, but we've been limiting breads. And this sounds like it has real possibilities for light pizza. Which cheese did you use in the crust?

I have a recipe for cabbage based pizza....much nicer than it sounds (shredded cabbage and onions lightly fried then mixed into egg and flour). Produces a chewy but light and compact base.

Just found the recipe for this cauliflower crust...(sounds a bit basic flavourwise)

http://ifoodreal.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust-recipe/

Last edited:
I'll give it a try!

Could you share the recipe that you are using?

I think the mixture would be a winner on a breakfast platter if it was fried off similar to potato pancakes or as part of a lo carb hash.

Last edited:
Been doing this for a couple years now, and it is FANTASTIC! Great for vegan pizzas/flatbreads, and as a non vegan I was skeptical, but after the first bite, was hooked! you can even break it up a bit and toss in buffalo sauce and serve with ranch, great snack!

This sounds interesting enough to try.

I had to laugh when I followed the link above. The person who wrote it mentioned several times how they eat so healthy -- even to the point of avoiding microwave ovens. And yet they seem to have no problem loading up on the cheese. I mean, if you like cheese (and I sure do), just eat it. But don't try to tout it as health food. :rolleyes:

This sounds interesting enough to try.

I had to laugh when I followed the link above. The person who wrote it mentioned several times how they eat so healthy -- even to the point of avoiding microwave ovens. And yet they seem to have no problem loading up on the cheese. I mean, if you like cheese (and I sure do), just eat it. But don't try to tout it as health food. :rolleyes:

+1 And I don't believe for a moment that that cheese pizza has only 1/2 cup of cheese on it.

Well, that's a new one on me. And I have to try it. My wife loves pizza, but we've been limiting breads. And this sounds like it has real possibilities for light pizza. Which cheese did you use in the crust?
So sorry. I hadn't been back here and hadn't seen your post. The recipe for the cauliflower crust grilled cheese called for mozzarella cheese.

Cauliflower Crust Grilled Cheese

There are many of these recipes around. Here's a recipe for cauliflower crust pizza I'm considering:

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

I've tried it for pizza but mine unfortunately turned out quite soggy.
I know that can happen. But I've also seen a lot of comments about successes too. I think there are some tips and tricks we need to learn. My daughter has made it and it was crisp and firm, and sliced up nicely. Hopefully you'll try again. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'm up for a few tries. I think it's worth the effort. Among the failures have been a lot more successes and people very happy with the result. My first try will be using a preheated pizza stone.

I was so thrilled with the cauliflower crust 'bread' for the grilled cheese, I inquired about making a supply and freezing. I will definitely be doing that.

I have made it and had much success with it. To avoid it being soggy you really need to get the water out of the cauliflower. I've learned that is the biggest trick. It is a lot of work in my opinion but worth it for me as I have celiac disease.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom