Just Curious. Recipe Format Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
It doesn't happen often, just once in a while. When it does, I notice it and its bothers me. It' a low level bother to be sure but I don't like it.

Why do recipe writers list an ingredient amount as "3 teaspoons" rather than "1 Tablespoon"? You never see a measure listed as 8 fluid ounces rather than a cup or 16 ounces rather than 1 Lb.

Any thoughts why this is?

My first guess would be scaling and having a recipe that started out with a teaspoon and then was tripled.

I have seen, though rarely, 8oz instead of a cup. I had to think about it for a moment when I did.

Just a guess Andy..it must be written by someone who doesn't know that 3 tsp. is 1 Tbs.

On second thought, I think I saw someone across the pond say the tsp/Tbs measure is different.

I will do that if the entire amount is not going to be used at once. Let's say I am going to saute 2 different items, one in a teaspoon of light olive oil and another in 2 teaspoons of light olive oil. I will list it as 3 tsp of light olive oil, rather than 1 Tbs light olive oil, divided, and specify the amount for each saute in the instructions.

My first guess would be scaling and having a recipe that started out with a teaspoon and then was tripled...

Frank, the recipe was for a cake. It made two layers, a standard amount for cake recipes. I don't think scaling was the origin in this recipe.

I will do that if the entire amount is not going to be used at once. Let's say I am going to saute 2 different items, one in a teaspoon of light olive oil and another in 2 teaspoons of light olive oil. I will list it as 3 tsp of light olive oil, rather than 1 Tbs light olive oil, divided, and specify the amount for each saute in the instructions.

Not in this case. It was a layer cake recipe and the ingredient was baking powder added all at once.

If an ingredient is to be used in different parts of the recipe it usually says, "X amount, divided" When I write a recipe, I list the ingredient twice with the separate amounts to avoid confusion.

Just a guess Andy..it must be written by someone who doesn't know that 3 tsp. is 1 Tbs.

On second thought, I think I saw someone across the pond say the tsp/Tbs measure is different.

Kayelle, I believe there is a difference in some other countries but the tablespoon size is different too. In some countries the size of a cup measure is different too..

When I measure I would say that 3 teaspoons is slightly more than one tablespoon simply because I don't faff around with levelling spoon measures.

I have long had an opinion on this and thought the reason could be for the benefit of inattentive cooks/bakers. 1T. could be misinterpreted as 1 t.

I have long had an opinion on this and thought the reason could be for the benefit of inattentive cooks/bakers. 1T. could be misinterpreted as 1 t.

Beth, in most recipes I've seen online, the words are spelled out as 'teaspoon' and 'Tablespoon'. I used to use 'T' and 't' until SO complained. Now I use 'tsp' and 'Tb'.

You should all worry!
Here in France, recipes talk of 'Soup Spoons'..............and THAT is the equivalent of our 'table spoons'. Our teaspoons are THEIR coffee spoons but they are smaller (so one has to adjust accordingly) Always best to hold the wine until AFTER one has sorted out the cutlery when cooking :LOL:

Not different in the UK but in Australia, according to an Aussie cookery book I have, a tablespoon is 4 teaspoons. At a guess I think it might be in New Zealand too but not sure.

Andy, that always bugs me too.

In most Danish recipes they use grams and decilitres or litres. If they write a teaspoon or tablespoon, they usually mean regular cutlery - that the amount doesn't need to be all that exact.

Beth, in most recipes I've seen online, the words are spelled out as 'teaspoon' and 'Tablespoon'. I used to use 'T' and 't' until SO complained. Now I use 'tsp' and 'Tb'.

I withdraw my use of the word, inattentive:). I think recipes are written that way for the sake of clarity.

...Why do recipe writers list an ingredient amount as "3 teaspoons" rather than "1 Tablespoon"?...
...It was a layer cake recipe and the ingredient was baking powder added all at once.
I have seen the same thing, and always with baking powder. After years of running across this, I finally decided it has something to do with the ratio of measuring spoon dimention to container lid opening. If you have a round TBSP and a small mouth on a container, it doesn't always fit in. Hence, 3 tsp. The recipe writer is making sure math-challenged people aren't confused. Just about of covering their...butt. ;)

I have seen the same thing, and always with baking powder. After years of running across this, I finally decided it has something to do with the ratio of measuring spoon dimention to container lid opening. If you have a round TBSP and a small mouth on a container, it doesn't always fit in. Hence, 3 tsp. The recipe writer is making sure math-challenged people aren't confused. Just about of covering their...butt. ;)

Stop reading my mind...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom