Store bought yogurt does not freeze?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theVitc

Assistant Cook
I like freezing my store bought single portions and then eating them partly thawed. Lately I have been noticing some of the portions don't freeze at all! While the majority are solid. Has anyone run into this and have an explanation.

For the record I toss the ones that don't freeze because I just don't know what is going on.

Thanks

I make my own yogurt, and freeze a couple T for the next starter. I haven't run into non-freezing yogurt.

I caught part of an episode of America's Test Kitchen the other day. They were talking about frozen yogurt and said that freezing it kills the cultures that make it healthier than ice cream.

I caught part of an episode of America's Test Kitchen the other day. They were talking about frozen yogurt and said that freezing it kills the cultures that make it healthier than ice cream.
That's what I was afraid, but Dawg seems to be able to start another batch of yogourt with frozen starter, so it can't be dead. The other reason frozen yogourt is supposed to be healthier than ice cream is that it's lower fat. It's already a lot thicker than cream.

I like freezing my store bought single portions and then eating them partly thawed. Lately I have been noticing some of the portions don't freeze at all! While the majority are solid. Has anyone run into this and have an explanation.

For the record I toss the ones that don't freeze because I just don't know what is going on.

Thanks

First, Welcome to DC. Second, stop throwing it away, it is fine. I'm sure it has to do with the sugar/fruit content, the fruit mixture does not freeze as solid as straight yogurt does. Since it has been kept at freezing temperatures, it is fine to eat.

Hope that helps.

Thank-you PrincessFiona.

That makes perfect sense. Just wanted another opinion.

John

Remember that the yogurt may develop an acidic taste and a clumpy texture. So you may not feel like eating it directly after freezing it more than a month, but using it in smoothies or baking will give the perfectly normal taste.
Did anyone know about the active bacteria in yogurt? Does freezing yogurt kill the bacteria or there are dangerous?

Remember that the yogurt may develop an acidic taste and a clumpy texture. So you may not feel like eating it directly after freezing it more than a month, but using it in smoothies or baking will give the perfectly normal taste.
Did anyone know about the active bacteria in yogurt? Does freezing yogurt kill the bacteria or there are dangerous?
The freezing doesn't seem to kill all the active bacteria. We were discussing whether or not there was enough active bacteria after freezing to culture more batches of yogourt and people have tried it and it works. The active bacteria in yogourt are actually good for you, unless the yogourt has been contaminated with something nasty. Active nasty ones wouldn't be good for you.

Back
Top Bottom