Sandwiches from around the world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is just a small sampling. Where are the Po Boy, Cuban, Media Noche and Reuben etc. I always thought the Muffuletta originated at the Central Grocery in NOLA and a cheese steak was made with rib-eye and not chicken.

Thanks for the link, creative - wow, there are some great looking sandwiches there.

The only thing they could come up with for the US was peanut butter and jelly? :ermm::LOL:

Thanks for the link, creative - wow, there are some great looking sandwiches there.

The only thing they could come up with for the US was peanut butter and jelly? :ermm::LOL:
Ha...yes, I thought the same about UK being represented by the chip butty! :ohmy:
But then saw that London gets to be defined by a pork roast roll (far better).

What sandwich do you think better represents US?

Wonder how they decided on what gets shown...
eusa_think.gif

Last edited:
Ha...yes, I thought the same about UK being represented by the chip butty! :ohmy:

eusa_think.gif

I don't know for certain what might be best, but peanut butter and jelly sure ain't it.

Perhaps the most common and ubiquitous sandwich in the US is the hamburger, but there are so many variations on it that it's hard to say that it qualifies as just one sandwich. The Hot Dog is also supposed to be an American contribution to sandwich style foods.

For cold sandwiches, I'd go with a Poor Boy/Hero/Submarine sandwich, as they are found just about everywhere under different names.

eusa_think.gif

IMHO, I think PB&J would be the only all-encompassing U.S. sandwich, except maybe a grilled American cheese sammy (aka Kraft, Borden, etc. - sliced processed cheese). There are a multitude of regional specialties, some of which have been mentioned in this thread, as well as your link.

I don't know for certain what might be best, but peanut butter and jelly sure ain't it.

Perhaps the most common and ubiquitous sandwich in the US is the hamburger, but there are so many variations on it that it's hard to say that it qualifies as just one sandwich. The Hot Dog is also supposed to be an American contribution to sandwich style foods.

For cold sandwiches, I'd go with a Poor Boy/Hero/Submarine sandwich, as they are found just about everywhere under different names.

Was just going to say that, RP. :)

Don't forget that Po Boys can be made with fried oysters, shrimp, fish and soft-shell blue crab, served hot/warm.

There are some really tasty looking sandwiches in that article, creative. My eyes thank you, but my tummy is now on a mission to make me eat. That peanut butter and jelly sammie just wouldn't do it justice right now. And for heaven's sakes, make it on honey whole wheat bread and leave the yummy crust on! I know one thing for sure, though. Our daughter would love a chip butty! Her ideal supper is french fries as a side to a baked potato! As far as three slices of bread in a club sandwich? Whenever I've seen those, it looks like they are made out of thinner slices of bread. Maybe those three add up to two normal slices? I wouldn't know - my mouth isn't big enough to try one. :whistling:

If I had to pick the quintessential U.S. sandwich, my choice would the a hamburger. Even though they might be dressed up differently from region to region, in the end they all are pretty much a ground beef patty between two halves of a sandwich bun as the basic.

The one thing I miss most about low carb dieting is sandwiches.
Put your meat, cheese, and toppings between two sturdy pieces of romaine lettuce. When I want a sandwich but not the bread, I take two large leaves, fold each one tip-to-base to double them up and square them off, then make my sandwich. If you want condiments, I recommend you smear them between the slices of meat or cheese because they just don't adhere to the lettuce like they would on bread. NOT a real sandwich, but still danged good.

The one thing I miss most about low carb dieting is sandwiches.
Presumably low carb doesn't mean no carb so how about pitta bread?
(Nicer briefly warmed up, e.g. on a grill).

Would that be allowed?

Just have to respond to CG's mention above of a peanut butter sandwich on a good whole wheat bread with crust...YES! :LOL: I'll happily have one of those with a spread of good honey instead of jelly any day. :yum:

Last edited:
Put your meat, cheese, and toppings between two sturdy pieces of romaine lettuce. When I want a sandwich but not the bread, I take two large leaves, fold each one tip-to-base to double them up and square them off, then make my sandwich. If you want condiments, I recommend you smear them between the slices of meat or cheese because they just don't adhere to the lettuce like they would on bread. NOT a real sandwich, but still danged good.

Fortunately, Carl's Jr. offers just that. The call it lo carb, and it is a burger with the toppings wrapped in a leaf of iceberg lettuce. Kayelle then slides it into a sandwich bag to hold it together

Presumably low carb doesn't mean no carb so how about pitta bread?
(Nicer briefly warmed up, e.g. on a grill).

Would that be allowed?

Pita bread has more than twice the carbs of white bread. It's basically white bread with the air squished out, but it ends up being thicker.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom