Mon. dinner..8/8/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Anyone eat tonight?

I did marinated chicken breast kabobs on the grill with mushrooms/red bell pepper/zucchini with a side of Mexican rice. Yumm.:yum:

Did anyone else eat?;)

:LOL: Glad you posted a dinner thread for today, Kay. My internal clock has been all messed up from sleeping weird hours due to a yukky cold, and I hate to see a daily dinner thread go missing. ;)

Nothing exciting this evening - half of a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich on sourdough, with watermelon on the side. Lots of water to wash it all down.

DH grilled a large New York strip steak and we shared it. I microwaved, then smashed and broiled homegrown baby potatoes with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning and made a delicious caprese salad with homegrown tomatoes and basil. So good.

Aren't the baby potatoes cute?! lol

Attachments

• 1470718920590.jpg
    1470718920590.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 1470718932749.jpg
    1470718932749.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 144
2 kinds of quesadillas. In front, corn nibs flavored with oregano and S and P, with fontinella cheese. Leftover shredded mojo-marinated grilled chicken with fresh figs, chipotles, toasted chopped pecans (supposed to be walnuts, which I thought we had in freezer, but didn't), with chihuahua cheese, garnished with avocado, cilantro and sour cream. First time for the fig and chicken one. I'd make again but would add more figs and surprisingly for me more chipotle, maybe even some of the paste/liquid/oozy stuff??. They weren't anywhere near as dark as they look in picture in the back, the lighting sucked where I took the pic and I didn't look at it untli after I ate.

Publix has figs on sale for BOGO this week so we are using them in several recipes this week and will make a chutney with what's left for a pork tenderloin roast next week.

37240-albums1042-picture6607.jpg

DH grilled a large New York strip steak and we shared it. I microwaved, then smashed and broiled homegrown baby potatoes with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning and made a delicious caprese salad with homegrown tomatoes and basil. So good.

Aren't the baby potatoes cute?! lol

Looks fantastic. One of the baby potatoes looks just like a wine cork!

Nice looking dinners, GG and Medtran. The figs sound like a good ingredient.

I managed to salvage my blah tasting homegrown cherry tomatoes, and made a nice sauce by roasting them and throwing them in the FP, then added some chicken broth to turn it into soup. It turned out really good. http://www.marthastewart.com/1106724/roasted-cherry-tomato-sauce

Last edited:
Looks delicious, GG and Medtran. :yum:

Dawg, glad you were able to salvage your 'maters. The roasted tomato recipe turned into soup sounds very good!

Last edited:
I bought 2 lbs of blue mussels the other day (I can only get them pkged like that without going all the way in town to a fish monger). They were really quite small, half the normal size. I usually get 30+ only I was surprised to see that this time there were 60 in the bag. But man! they were SWEET!!!

Trouble is - how many blue mussels can a single person eat in one sitting without turning blue! LOL! This is a perpetual problem for me.

So yesterday I did half in a spicy tomato sauce and this afternoon I found a recipe and did the other half in a Turkish Pilaf. Sooo good. I ate ALL the mussels and a good portion of the rice and will figure out what to do with the rest of the rice tomorrow. It had pine nuts (which did not call for them toasted - mistake on my part - should have), lots of onions, mint, a bit of tomato paste (not enough to turn the colour thou) and currents. Yummy yummy yummy.

It was sweet (recipe called for a bit of sugar) and I sort of hesitated about that. I've had a couple of tagines that, truth to tell, were a little too sweet for me with the dried fruits. I guess I'm old school, I mostly like my main dishes savoury, not sweet.

I did take pics but unfortunately I have not downloaded them nor can I remember how to post them here. I'll get there thou!

and GG - those potatoes DO look darling. Would love to get some that size up here. OMG they must almost be like potato chips when smashed and roasted!:yum:

Fresh tomatoes/onion/garlic/chicken broth into soup, once cooked and blended, added equal part of buttermilk, add salt to taste, serve warm not hot. It was good.

Back
Top Bottom