Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice bread-slicing guide! What are the sizes of the slices?

I've been debating on whether I should get a broiler pan. On one hand, I rarely used mine in the old stove. On the other hand, I didn't use it because the broiler did not work well. What kind is this and how do you like it?
This is the Whirlpool branded one. It seems to work well and didn't warp the first time I used it. Unlike the flat cookie sheet I tried the first time.

It sees to be pretty well made.

Ok, I know this isn't a big deal, but I've wanted one for a while. After talking to SO I decided to order one.

ACB772F4-332E-48E8-A6E8-14AC0280335C_1_105_c.jpg

I'm currently softening a stick of butter for the trial run.

I've always wanted a Butter, what? Crock is it called?
Having lived in warmer climates up until 4 years ago,
I've been leery of trying that.
I have left my cute little glass butter dish out,
but after a few days, the butter turns a funny looking
color around the edges :huh:
Is this not suppose to happen with a Crock?

It's called a butter bell. I think it'll be better than leaving the butter dish out because the butter is not exposed to the air.

I've always wanted a Butter, what? Crock is it called?
Having lived in warmer climates up until 4 years ago,
I've been leery of trying that.
I have left my cute little glass butter dish out,
but after a few days, the butter turns a funny looking
color around the edges :huh:
Is this not suppose to happen with a Crock
?

It will not. A good/safe way to have softened butter at all times. :)

Ross

Butter Bell, gotcha!
I don't eat that much butter and DH SAYS that he hates it,
but when I do want some butter, I'd rather that it be soft.
Can I put say a 1/4 of a stick in a Butter Bell?

They come in different sizes. The one I bought holds more that a stick.

I love our butter bell. In warmer months, I will change the water every few days. Dump the old water and put in fresh water. The butter rarely goes bad. We do use butter and ours also holds one stick. As Andy said, they make them in all sizes though.

Doesn't the butter get wet? That sounds a bit disgusting to me.

We have one, but have never used it because of that.

Because the butter if fully packed in the bell, water only touches the surface to keep it from absorbing flavours and debris. When you lift the bell there are barely a couple of drops of water.

Because the butter if fully packed in the bell, water only touches the surface to keep it from absorbing flavours and debris. When you lift the bell there are barely a couple of drops of water.
But the edges of the bell are wet, and that drips onto the counter. I got tired of cleaning it up.

I let the water drip for a second over the water well. Water in the butter is not an issue - especially as the butter is used. The air displaces water as the butter is used. Much like oil and water, butter and water really do not mix.

I will change the water in hotter temperatures just to keep it fresh. But that is dump the water and refill an inch of fresh from the faucet.

I let the water drip for a second over the water well. Water in the butter is not an issue - especially as the butter is used. The air displaces water as the butter is used. Much like oil and water, butter and water really do not mix.

I will change the water in hotter temperatures just to keep it fresh. But that is dump the water and refill an inch of fresh from the faucet.

Exactly.. :)

Ross

One thing to remember about the butter bell. When putting in butter make sure the bowl is room temperature. If you just washed it in warm water either let it cool back down or run cold water over the outside of the bell.

If it is warmish the butter won't stick to it well and you might end up with a ball of butter in the water. The butter isn't ruined or anything but it isn't as nice when trying to butter your toast.

Back
Top Bottom