A Real Martini?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gin
Ingredients for Classic Martini Recipe

• 2 ounces gin
  • 1/2 ounce dry vermouth
Instructions

1. Place gin and vermouth in a cocktail shaker with ice.
  2. Gently shake and pour, straining the ice, into a martini glass
  3. Garnish with an olive or a twist of lemon or lime.

I haven't bothered to count, but I am getting the impression that most you are putting gin into your martini glass. I have only one thing to say to that:

Stop it! You're killing me. I'll trade my dusty bottle of Tanguery to anyone who wants it. What do you have in trade?:-p

VeraBlue said:
I haven't bothered to count, but I am getting the impression that most you are putting gin into your martini glass. I have only one thing to say to that:

Stop it! You're killing me. I'll trade my dusty bottle of Tanguery to anyone who wants it. What do you have in trade?:-p

DIBS!!!! I call DIBS on the gin!!!!

After all, Vera laid claim to a bottle of my bourbon a while back! (And I still haven't opened it! :-p )

As for me, I like vodka or gin, but I do prefer Vodka.

John

You know, RonJohn, somehow, I just knew this post would bring you out! Hope you are well, haven't seen you for a while.

I just bought another bottle of Stoli Blueberri. I simply cannot wait till summer for a VeraBluetini.:devilish:

VeraBlue said:
You know, RonJohn, somehow, I just knew this post would bring you out! Hope you are well, haven't seen you for a while.

I just bought another bottle of Stoli Blueberri. I simply cannot wait till summer for a VeraBluetini.:devilish:

Yeah, been lurking around a bit - not posting so much. been on the go most of the year so far, and heading out of town again tomorrow. At least this trip is for R&R, so there will be martinis (or a suitable stand in) involved.

John

One proper martini is the receipe suggested by Sir Winston Churchill - take the bottle of gin from the freezer and show it the bottle of vermouth in passing...

I learned to drink martinis from my ex-mother-in-law, Marge. A proper Marge-tini is made with 1/2 shot of dry vermouth poured over ice in a shaker. Add 4 ponys of cold gin. Gently shake, strain from the shaker into a glass with two olives.

Bombay Blue is the martini gin, and Tanqueray is the G&T gin, but can be used in a pinch for the Marge-tini

You know what they call gin here in England? Mothers ruin. :yuk:

When I first moved here last year we went to a really nice restaurant for dinner. I ordered a martini from the bar and he thought I meant the brand of vermouth they serve called "Martini" :rolleyes:

Ive yet to have a proper vodka martini here, so I just get vodka on the rocks ...oh how I miss home!!

bob_rx2000 said:
I learned to drink martinis from my ex-mother-in-law, Marge. A proper Marge-tini is made with 1/2 shot of dry vermouth poured over ice in a shaker. Add 4 ponys of cold gin. Gently shake, strain from the shaker into a glass with two olives.

uote]

Bob, what's a pony? And don't say something silly like; a hooved quadraped.:wacko:

Buck

A Pony Is Not an Equine Animal in this regard...

Sorry, Buck,

That is probably just local lingo from growing up. A pony is a jigger, ie, a shot and a half... Don't ask me how it got that nickname...

VeraBlue said:

Vera, I'm in line for a VeraBluetini! Had a wonderful blueberry martini at the One and Only Club in the Bahamas with Emeril!

Although I enjoy the martini I posted earlier (Belvidere, NO vermouth, shaken, three olives) I recently came across Absolut Pear. This shaken and poured into a martini glass garnished with a slice of fresh pear - oh my! The is ABSOLUTely wonderful!

Michelemarie said:
Vera, I'm in line for a VeraBluetini! Had a wonderful blueberry martini at the One and Only Club in the Bahamas with Emeril!

Although I enjoy the martini I posted earlier (Belvidere, NO vermouth, shaken, three olives) I recently came across Absolut Pear. This shaken and poured into a martini glass garnished with a slice of fresh pear - oh my! The is ABSOLUTely wonderful!

I hope you told him the martini was created for my own purposes!! I've never seen the absolut pear...sounds great!

I generally prefer to drink vodka but when I drink "real" martinis I like gin with two olives.

I will drink a vodka martini in a pinch but then I prefer it to be "dirty".

P.S.
I know that it has become "cool" to drink really dry martinis (shots of gin or vodka is what they really are) but my friend made us martinis with vermouth this summer and I was really impressed how much I liked it. Give vermouth a chance.
:-p

I read this post just now....
Gin, adding very little dry martini (no vermouth).
Then I squeeze the skin of a lemon on the glass, and add a little onion in vinegar.

A traditional martini is gin-based with a drop or two of dry vermouth unless specified otherwise.

Vodka must be called specifically ... and thus is not a true martini. =P Argue it all ya want, but it's truth.

Vodka is masked beautifully with whatever kind of mixer you add with it and that's why it is the booze of choice. =P There's no disguising gin.

Me, I'll take my K1 (Kettle One) vodka on the rocks. I may take it with a lemon twist if I'm feeling frisky.

I'd rather not drink than have gin ... but that's just me. I would say it's an acquired taste and not one I'd recommend for someone who isn't sure what they like or what kind of cocktail they should order.

:heart:
Z

Quoting Zereh
A traditional martini is gin-based with a drop or two of dry vermouth unless specified otherwise.

I quite agree. I've sent vodka martinis back when I've ordered a martini and the server assumed I met vodka.

If I'm not mistaken, the whole vodka "martini" got started back with the early Bond movies when Smirnoff (sp?) paid for product placement in the movie. In the original Ian Fleming books, Bond drinks a gin martini, stirred, not shaken. So basically, we've been misled by Hollywood for all these years...:ohmy:

1 oz. vanilla vodka
1 oz. chocolate liqueur
1 oz. bailey's irish cream

Just shake ingredients together with ice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom