ALTEZAHEN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
if you ever happen to be in israel and you see a person walking down the street yelling "ALTEZAHEN" fear not.
he is just trying to draw attention of the neighbors who want to sell old appliances and such.

they will answer him from their windows and ask him to come over and see what they want to sell or give for free

edit
this is the car version

What does the word "altezahen" mean? The "alte" part sounds like it would mean old. If that is correct, then what is the "zahen" part?

"Zakhen" זקן does not mean "an old man". It just means "old". The Hebrew for "old man" is "Ish Zakhen". איש זקן

Everyone in Israel who speaks Hebrew knows what "Alte Zakhen" means, even though it is Yiddish.

Where I used to live, twice a year they had "Special Pickup" days. You could put out all your large items, appliances, furniture, that would not normally go into regular garbage days.
Here, in this city, for special pick-ups you have to phone the city in advance, they give you a date for when the truck will come and it can be no more than 4 items. Mattresses must be wrapped in plastic.

Now, now ladies--let's be nice.
However it is said, someone picking up old appliances would be in great demand around these parts!
According to his profile STB is male. I am female and will be 81 years old in a few weeks time. I am also a fluent Hebrew speaker having lived in Israel for nearly 40 years.

One point - these people only take appliances and furniture that can be repaired, and then re-sold. They do not pay for any of the items, and will frequently demand payment for "disposing" of the unwanted item. If you do not pay them, they will not take it.

Back
Top Bottom