Anodized Dishwasher Death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pugman

Assistant Cook
My daughter accidentally put two of my Calphalon anodized aluminum pots in the dishwasher. Now they have a pasty, almost bleached look to the outside rather than the dark gray metal. Is there anyway that I can restore the finish to these pots? They still cook well, but look frightful.

Oh dear!
I'll bump this posting back up to the top - someone should be around shortly for you. (I don't know much about caphalon, except that I wish I had some!)

PS - Welcome to Discuss Cooking, pugman! So nice to have you here!

Welcome to the group.

You might try washing the outside of your pans with
DORMOND soap. It's made by Calphalon. I'm not sure if it
will work but, it's worth a try.

My guess is no.

All my anodized looks like complete crap and for that reason I would not buy it ever again.

I handwashed it for a while (because putting it in the dishwasher voids the warranty) but it started to look dull so I just gave up and put it in the dishwasher after that.

Even though it looks bad it still performs very well.

I washed mine in the dishwasher one time when I had the flu and no one seemed to be able to clean a pot or put a dish up and I didn't have the energy - I thought I had ruined them, they looked lifeless and dull - but through a couple uses they perked back up. Try some comet/Bon Ami/Bartender's Friend/Calphalon cleaner for hard anodized pots and then just use them. Mine are fine now.

Hard Anodized pots and pans are pretty high maintenance - each and every time I use one I clean with Bon Ami/Comet or something mentioned above outside and inside the pot and the handle. Then before I cook if I notice a grease spot not previously removed I clean it again - but I don't mind - I love my hard anodized and they still look almost brand new (the insides have gotten a little silvery looking from boiling salt in water and just from use but it doesn't affect the cooking quality.

Last edited:
Yep, but if it's already oxidized there's nothing you can do - the reason I became so - um - anal about mine was because my ex MIL had a Calphalon pan that she never cleaned properly and it oxidized so badly it took on this opalescence cast/kind of purple - which is ashame because way back then it was a $60.00 pan (about 18 years ago).

I'm having major emotional trouble :ermm: that they aren't making the anodized pots and pans anymore (inside and out).

I simpathize. you can get some overstocks on oldfashioned calphalon from amazon, but they are mostly the one's made in china, not ohio. still it is the old hard anodized not the new infused.

The reason the dishwasher is no place for a good pot or pan is the high alkalai content of the soap, and the pellet action which bombards the dishes with "grit". As hard anodyzed is an acid process, alkalai is it's neutralizer.

I gotta admit I really like good basic cookware: cast iron, real copper/tin lined, real hard anodyzed not that 3 layer clad stuff. I want a heavy pot that will sit firmly, flat on the range.

Last edited:
I have a couple of pieces of anodized aluminum. If you haven't already try using Scotchbrite and Ajax cleanser. Calphalon recommends them both.

The dark gray color is a dye - it may very well have been "bleached" due to the fact that dishwaser detergent is harsher, and at a higher temperature, than the dishwashing liquid you would use to hand wash. If this is the case there's not much you can do about it.

On the other hand - it might be a chemical layer (from minerals in the water, detergent, spot reducing additives) loosely heat bonded to the surface. You might try this (this is the method I use to get rid of grease on the outside of an anodized pan to keep them looking new):

1) Spray the cold dry pan with Murphy's Oil Soap and allow to sit for about a minute - then gently scrub with a ScotchBrite pad. Rinse with tepid water, dry well, and repeat - rise well with hot water the 2nd time.

2) Scrub well, but gently, using Bar Keeper's Friend and a ScotchBrite pad. Rinse well with hot water.

3) Finally - wash well with dishwashing liquid, rinse with hot water, and dry.

OR - and I've never tried this so don't know if it would bleach the dye .... wipe the pan with a paper towel and CLR Cleaner to cut the mineral deposits and rinse in cold water and dry well. Then proceed as above (but only once on the Murphy Oil Soap).

The color is only a dye - it will not affect the cooking qualities.

yes, most calphalon and allclad are now made in china. the allclad coppercore is still made in PA as of this afternoon. :ermm:

One of my calphalon pans has suffered the same fate (in the hands of my husband...) and bar keepers friend did not work - it just seemed to make it worse! It is just a cosmetic blemish though, and makes no difference to how the pan cooks....remember, pans are made for cooking in, not for display LOL!

I will try Michael's Murphy's Oil soap trick though - I've never heard of that one, so it might work.

Occasionally, when I'm sick - or just too tired after a big dinner party to wash fine bone china/crystal/handwash only pans by hand, then I DO put them in the dishwasher - but I use a tiny squirt of ordinary (handwashing) dishwashing liquid rather than dishwasher powder - this works just fine as long as things are rinsed off first and you don't expect it to get off burnt or dried-on foods.....and you don't put too much soap in, or your kitchen will fill up with bubbles!

Paint.

IN a pich, I've also used dishwashing liquid in my dishwasher. The dishes came out clean enough, but I had to wash them a second time, without soap, to rid them of soap residue.

The anodizing process protects agains oxidation (corrosion) and is used extensively in the military and government to protect aluminum parts for the corrosive salt water evinronment of ocean-based vehicles (D.S.R.V., ships, aircraft, etc.). The alkalye enfironment of the dishwasher will not affect the anodizing, just the dye that makes the pot pretty. The pan will still be protected from corrosion, and resist nicks and scratches to the anodized surface, which is made harder by the process. That's what the anodizing is about, protecting the relatively soft aluminum. It doesn't do anything for cosmetic appearance. That's what paints and dyes are for.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Happy Wednesday

I do not have any Calphalon pots and I would think that they should come with washing instructions. I have seen them at Williams Sonoma and they are great looking.

Good luck and I am sure the cooks and chefs on this site will have some ideas for you to make them look like new.

Jill and Jolie

I have had the anodized knockoff Calphalon from Sam's for 6+ years. I have never put it in the dishwasher because it is easy to clean it and put it aside for next use.

Robo410 said:
yes, most calphalon and allclad are now made in china. the allclad coppercore is still made in PA as of this afternoon. :ermm:

So that's why it's so outrageously expensive. :LOL: Actually, I have one coppercore large skillet and am super impressed with it. When I win the lottery, I plan on buying more.

I throw my one Calphalon pan, a huge, teflon coated frying pan, in the dishwasher every once in a while when I get lazy, and the hazy white stuff usually disappears after a few uses and hand washes.

As to using dishwashing liquid in a dishwasher, every time I've seen this done, the person who did it ended up washing their entire kitchen floor and all the throw rugs thereon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom