Are all stews tastier the day after or not all stews are like that?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with the next day crowd. I recently made goulash using pork butt and deliberately made it the day before for 2 reasons. One to let the flavors continue to meld. Second to let the grease float to the top so it could solidify and be picked off easily instead of having to stand there and spoon and spoon and spoon it off. I do the same thing with bolognase. Quite a few recipes in 1 of my Madhur Jaffrey Indian cookbooks recommend making the dish the day before, even 2 or 3 for some of them.
I know its much more work than allowing the fat to solidify, I use a fat separator. I used to use the side pour type but now that I have the Oxo 4 cup squeeze trigger "bottom" pour, it has become easier and much more efficient at removing fat.
You can debunk misunderstandings of facts (salt in beans, potatoes absorbing salt, searing sears in juices)

You can’t debunk an opinion on what tastes good.
Maybe you know this. On Milk Street they made falafel. They soaked the chick peas overnight. But they used I think baking soda instead of salt in the soaking water.
Is it baking soda and salt or just baking soda?
I have it recorded but thought I would ask here. I plan to make falafel.
I think you can debunk an opinion on what tastes good, even to a specific person. Blind taste tests can do that. But, I don't think it's possible with fresh stew vs day old stew, as I wrote in a comment, not far back. We simply don't have a method (for now) that will let you properly taste test day old stew vs fresh stew.
A blind test panel would be a good start and maybe the only way to get a consensus. Like you imply we all are different so a consensus is about the best we could do.
So we do have a method. Its implementing the method that would be difficult.

I know its much more work than allowing the fat to solidify, I use a fat separator. I used to use the side pour type but now that I have the Oxo 4 cup squeeze trigger "bottom" pour, it has become easier and much more efficient at removing fat.

<snip>
I have looked at those. I have been concerned that they might leak or drip a bit. What has been your experience, especially the dripping/leaking aspect, with the bottom empty fat separator?

I had one of those bottom draining fat separators, but it started leaking out of the bottom, and after not too many uses. I returned it, and got another brand, which lasted a little longer, but it also ended up leaking, so I never got another one.

I had one of those bottom draining fat separators, but it started leaking out of the bottom, and after not too many uses. I returned it, and got another brand, which lasted a little longer, but it also ended up leaking, so I never got another one.
To me, they just look like they will start leaking. The idea of getting the stock or whatever out the bottom sounds really appealing. I'm trying to figure out how to jury-rig something that would do that. I find the ones with the spout on the side, but low down, leave more stock behind than I am happy about.

I have looked at those. I have been concerned that they might leak or drip a bit. What has been your experience, especially the dripping/leaking aspect, with the bottom empty fat separator?
I have the OXO. Got it for Christmas. I have used it 3 times. Has not leaked a drop yet. Looking at the mechanism, its well crafted and does not look like it will leak. Its engineered well. I hope it holds up.
It is much much better than the side pour style and is better at getting everything but the fat. Since you can hold it up vertically the chance of fat getting out is reduced.
I will post if I have any issues with it. If I were you I would get one. Not that expensive and a better design.

I have three differnt ones. None has ever leaked.

I honestly couldn't live without one for gravy making. They are useful for sauces, too

I've often considered them but like taxy, have been a little leery. With your good comments I will reconsider. Think perhaps one of the best preventative measures would be keeping it scruptiously clean.

Back
Top Bottom