Are you into the survival thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a person who strongly believes in the innate goodness of people. These past two or three weeks, we have been having some horrendous fires. In the middle of the cold nights, people are finding themselves with their small children standing across the street watching their whole world go up in flames and smoke. The hardest part to swallow was that these fires were all during the late night when the families were sleeping.

Yet before the flames were finally quenched, funds were already being raised to help some of the 30 plus families affected. We are a very caring nation. I wouldn't want it any other way. And for that I always say a silent prayer for the safety and well being of everyone. Including the fire fighters.

I am so glad I live in this country. I know in my heart that should any disaster enter my world, there are friends and total strangers out there who will lend me a hand and help me get back on my "foot." I also know that my family will close ranks and help each other as much as they all can.

Am I prepared for survival? Probably not. But neither are any of my friends. I refuse to be a pessimist. Nor do I want to be around those who are pessimistic. This morning it was zero. Now the temp has climbed up and the sun is shining. What is there to be pessimistic about?

I'm with you on that. Call me naive, but I would rather be a happy, naive optimist, than a miserable pessimist stocking up with canned goods waiting for something bad to happen.

Like I said before, I have a shelter plan for when the tornado sirens sound in the middle of the night. I have flashlights and batteries -- and a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

The way I see it, I could prepare for Armageddon, and get run over by a bus... or here in Texas, "get run over by a damed old train." ;)

CD

I wouldn't necessarily use the word "pessimist" to describe those who are prepared for a disaster. If that's the case, we could say the same thing about those who purchase life insurance, as an example. Unless, of course, they're like my mom was and felt that buying life insurance was as good as signing her own death warrant. But when she died, it was my sister and I who suffered, having to deal with not only funeral arrangements on our dime, but everything else as well because she never wrote a will, either.

Your point is well taken Linda.
There will always be the givers and the takers in this world. I'd call myself a realist rather than a pessimist or optimist. It's lazy and darn right arrogant to expect others to take care of ME.

Very good points, CD, all the way around.

By the way, I've been meaning to mention, since your username is caseydog, that my miniature Dachshunds name is Casey. I don't know if Casey is your name or your dog's name, but just thought I'd mention that :)

I've never heard of a miniature Dachshund. I just learned something new. With a name like that, it is certainly a smart dog, although just a little bit naughty. :LOL:

My sister gave me a poodle for my 50th birthday. Gee, thanks sis. :rolleyes:

He is known on this forum as "psycho-poodle." That's his picture as my avatar.

If a zombie apocalypse happens, I'm going to open the front door and yell "squirrel." I'm thinking zombies aren't very smart, so they won't have any idea how to deal with a psycho-poodle. That should give me enough time to load the guns.:cool:

Don't worry, psycho-poodle will be just fine. My only concern is whether my homeowner's insurance covers zombie apocalypse damage.

CD

Last edited:
Your point is well taken Linda.
There will always be the givers and the takers in this world. I'd call myself a realist rather than a pessimist or optimist. It's lazy and darn right arrogant to expect others to take care of ME.

I wholeheartedly agree :)

I've never heard of a miniature Dachshund. I just learned something new. With a name like that, it is certainly a smart dog, although just a little bit naughty. :LOL:

My sister gave me a poodle for my 50th birthday. Gee, thanks sis. :rolleyes:

He is known on this forum as "psycho-poodle." Thats his picture as my avatar.

If a zombie apocalypse happens, I'm going to open the front door and yell "squirrel." I'm thinking zombies aren't very smart, so they won't have any idea how to deal with a psycho-poodle. That should give me enough time to load the guns.:cool:

Don't worry, psycho-poodle will be just fine. My only concern is whether my homeowner's insurance covers a zombie apocalypse.

CD

"Gee, thanks sis" is exactly what I would say :LOL:

It's funny about your psycho dog because my mom used to have a dog that was a poodle/terrier mix. My gawd that dog was nuts. There was something seriously wrong with him upstairs. His name was Chico and my nickname for him was Psycho.

I wholeheartedly agree :)

"Gee, thanks sis" is exactly what I would say :LOL:

It's funny about your psycho dog because my mom used to have a dog that was a poodle/terrier mix. My gawd that dog was nuts. There was something seriously wrong with him upstairs. His name was Chico and my nickname for him was Psycho.

Teddy, (AKA: Psycho Poodle) is actually a pretty good dog. Smart! He understands an amazing number of words. His favorite word being, "Squirrel." :LOL:

CD

Teddy, (AKA: Psycho Poodle) is actually a pretty good dog. Smart! He understands an amazing number of words. His favorite word being, "Squirrel." :LOL:

CD

Casey is like that too. If I'm fixing their food, but it's not ready yet, all I have to do is say "It's not ready yet" and he'll leave the room for a couple of minutes. He'll also get up and leave the room if I start sneezing. Sneezing freaks him out. It's not actually speaking words, but it's a sound he doesn't like.

Also, if I say "Get the kitty", he'll go attack my cat :LOL:

And he can be sound asleep and all I have to do is say "You hungry?" or "You want something to eat?" and he goes bananas.

I'm starting to get confused as to which Casey acts like which. I have to keep looking back to reference who posted it...

Just watched a doco about the fault line by L.A. If the big one comes it's going to be massive loss of lives.

Russ

Just watched a doco about the fault line by L.A. If the big one comes it's going to be massive loss of lives.

Russ

Well, you sure know about massive earthquakes too Russ, although you don't have the population we do. I've lived with the knowledge of "the big one" all my life and although it's a sobering thought I've bloomed in this beautiful place up the coast from Los Angeles where I was planted. This part of the state has had two serious earthquakes in my lifetime, the first in 1971 and the last in 1994, neither impacted me or mine. There have been far more impactful disasters with fire and flood in California.

Russ

I invested in some land about 20 miles from the California coast. I got it cheap. I figure some day it will be oceanfront property. That's my retirement plan. :cool:

CD

One thing missing from my survival thinking. Where to put whatever survival stuff I have if I have to leave in a hurry. I'm going to buy a duffel bag maybe. Army surplus store. Just to have on hand. To load all my stuff into. If it gets that serious.

In other words, I have a small propane stove, water jar with filters, some canned goods. Flashlight, batteriers etc.

Only...I never thought where to gather those things into something if the time were to get up and go.

Hehe, pickup bed...car back seat...toss it all in. Drive!

Last edited:
That's called a Bug Out Bag, Cas. You can look up a lot of prepper info on what folks put in them.

It's a good idea for most people to have one.

One thing missing from my survival thinking. Where to put whatever survival stuff I have if I have to leave in a hurry. I'm going to buy a duffel bag maybe. Army surplus store. Just to have on hand. To load all my stuff into. If it gets that serious.

In other words, I have a small propane stove, water jar with filters, some canned goods. Flashlight, batteriers etc.

Only...I never thought where to gather those things into something if the time were to get up and go.

Hehe, pickup bed...car back seat...toss it all in. Drive!

That's called a Bug Out Bag, Cas. You can look up a lot of prepper info on what folks put in them.

It's a good idea for most people to have one.

Excellent point on what to do if you have to leave your home and grab stuff in a hurry and a thank you to Bucky for providing an answer.

I'm going to look into that.

Back
Top Bottom