Are you into the survival thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although we live in a designated "fire zone" the chance of our entire neighborhood going up in flames is almost none, IMO. I think we have a better chance of getting hit with a major earthquake. For that, we have water, some food, and camping gear stored out in the 10'x12' shed which can be used as a makeshift shelter if the house becomes inhabitable.

Although we live in a designated "fire zone" the chance of our entire neighborhood going up in flames is almost none, IMO. I think we have a better chance of getting hit with a major earthquake. For that, we have water, some food, and camping gear stored out in the 10'x12' shed which can be used as a makeshift shelter if the house becomes inhabitable.

Lol, you mean un-inhabitable? That's one of those words that's a gotcha.

I became all too aware of the terror of fire evacuation during the Thomas fire here. Thankfully we remained safe but were told to be ready to get out within a ten minute time frame. Geeze what a thought. So many people lost their homes during those terrible days in this area.

I live in Ohio and not much really happens around here, except for the occasional tornado warning, which rarely ever produces anything significant. That's really the biggest disaster I can think of happening in these parts, so I don't have a large fear of ever having to evacuate (unless the house catches fire or we have a gas leak, in which case we're probably not going to have any time to grab extra items anyway) so I guess you could say I'm only 'minimally' prepared. I've got extra food stored, a couple sheets of bottled water, a couple of food kits with the 25-year shelf life edibles, flashlights, matches, batteries and transistor radios, a camp stove, a manual can opener, plenty of blankets if we lose power during a winter storm, that sort of thing. I even have 2 large packages of adult body wipes to keep clean in the event we have no water.

If some weird disaster were to hit that would force my son and I to stay homebound for several days to a week or longer, we've got enough to survive on for that length of time.

Last edited:
I live in Ohio and not much really happens around here, except for the occasional tornado warning, which rarely ever produces anything significant. That's really the biggest disaster I can think of happening in these parts, so I don't have a large fear of ever having to evacuate (unless the house catches fire or we have a gas leak, in which case we're probably not going to have any time to grab extra items anyway) so I guess you could say I'm only 'minimally' prepared. I've got extra food stored, a couple sheets of bottled water, a couple of food kits with the 25-year shelf life edibles, flashlights, matches, batteries and transistor radios, a camp stove, a manual can opener, plenty of blankets if we lose power during a winter storm, that sort of thing. I even have 2 large packages of adult body wipes to keep clean in the event we have no water.

If some weird disaster were to hit that would force my son and I to stay homebound for several days to a week or longer, we've got enough to survive on for that length of time.

Did you not have any damage with this storm?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2012_North_American_derecho

This was the first major storm I endured after Rich had died. We experienced many power outages so I was capable of dragging out the generator and doing everything that needed to be done during a natural disaster. I was without power for 4 days, but parts of West Virginia were without power for 3 weeks because of the trees felled in the hilly forests. My next door neighbor went out on horseback to find the downed power lines which help the electric company get our power restored earlier than if he hadn't scouted out the trouble areas. When I moved to New Mexico I couldn't imagine life without a generator and brought it with me. Haven't had to use it once:huh:.

Did you not have any damage with this storm?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2012_North_American_derecho

This was the first major storm I endured after Rich had died. We experienced many power outages so I was capable of dragging out the generator and doing everything that needed to be done during a natural disaster. I was without power for 4 days, but parts of West Virginia were without power for 3 weeks because of the trees felled in the hilly forests. My next door neighbor went out on horseback to find the downed power lines which help the electric company get our power restored earlier than if he hadn't scouted out the trouble areas. When I moved to New Mexico I couldn't imagine life without a generator and brought it with me. Haven't had to use it once:huh:.

Oh my gosh, I'll never forget it. And where I live, it hit suddenly. It was weird because the power went out about 10 seconds before the actual storm came through. My son and I were like what the heck? Did somebody hit a power line? I mean, there was absolutely nothing going on outside except dark skies. And then, suddenly, there it was, like it was dropped on top of us, the rain and the high winds. It sounded like the house was coming apart and looking at what was going on outside was downright scary. Our power was out for about 3 days, but, thankfully, we didn't sustain any major damage to the house or surrounding area.

I've seen a lot of storms in my life, but never anything quite like that one.

Most military or outdoorsy folks call them BOBs, or Bug Out Bags.

"Go Bags" are for short term evacuation. Or the first to go, on a few levels.

I am very well stocked - food, clothing, shelter, protection, water. All portable and waterproof. I also have a comprehensive camping equipment kit. It all fits in the pickup and easy to load when needed. Generator and diesel, batteries. And the Foxfire books.

I forgot to mention, I also have a months worth of medications packed away and rotate them out twice a year.

Last edited:
That's something I didn't think about -- my meds. Apparently the voices didn't think about them, either.

CD

If you ask your doctor they can prescribe an extra month of meds for emergencies. Or pay out of pocket for a months worth, that's what I did.

Wow, what a good point PF. I take 7 prescription meds daily and I'd be in a world of trouble without them

It is noted in some situations pharmacies are hit first when disaster strikes. Having a month or more supply should keep you on your maintenance meds until things are righted. My pharmacy is ten miles away, if I was unable to get there for any reason, I still have back up.

I also keep my last old pair of glasses in my kit and Shrek's old CPAP.

Last edited:
I get 90 day supplies of the med I take (for having such a special heart...:cool:), and they always refill me a month early, so I'm good to go.

I also have to take a pill sometimes for a rare disease; the opposite of ADHD: Lack of caring about small stuff with extra focusing abilities / anti-lazy dumbass disorder. It gets me in trouble at times. :)

I have to personally stock my own cootie spray, though.

I get 90 day supplies of the med I take (for having such a special heart...:cool:), and they always refill me a month early, so I'm good to go.

I also have to take a pill sometimes for a rare disease; the opposite of ADHD: Lack of caring about small stuff with extra focusing abilities / anti-lazy dumbass disorder. It gets me in trouble at times. :)

I have to personally stock my own cootie spray, though.

My rabies shot is only once a year, and my heart-worm medicine is only once a month, but I probably should have a back-up supply of my blood pressure meds -- or find a new career.

CD

Back
Top Bottom