Baking: Mixing dry ingredients ahead of time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovin

Senior Cook
I have wondered about this for some time. I'm going to be making a Brownie pudding (cake and sauce) for a get-together this evening, but I'm going to be really busy and running here and there. I want to know if you mix the dry ingredients for a cake or similar recipes and let them sit does it hurt the action later when making the dessert?

I'm referring to flours, baking sodas and baking powder ingredients mainly. I just don't know if it would turn out the same if they are together for hours ahead of time before mixing the recipe to put in the oven.

I bow to you experts. Thank you for your feedback.
Jovin

Last edited by a moderator:
You can combine the dry ingredients ahead of time. Also the wet ingredients separately (refrigerate after combining). Then all you have to do is combine, mix and bake.

If this is something you make regularly, you can even make up extra dry mixes to have on hand. I do this often with the dry base for scones or pancakes. As a rule of thumb I figure the mix is fresh for as long as the expiration date for the baking powder/leavening agent hasn't passed. Past that date you risk a flatter finished product.

Thank you for that info...

Good idea!

If this is something you make regularly, you can even make up extra dry mixes to have on hand. I do this often with the dry base for scones or pancakes. As a rule of thumb I figure the mix is fresh for as long as the expiration date for the baking powder/leavening agent hasn't passed. Past that date you risk a flatter finished product.

I hope I didn't mess up.....

I truly thought I had replied to your post and if I had overlooked it, I'm so sorry. I appreciate all the feedback that this board gives.

Thank you so much.

I do that all the time. Just think of a box of cake mix or brownie mix. Same idea. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom