Burgers...How Do YOU Cook em?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
ok folks...its too cold to grill here, and craving some hamburgers. How do you guys cook em if ya cant toss em of the grill??

-pan fry?

-bake / broil?

- combo of both the above?

looking forward to your ideas / methods!! :)

I use my electric griddle. It has a crevise for the grease to run off into a little pan that it is under it.

I do them on the George Foreman or the electric skillet. I use lean ground chuck, so there isn't much grease.
If you use the skillet, preheat to 350, sprinkle salt in the bottom first. Put in the hamburger patties, sprinkle with S&P, and do not turn until bottom is browned. Once you turn them over, S&P the other side, turn heat down a little, and cover loosely with lid. When you press them and the juices run clear, remove from skillet onto paper towels. Top each burger with a slice of Velveeta and cover with the skillet lid for a few minutes until cheese melts.

Constance said:
I do them on the George Foreman . . . .

Ditto. Due to the structure and purpose of the grill, I'm not so picky as to how lean the meat is. I don't usually go lower then 85/15. I've found the leaner stuff (we can get 96/4) sticks more to the grilling surface, especially the top. 93/7 is a decent cook, IMHO, but I like the flavor the more fat adds. Granted you have to empty the drip pan a time or two, but yummy! :chef:

Usually pan fry. Got to get us one of those George Foreman grills one of these days.

We always make out own ground beef however. It is easy to do and we feel safe making the burgers rare, as we like them.

I pan fry on them both sides until almost cooked to our liking, then topped w/ cheese (or sometimes sauce) and put under the broiler for 2 mintues.

Too cold to grill? what? that's not even a possibility.

Attachments

• snowgrill.jpg
    snowgrill.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 224
Mix worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and other of your favorite spices with the ground beef (90% to 85% fat ground beef or ground sirloin). I use half teaspoon of each of the spices per 1 lb. of ground beef. Let it soak up the flavors for 15-20 minutes. Form the burger patties. Simply heat a skillet on medium-high heat, spray with non-stick spray, toss the burgers and cook to your liking. I usually cook mine well for the kids. Serve with sauteed onions, lettuce, tomato, pickles, or coleslaw, etc.

Watched a "How to Boil Water" episode on the Food channel, and the recommendation was to pan fry in a cast iron skillet, browning each side for about 2-3 minutes, then, stick the whole lot in the oven and finish off, baking at about 400 for a few minutes. This worked really well - you'd have to adjust the temperatures and times depending on how you made the burgers. Sandyj

very cool mr dove!!!! doing it in style too, with the v neck, slacks, and soul patch. :cool:

i remember going skiing once, and having a buddy make the hotel reservations (big mistake). i told him to get a room where we could set up a small grill on a patio or deck to cook a few dinners to save money. ski mountain food is notoriously expensive, and/or notoriously bad. so when we checked in, not only was there no deck, but the only window we had was snowed in under about 15 feet. to top it off, my buddy never asked the front desk if it was ok to grill on their property, so they strenuously oblected to us brining it in to our room. late that night, we snuck the grill in, dressing as pregnant women. lol - i guess the night clerk wasn't too bright. we proceeded to dig out a snow cave through our window, getting rid of the snow in the bathtub a la "the gret escape", and arranging a chimney system to keep our cave from collapsing. we spent a couple of happy evenings grilling 'till our hearts content.

to get back on the thread, i agree that's it's almost never too cold, or too dark to grill outside. but when time or effort are short, i use my george foreman for boiguhs.

I pan fry on them both sides until almost cooked to our liking, then topped w/ cheese (or sometimes sauce) and put under the broiler for 2 mintues.

that is what i ended up doing, and it was fantastic!! :chef:

one lesson i have leared though, i NEVER use that pre-packaged ground beef at the store...always find a nice looking chuck steak and give that a medium grind (either yourself or have the butcher do it!.

much better quality and flavor IMO.

thanks for all the input guyz!

Yes, Sandy is right as well. I usually cook my sirloin steak on a skillet with a touch of olive oil then finish it off in the broiler for another 5-6 minutes. I just know that worchestershire sauce is the kick to any burger! Give it a try.

Mr_Dove said:
Too cold to grill? what? that's not even a possibility.

Dove, you Da Man. I just grilled a couple of (buffalo) burgers Thursday night, along with a couple of skewers full of shrimp. As long as there's not an active blizzard going on, I'm grilling away. I haven't used my wood smoker in a couple of months, though; the air temperature is too cool for the thing to retain much heat.

I have a George Foreman grill too--one of those little apartment-sized ones-- that I got years ago. It's still the best (indoor) thing for grilling anything that's more-or-less flat.

Mugsy, what I like to do, after I've seasoned with salt & pepper & whatnot, is make a few small "dents" in the top of the raw burgers (not deep enough to make holes in them). I'll use a teaspoon to drizzle a few drops of bourbon into the little craters, and then toss them on the GF grill. Since there's no need to flip them, the booze just gradually vaporizes as they cook. MMMM! :bounce:

Cheese presents a problem, though. I just put the cheese on the burger when it's hot off the grill, and hope it melts!

And no, I've never had any issues with my burgers spontaneously combusting.

--J

Indoor frying is fine..

I heard, a few years ago, that the burger that won the blue ribbion, was fried, not grilled. But, I always grill. And, I don't like really lean beef. I use a 70-30 blend and let the fat hit the flames to create a lot of smoke.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom