Can't find puree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you talking about tomato puree? Depending on the recipe, you can often use tomato sauce. Or take a can of tomatoes and run it throught the blender or food processor. Notice - I said depending on the recipe. What are you trying to make?

"A purée is cooked food, usually vegetables, fruits or legumes, that has been ground, pressed, blended or sieved to the consistency of a creamy paste"

Passata is sometimes called tomato puree. It can usually be substituted for canned/cooked tomato. But, it has had the seeds and skins strained out, so for someone like me, who avoids tomato seeds, it makes a difference.

I just remembered something. I believe the terms tomato paste and tomato puree are different from North American definitions of those terms in the UK. So, it could depend on where the recipe is from.

My mother used tomato puree to make her spaghetti sauce. I use her same recipe, but I use crushed tomatoes in puree instead. I think it gives the sauce more character.

Are you talking about tomato puree? Depending on the recipe, you can often use tomato sauce. Or take a can of tomatoes and run it throught the blender or food processor. Notice - I said depending on the recipe. What are you trying to make?
Its a butter chicken recipe

The butter chicken recipe use calls for whole tomatoes chopped up.
Which butter chicken recipe? I just read about 8 of them and only one called for whole tomatoes chopped up. On the other hand, there were recipes that used pasata or tomato paste or crushed tomatoes. I don't see any need for tomato puree if it is hard to find.

@georgevan, maybe find a recipe for butter chicken that only has ingredients that you can find. Maybe someone here has one to share with you, if you are interested.

We use this butter chicken recipe that was linked by a former member and really like it. Puree is used in it.

Puree and passata are both going to be found with the canned tomato products in the grocery. Passata is found in glass jars, at least in my experience, and puree is found in small cans.

I finally found it.
1574100292008.jpeg

Which butter chicken recipe? I just read about 8 of them and only one called for whole tomatoes chopped up. On the other hand, there were recipes that used pasata or tomato paste or crushed tomatoes. I don't see any need for tomato puree if it is hard to find.

@georgevan, maybe find a recipe for butter chicken that only has ingredients that you can find. Maybe someone here has one to share with you, if you are interested.
You won't find it online unless it's posted here. My next door neighbor (from India) taught me how to make it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom