Catered parties questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No wonder people don't socialize all that much any more. I think if you have a deathly allergy, then it is your own responsibility to say something when you get an invitation. We are talking grown-ups here, aren't we? A professional should ask these questions up front, then take the answers at face value (maybe in your contract?). I'm rather tired of being told by society that I shouldn't eat or cook this or that because there's a possibility someone may be allergic to it. I am not a professional, I'm saying that up front. I did once have a guest who arrived THEN let me know he was very allergic to nuts. He was a relative of a regular guest, and I was peeved that someone should have let me know that BEFORE I started cooking. As it was, it went well, I just had to stop and really think ... did I even have any peanut oil in the kitchen (no). Had I added nuts to the desert (no). Had his sibling told me he was allergic, I'd have this done in advance. I have a freind who I only see every year or two, and I can never remember if her allergy is to nuts or shellfish. But I know it is one or the other, so I ask her every time I cook. But SHE is a big girl, and takes responsibility for her own health. I think professionals should consider putting it in their contract ... a simple question: Do any of the people attending this party have any food restrictions I should know about?

marmalady said:
Icy - I'm curious as to how you're going to make all these, store them and transport to the reception hall; the food sounds lovely, but it also sounds a bit perishable - I can see the crackers getting soggy if they sit too long after cooking - is there an oven at the hall? Can you cook the chicken/shrimp roll-ups at the hall? This a LOT of prep work - how much help do you have?

Not only is there a stove, oven, and huge refrigerator, we are taking a toaster oven and microwave oven with us. I am also taking a very large warmer, several crockpots, and several steno...whatchamacallits to help keep food warm.

Thank goodness for taste testing. My sister tried the 3 appetizers again last night after they had sat in the frig since Sunday and after reheating them found that the bacon recipe ended up being extremely greasy so that one is out. The shrimp appy is also out because the celery and onion overpowered the shrimp and my sis said it tasted awful. The chicken was good hot, warm & cold, and even right from the frig, so it is still going to be made. :) I have 40 lbs of chicken that I am planning on cooking and once it is gone, too bad, so sad. I refuse to clean any more than that. We are going to have sooooo many appys that I doubt once they are gone, anybody will still be hungry.

Icy, I'm sorry your recilpes didn't turn out. When I saw you were going to do those, I had serious doubts about their 'keepability'. There are scores of appy recipes adapted for catering events, where the key component is how they'll keep. If you have time, I'd suggest you go to the libray and check out some catering books, to maybe get some last minute ideas.

One that I can think of that's very simple (think I mentioned it before) are mini-ham biscuits. You can use whatever biscuit recipe you like, make them small - about 2 inches - buy some ham at the deli, make a spread of butter/mustard, and spread on the biscuits.

Back
Top Bottom