Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW, the girls are fine in my absence. I worry about them...
And so you should. I was planning a midnight raid for chicken pot pies. But someone squealed on me. Said they would be there with the shotgun. I didn't like the sound of that at all. :ohmy:

And so you should. I was planning a midnight raid for chicken pot pies. But someone squealed on me. Said they would be there with the shotgun. I didn't like the sound of that at all. :ohmy:
:D:LOL::LOL:I did dream about them last night...Harriet and Myrtle's feathers changed color--they looked like they had peacock feathers!:LOL:

Gosh-darn, what have the girls been doing? Well, Silly Millie is laying her eggs in the barn loft---I have to assume a yoga position for which I don't know the name to collect her daily offering--cluck-cluck-purr...she's so proud of that egg and helps me find it--she doesn't know I go inside and apply a heating pad to that spot...Scarlett is looking, well, a bit abused--she's molting. Cocky Rocky is not doing his job when it comes to mice, but once I stop feeding the chickens, maybe the mice will move out--the grass is coming back, and they can go outside, take dirt baths, eat grass, etc., and really aren't happy when I "force" them back in the barn at 5:00 p.m. I am worried that the hawks might be out hunting--one almost hit the windshield of the car the other day--so far, the "loss" rate for chickens (purchased 17, still have 16) is, I think pretty good for a first-time chicken keeper (pat-pat-pat is the sound of me patting myself on the back for not killing them or poisoning them by feeding them something they shouldn't eat). I am having a debate with myself about ordering more or to get a couple of ducks....or a dairy cow/goat....I love it that they still come running when I go out to check on them...They are so funny. Maybe I should just hold steady and not add any more livestock...

Last edited:
Gosh-darn, what have the girls been doing? Well, Silly Millie is laying her eggs in the barn loft---I have to assume a yoga position for which I don't know the name to collect her daily offering--cluck-cluck-purr...she's so proud of that egg and helps me find it--she doesn't know I go inside and apply a heating pad to that spot...Scarlett is looking, well, a bit abused--she's molting. Cocky Rocky is not doing his job when it comes to mice, but once I stop feeding the chickens, maybe the mice will move out--the grass is coming back, and they can go outside, take dirt baths, eat grass, etc., and really aren't happy when I "force" them back in the barn at 5:00 p.m. I am worried that the hawks might be out hunting--one almost hit the windshield of the car the other day--so far, the "loss" rate for chickens (purchased 17, still have 16) is, I think pretty good for a first-time chicken keeper (pat-pat-pat is the sound of me patting myself on the back for not killing them or poisoning them by feeding them something they shouldn't eat). I am having a debate with myself about ordering more or to get a couple of ducks....or a dairy cow/goat....I love it that they still come running when I go out to check on them...They are so funny. Maybe I should just hold steady and not add any more livestock...

If you rally want some enjoyment let one of the girls hatch a clutch. The only thing is if one of the babies turns out to be a boy, you are going to have to make a tough decision. You just can't have two Kings of the Roost struting around the barnyard. One will have to go into the pot. :ohmy:

Yea!!!! This poor thread has been languishing and I needs me some chicken stories! Babies, you need babies...

Definitely more babies. Then you can watch them grow. and watch the other chickens try to mother them. Let a clutch develop in the barn. They will be safe there from those dang hawks. Just not up in the loft. then therewill be the problem of how the mother hen is going to bring them down. :angel:

Definitely more babies. Then you can watch them grow. and watch the other chickens try to mother them. Let a clutch develop in the barn. They will be safe there from those dang hawks. Just not up in the loft. then therewill be the problem of how the mother hen is going to bring them down. :angel:

We have huge black crows...worry about Patron when I take him outside at work.

I would just carry the chicks down in a bucket...:rolleyes:

We have huge black crows...worry about Patron when I take him outside at work.

I would just carry the chicks down in a bucket...:rolleyes:

I am probably wrong, but I'm under the impression that crows prefer carrion. Do they eat fresh meat also? I have always put them in the class with buzzards. :huh:

I am probably wrong, but I'm under the impression that crows prefer carrion. Do they eat fresh meat also? I have always put them in the class with buzzards. :huh:

Dunno, not a chance I want to take with Patron. Since he thinks he's a Great Dane...he may goad them into making a grab for him.

How big is Patron? I would keep Patron on a leash when you take him outside. :ermm:

He might weigh 2 pounds...soaking wet. We go out to a fenced area so he can run off steam from hanging out in the office.

Attachments

• Auntie E.jpg
    Auntie E.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 148
He might weigh 2 pounds...soaking wet. We go out to a fenced area so he can run off steam from hanging out in the office.

No wonder you are worried about crows and hawks. Is he a full grown Great Dane like he think he is? The patients must just love him. I do and that is just a picture. I wish I could hold Teddy Bear. But he doesn't like it. Not even as a puppy.

Teddy Bear thinks he is on the force against wheels. Baby carriages, cars, bikes, etc. It is his job to rid the world of wheels. I keep telling him he is not a full grown standard poodle. He is just a little full grown maltese. All of ten pounds. Less when he get clipped. He doesn't listen. Just like a kid. :)

No wonder you are worried about crows and hawks. Is he a full grown Great Dane like he think he is? The patients must just love him. I do and that is just a picture. I wish I could hold Teddy Bear. But he doesn't like it. Not even as a puppy.

Teddy Bear thinks he is on the force against wheels. Baby carriages, cars, bikes, etc. It is his job to rid the world of wheels. I keep telling him he is not a full grown standard poodle. He is just a little full grown maltese. All of ten pounds. Less when he get clipped. He doesn't listen. Just like a kid. :)

He's a full grown Chihuahua:LOL: No chance of him getting bigger at this point, he is not a Teacup variety, either. Just the runt of the litter.

He's a full grown Chihuahua:LOL: No chance of him getting bigger at this point, he is not a Teacup variety, either. Just the runt of the litter.

He is absolutely adorable. Last month when I was so sick with the Norovirus Teddy Bear came in the house, jumped up on my bed and layed down beside me. He knew I was so sick. Normaly he wants a back scratch and for me to give him treats. He did this for two days. Then the next day I was still in bed, but feeling much better. I was weak and just laying down. Somehow he knew it and wanted his back scratch and treats. That is when I knew I was going to be all right. Even though I didn't feel it at that moment. Animals know.

The term is "Dwee"!:) My little pug girl, Pandora, is very Dwee! She commands lots and lots of attention!;)

I heard some guy on the radio, a "virtual reality pioneer," probably a big name but I didn't catch it, who described chickens as "servo-controlled feathery devices." :ermm::LOL:

Watching little wood duck chicks dive out of a hole way up in a tree and bounce around on the ground makes me think the little fluffball chicken chicks would probably be fine. But it's easy for me to say - no consequences for me if they should crash-land.

The weather has been unseasonably warm this week. The girls and Cocky Rocky have been racing for the door every morning. Today they got a special treat--the rototiller came out for a bit. They were racing behind it to snatch the worms that were turned up.

Attachments

• tilling 008.jpg
    tilling 008.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 137
  • tilling 009.jpg
    tilling 009.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 149

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom