Chili pepper paste or sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Green mangoes are delicious---- but not sweet. More for savory dishes than sweet ones. Here is an easy version of a salad that's very common.

Thai Green Mango Salad (Som Tum Mamuang) Recipe | SAVEUR

Here's another one:

Salad - Thai Green Mango Salad Recipe

The times I've made it I wasn't always 'picky'---- for instance didn't look for the Thai red peppers but used Jalapeno's or ???
I also left out the string beans. But it's one of those salads that can have different ingredients.

Fish sauce is one ingredient that can't be left out. If you haven't cooked with fish sauce before---- do NOT sniff it in the bottle! It might turn you off. But used in cooking it's marvelous and just can't be replaced.

I have a trusted bottle of fish sauce, love it.

How green should the mango be? I bought one tonight that is very firm, but tuning red on one side. I usually get one a week and let it sit until it gets soft but not mushy. I would eat one every day if I could get away with it.:pig:

Could you eat the green mango by itself? Bitter or sour? I know, lots of questions but, I don't want to waste a mango.

I better check my fish sauce for shrimp...since I've developed an allergy to it. But, I have several different soy sauces to work with if I can't use the fish sauce (man, that will make me sad)

Last edited:
I think most fish sauce is made from anchovies. Mine are. Hopefully the label will tell you.

In Thai restaurants here in the Twin Cities, "Thai hot" is the phrase you must use to getting scorchingly spicy food. Simply using the word "hot" alone gets you a dish that's warm by Minnesota standards, but won't blow your head off and send you racing to the restroom with hanky in hand.

When I was in my twenties, I used to punish myself with food that was almost unbearable to eat. Back then it seemed like a competition among my friends and I to see who could endure the most pain. These days I still like spicy food, but I've toned it down to the point where I can actually taste (and enjoy) what I'm eating.

Could you eat the green mango by itself? Bitter or sour?

I've never eaten a green mango that's not in the salad---- but Wiki sez:
" In Central America, mango is either eaten green mixed with salt, vinegar, black pepper and hot sauce"

"may be eaten raw with salt, chili, or soy sauce."

I think they're more sour than bitter.

I've always used a completely green mango in the salad---- but some recipes say that if it's turning a little orange/reddish and is still hard it's o.k.

I tried substituting anchovies/soy sauce etc for fish sauce ---- not the same.
I'm pretty sure that fish sauce doesn't have shrimp----- but, as said, check the label.

In Thai restaurants here in the Twin Cities, "Thai hot" is the phrase you must use to getting scorchingly spicy food. Simply using the word "hot" alone gets you a dish that's warm by Minnesota standards, but won't blow your head off and send you racing to the restroom with hanky in hand.

Same here and same in Indian restaurants. I like to order medium and add extra sauce myself because I find the level of heat is inconsistent depending on the cook.

I've never eaten a green mango that's not in the salad---- but Wiki sez:
" In Central America, mango is either eaten green mixed with salt, vinegar, black pepper and hot sauce"

"may be eaten raw with salt, chili, or soy sauce."

I think they're more sour than bitter.

I've always used a completely green mango in the salad---- but some recipes say that if it's turning a little orange/reddish and is still hard it's o.k.

I tried substituting anchovies/soy sauce etc for fish sauce ---- not the same.
I'm pretty sure that fish sauce doesn't have shrimp----- but, as said, check the label.

Thanks! I will cut into it tomorrow. It won't go to waste if it's sour and eating it with soy sauce is right up my alley.

I have to dig the fish sauce out and check the label.

Thanks! I will cut into it tomorrow. It won't go to waste if it's sour and eating it with soy sauce is right up my alley.

I have to dig the fish sauce out and check the label.
If it is Squid Brand Fish Sauce, then the listed ingredients are, anchovy extract, salt, sugar.

If it is Squid Brand Fish Sauce, then the listed ingredients are, anchovy extract, salt, sugar.

I think PF's fish sauce is a brand I've not heard of, she referred to it in another post a while ago. Red Boat states it's made of anchovies and salt, is gluten free, and contains no shellfish. It's also 62% of your daily sodium, yikes! Truphil states fish extract, water, salt, and sodium benzoate, no mention of shellfish, and only 15% of daily sodium intake.

Last edited:
I don;t know the brand off hand, it was sent to me by a friend and he got it in an Asian market. I'm too tired to dig it out of the fridge to check right now.

The cause of my caution, from Wiki: Most fish sauces (extracts) are made from raw fish, some from dried fish; most from only a single species, others from whatever is dredged up in the net, including some shellfish; most from whole fish, a few from only the blood or viscera.

Until I pin down the allergy, I have to be careful.

PF said (and it's a good idea):

"Until I pin down the allergy, I have to be careful"

Look at this brand:

Frequently Asked Questions About Red Boat Fish Sauce First Press Extra Virgin

I'm not making a recommendation but it's supported by a group called The Feingold Assoc. who SEEM to be honest. But I'm way too jaded and experienced to believe everything I read! :ermm:

Just a thought.

I personally don't like Red Boat that much because its too mild for my taste. But a lot of people prefer it for that reason.

Plus I hate their extra virgin, first press schtick analogy to olive oil.

And then there's this, which is misleading and preposterous: "Are other fish sauce brands labeled “Phu Quoc” authentic? Look at the label carefully. If the product does not say “Made in Phu Quoc” or “Product of Vietnam” it is likely not authentic. Many knock-offs are made or processed in Thailand or Hong Kong."

But a lot of manufacturers of fermented products (soy sauce, gojuchang, etc) add bacteria to speed up the fermentation process. Red Boat doesn't, which may account for why it's so expensive.

Back
Top Bottom