Countdown!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As much as I love it, SO has developed an allergy as an adult. We found that out one year at the Maine Lobster Festival about 3.5 hours from home. Scary times.

Holy cow Andy! That would scare the stuffing out of you. Don't leave home without the Benadryl and epipen now!

12 sleeps! I'm all done everything except two small items and the work stuff. Ahhhhh! Now I can get focused on the fun bits - BAKING! I have the rest of this rotation to get through then I can start baking like a wild woman. I have to be careful how far in advance I bake. I've already made two batches of nuts n bolts because we inhaled the first batch like we hadn't seen food in years!

I'm planning out my Christmas dinner. Bugs wants to help this year so she is going to make one of our desserts. I know it will surprise you all to learn she is considering something lemony! :LOL:

Christmas dinner will be a little different for us this year. I have to share my daughters' time with their mother on Christmas day. As a result, instead of a big sit-down dinner, we will be having a buffet-style meal with a variety of appetizers and a couple of desserts. Each of us is contributing a couple of dishes.

Somebunny, thanks for the great tips.

Addie, PF, Alix, I still enjoy lobster after all these years. Never had it as a child growing up and I was very disappointed as a teen when I had my first one and saw how little you get from one.

As much as I love it, SO has developed an allergy as an adult. We found that out one year at the Maine Lobster Festival about 3.5 hours from home. Scary times.

Andy, as a kid, after a Nor'easter, we would go down to Short Beach in the Beachmont section of Revere and pick them up on the beach. Take about five of them home and we had supper. So by adulthood, I was lobstered out. My second husband was a commercial fisherman. He used to bring them home from every trip. They were considered trash fish and would damage their catch if they put them down in the hold. So they would divide them up between the crew. the ones that weren't taken they would sell to James Hook Company for shack money. You do get very little from them Did you know that lobsters are right or left handed? The big claw determines it.

I can sympathize with your SO and her allergy. I am assuming that you were attending the festival in Rockport, Maine. That is really far up into Maine. I developed an allergy to scallops. And they are my all time favorite shellfish. So I have to be very careful when I now eat any shellfish. I can taste the iodine the second I put it in my mouth and have to spit it out immediately. Makes for some interesting moments when I am eating them out in public. Right now I have a large Haddock filet thawing out. My favorite fish. Don't you just luv being a New Englander! We are the envy of so many across this country. :angel:

11 more sleeps!!! Whee! Last evening of work for the week, switching to days tomorrow. We have a holiday party tomorrow that I'm soooo looking forward to. Things are looking Christmassy around here, we've had fresh snow the last few days. Not a big dump of snow, just enough to make things look fresh.

Okay, I can breathe, the last of my orders got here. Now it's all over except for the day...still can't decide what to cook.

Okay, I can breathe, the last of my orders got here. Now it's all over except for the day...still can't decide what to cook.

Sit back, put yoru feet up and let Shrek do the cooking. Tonight I asked Spike to pick me up a small loaf of Wonder bread. How silly of me. He had to remind me "No more Wonder bread." What I liked about the small Wonder was that there are were less than ten slices in the loaf. That was if I only used two slices and the rest went moldy, no big loss. :angel:

Although this countdown is to Christmas, mine is to the 18th. The day of my surgery. Then I willl start to countdown to the 23rd. That is when I have to bake all those cookies for my daughter's party. :angel:

Eek! Solstice party on the 21st. I have to buy four more Ikea chairs and assemble all eight. Gotta buy some more wine glasses. The darned things break when you use them all the time. Gotta clean the house. Gotta bake some sponge cake for the trifle. Okay, breathe, breathe.

Taxlady, I feel you pain......our holiday party is tonight. I have a full day of prep ahead of me. Don't worry, you will get it all done and so will I. I'm pulling for you :). BTW, which chairs are you getting from Ikea? I think I could use some spares for the future. Oh and wine glasses, yes they do break don't they? Why not pick some up at Ikea when you get the additional chairs (Not fancy, but perfectly serviceable). They usually have them for a buck or so during this season and heck for that price you can throw them in the fireplace ;-).

Last edited:
Taxlady, I feel you pain......our holiday party is tonight. I have a full day of prep ahead of me. Don't worry, you will get it all done and so will I. I'm pulling for you :). BTW, which chairs are you getting from Ikea? I think I could use some spares for the future. Oh and wine glasses, yes they do break don't they? Why not pick some up at Ikea when you get the additional chairs (Not fancy, but perfectly serviceable). They usually have them for a buck or so during this season and heck for that price you can throw them in the fireplace ;-).
Good luck with tonight's party! I'm pulling for you too.

borje-chair__0112560_PE264356_S4.JPG

BÖRJE Chair - brown-black/Gobo white - IKEA

Yeah, I will get it all done, but will I get any sleep the night before the party?

I will get some cheap crystal wine glasses. I really, really prefer crystal. None of them have ever broken during a party or even party-related. It's 'cause we use them all the time. I'm not too worried about breakage. I bought this dozen in 1992 or 93 and I'm down to six. I have so much stuff that I don't really have room for "good glasses" and "everyday glasses".

Thanks Taxlady! I'm with you, I prefer crystal as well, but have been known to drink wine from a plastic wine glass.......geeze I would probably drink it from a paper cup.......errrmmm .....maybe not ;-)

8 sleeps! I've done all the shopping for work kids, the stockings are crammed full, and someone else can wrap all the stupid gifts. I'm DONE. Now I'll be working on wrapping and putting things under our tree. I have 3 days off and I'll be baking and wrapping and singing my heart out.

I borrowed Sing Star Abba from work. :angel: Heeheehee! Can't wait to break that out.

And while you are counting down to Christmas, I have only seven hours till surgery. I have to leave at 6:30 in the morning. Time to take a shower and start getting ready. I like to be tired and sleepy when I go. :angel:

And while you are counting down to Christmas, I have only seven hours till surgery. I have to leave at 6:30 in the morning. Time to take a shower and start getting ready. I like to be tired and sleepy when I go. :angel:
Here's hoping the surgery and everything around it goes smoothly and well. :angel:

Hope the surgery goes well Ads :)

Thank you everyone. I am all dressed, no makeup, and ready to go. I have my coat out and so excited. I have waited for this moment since last March. Everytime they thought I could have the surgery, my heart would act up. I made sure I took my meds right yesterday and this morning. My pickup time is six o'clock. :angel:

One week till Christmas...we know Addie will be getting what she wants, her sight back!

So, what is everyone else hoping for this year?

I'm hoping for a nice dinner, snow and a new wool sweater...I need more wool sweaters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom