Dessert!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
With everyone conscious of their weight and trying to keep the pounds off, I never make desserts anymore. Very seldom if any. So when 8-9 o'clock rolls around they ask what I got to eat? We just get through eating at 7 and then they want something. Eating some kind of fruit doesn't satisfy them. Do you all eat desserts? Every diet book says to not eat after 8 in evening. My dilemma is wondering what can I do to make them quit eating something w/o calories. They do eat cottage cheese w/fruit sometimes but won't eat every night. Feel like have group of babies that want their candy.

I bake small cookies and freeze them. I only allow myself one (or two:whistling)per evening and it seems to be enough to satisfy the sweet craving I have. I generally do not make desserts, the DH has hypoglycemia and won't eat ANY sweets. I love to bake desserts so will occassionally bake a ricotta cheesecake and freeze it in portions. And when we have company I always bake a dessert and send most of it home with the guests.

In the Kitchen said:
With everyone conscious of their weight and trying to keep the pounds off, I never make desserts anymore. Very seldom if any. So when 8-9 o'clock rolls around they ask what I got to eat? We just get through eating at 7 and then they want something. Eating some kind of fruit doesn't satisfy them. Do you all eat desserts? Every diet book says to not eat after 8 in evening. My dilemma is wondering what can I do to make them quit eating something w/o calories. They do eat cottage cheese w/fruit sometimes but won't eat every night. Feel like have group of babies that want their candy.

ITK, actually, I'm not a big dessert eater. If I have dessert, trust me it will be a super-duper no calories-barred dessert - usually if I go out to dinner - or a special event - or just because I want it. I'm more of a fruit and cheese eater.

I do like the little ice cream cups that come in vanilla w chocolate swirls or strawberry swirls; and keep them in the freezer when I want a little something. They come about 12 to a pkg.

How about frozen yogurt or making frozen yogurt pops? I keep raisins around and love cottage cheese as well. Perhaps trail mix, GORP - good old raisins and peanuts. You can add dried fruit like apricots, apples, and chocolate pretzels, mini marshmallows :rolleyes: For me, one mallowmar, did the trick. Remember those?:) Or bananas dipped in chocolate and rolled in nuts and frozen on a stick.

Last edited:
Do you give them whole fruit? It might help to cut apples and oranges into sections. Man am I craving some watermelon or grapes right now!

Thought of another dessert, easy and not high-caloric - pudding parfaits, ie. vanilla or chocolate pudding, layer of blueberries or strawberries, another layer of pudding, berries, whipped cream (low fat on top). Strawberry shortcakes - buy the little pre-packaged shortcakes (near the produce section), fill with berries and top with whipped cream.

Apologize

goboenomo said:
Who is they? When you say.. they ask what there is to eat.

Sure sorry about this! My family are 'they'! Even 'they' question me about who I am talking about. I sure apologize as I know no one can read my mind. Guess I am too isolated w/trying to please 'them' and everyone knows who I am talking about. Again I apologize for not explaining more clearly.

mish, thank you. You sound so confident in what you want. When I read some of the places you have been and you order desserts w/no thought about it. I do appreciate all your suggestions. Maybe making smaller servings would help. I am sure my family would not keep going into the kitchen for more ice cream if it were in small cups. All of them know what I am trying to achieve here. Don't want to deny only help w/maintaining their weight.

thank you all. I do value all your suggestions.

I keep fat free sugar free popsicles and fudgesicles in the freeze. I also buy ff/sf ice cream sandwiches.

It helps my craving but I still want a piece of Black Forest Cake. :pig:

Sorry again!

goboenomo said:
Who is there in your family
Your wife i figure
how old are the kids?

No wife around here. My husband and I divorced after being together too long. Now I just have lot of people who know I cook and want to eat . Since that is what I have done th majority of my life I continue. I have mixture of people every night. Some just 'drop' in others are regulars. So I was a wife now I am an ex wife?

How many people in your family? Looks like you have a pretty girlfriend. Does she cook? You probably don't care if she cooks or not. Nice to look at. Right?

Oh, do you like desserts? If so, what are some of your favorites?

Oh i'm sorry to hear about you and your husband
I live with my mom and dad and brother
My girlfriend doesnt know a thing about cooking or food... she is very very picky.. No vegetables, a few fruits its pretty sad. We had stirfry with pork one time... carrots, rice, pork, peppers, onions, mushrooms, celery, she had 2 pieces of meat and said she didnt like it so i had to make her a sandwich.
For stuff she knows how to do.... she speed skates very well... and she knows about cameras and pictures.
and then school stuff... she's very book smart...not very life smart... which is bad cause she's off to university in a week.
She just finished highschool. She got honours while taking English, French, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Calculas, and Geometry and Discrete

But yes, very nice to look at ;)

My favorite desserts.. hmm.. it's hard to choose
i made these oreo bars yesterday with white chocolate, oreos and condensed milk... it is very good!
I like to bake cookies alot ... i barely get any
my parents who claim to be "not dessert people" eat all my cookies on me...
vanilla ice cream
fruit covered with sugar
smoothies
anything lime flavored
sherberts, pies, gelatos, w/e else

In the Kitchen said:
mish, thank you. You sound so confident in what you want.

That might explain why I'm still single :ROFLMAO: j/k

Back to dessert. It's not low calorie but... I got my friend hooked on ordering groceries on line. (I like it because they deliver for about $10.) Anyhew, she told me she ordered a banana split ice cream cake, that was so good, she's ordering TWO next time. I can't keep that in the house, or I'll eat it. Sure sounds good though. :)

that sounds awesome!

ive had this wicked cake before
its banana cake with banada and chocolate swirled icing on top
soooo goood
sooo much banana!

goboenomo said:
She just finished highschool. She got honours while taking English, French, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Calculas, and Geometry and Discrete

Alex: What is "Discrete?"

And btw, welcome to DC!

itk - sorry...i kind of interrupted your thread to ask a question of alex. didn't mean to get off track.

I have the sweet tooth in our home. mr. callie doesn't often think about sweets - if they are available, he'll eat some. i often want a little something sweet in the evening. i like those bags of candy - you know, the small squares...3 musketeers, milky way, etc. one is always enough for me. just the right size!

thanks

the math class is called Geometry and Discrete math

but Discrete mathematics, also called finite mathematics, is the study of mathematical structures that are fundamentally discrete, in the sense of not supporting or requiring the notion of continuity. Most, if not all, of the objects studied in finite mathematics are countable sets, such as integers, finite graphs, and formal languages

goboenomo said:
that sounds awesome!

ive had this wicked cake before
its banana cake with banada and chocolate swirled icing on top
soooo goood
sooo much banana!

I believe you. We were on the phone while she was eating the banana split cake and she told me, even her little poodle (bijou) was licking her lips.:LOL:

Yes, we always eat dessert - Let light custard and yoghurt become your friends. We eat them with hot berries, rhubarb, peaches, crushed nuts or honey. We also sometimes have a small slice of cake after dinner with a drink. Its ok to eat dessert, just make sure dinner has left room for it. Have a smaller dinner and some dessert.

Back
Top Bottom